Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Booing Akpom

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Bloody stupid. He's a young lad who doesn't know how we play and had a tough afternoon against 2 decent CB. Doesn't seem to know when we press and when we don't and think it made him look lazy. We don't need to get on any players backs

Exactly right.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
He was very very bad today. There was one point where Knockaert was going apeshit (I think) because Akpom was so off the pace and appeared so disinterested. As a matter of principle I will not boo a player in an Albion shirt although there have been occassions (this being one) where I have been tempted.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
However poor a game a player might be having,if at least he is seen to be trying,then most fans will understand and give that player encouragement .Not seeing to be interested or trying IMO the greatest sin of any player.....!!!! (Now that laconic playing style,might well be CA s but it does him no favors if there is zero end product )

FIVESTEPS

Nov 3, 2014
Sad news trained with the Nigerian squad last week and is expected to switch allegiance from England.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
Having not read all posts I'm probably (hopefully) repeating what other folk have said but for me booing any of our players when we are sat in 2nd is absolutely scandalous and shows such a lack of decency beggars belief wind your necks in a bit

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I remember Glen Murray being booed for not looking like he was putting in the effort. The argument then from his supporters was that he's just the sort of player that looks like he isn't trying, like LeTissier. Some players just have that languid style.

I don't remember any moment in yesterday's game where Akpom's lack of effort really cost us in the sense that there was no giving up on chasing back in the build up to a goal for them. No ball rolling across an open goal while he stood and watched, etc.

His chance for a clear run on goal still required him to beat two men, either going down the line and then into the box (allowing defenders time as thy run straight to the box to cover) or, as he tried, to cut across between two defenders to get clear in the middle. It isn't unusual for even the best players to lose the ball when trying to cut between two opponents.

Which, for me, leaves the worst aspect of his game being the lack of pressing the defence when they had the ball. I'm not saying that's nothing to worry about or criticise him for, but Blackburn seemed to be a very solid, very disciplined defensive unit, so I'm not convinced we would have got much more had he put in that effort.

So as far as I was concerned, the level of booing I heard was way out of proportion. I was expecting a few boos, and quite a few threads on here criticising him (and criticising fans for criticising him), but the level of booing I heard was well above that (and only this one thread, and a couple of old threads bumped so yay for NSC?).

I was concerned when I saw he was starting, as I've seen nothing in his (albeit brief) substitute appearances to suggest he can really add anything to us, but also because we're all aware of how important Baldock has been. Perhaps I wasn't as angry as others, then, because I wasn't expecting much.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I remember Glen Murray being booed for not looking like he was putting in the effort. The argument then from his supporters was that he's just the sort of player that looks like he isn't trying, like LeTissier. Some players just have that languid style.

I don't remember any moment in yesterday's game where Akpom's lack of effort really cost us in the sense that there was no giving up on chasing back in the build up to a goal for them. No ball rolling across an open goal while he stood and watched, etc.

His chance for a clear run on goal still required him to beat two men, either going down the line and then into the box (allowing defenders time as thy run straight to the box to cover) or, as he tried, to cut across between two defenders to get clear in the middle. It isn't unusual for even the best players to lose the ball when trying to cut between two opponents.

Which, for me, leaves the worst aspect of his game being the lack of pressing the defence when they had the ball. I'm not saying that's nothing to worry about or criticise him for, but Blackburn seemed to be a very solid, very disciplined defensive unit, so I'm not convinced we would have got much more had he put in that effort.

So as far as I was concerned, the level of booing I heard was way out of proportion. I was expecting a few boos, and quite a few threads on here criticising him (and criticising fans for criticising him), but the level of booing I heard was well above that (and only this one thread, and a couple of old threads bumped so yay for NSC?).

I was concerned when I saw he was starting, as I've seen nothing in his (albeit brief) substitute appearances to suggest he can really add anything to us, but also because we're all aware of how important Baldock has been. Perhaps I wasn't as angry as others, then, because I wasn't expecting much.
Excellent post. I recall Murray being booed. I always said he was class but some people didn't share that view at the time. I do not feel that Akpom is a great prospect, however at no point did I think he wasn't trying and any boos were totally unjustified.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Where was the booing mainly from?
I didn't hear it in the East.

Booing isn't appropriate though. Yes he had a torrid game with little application shown, but I don't think it was so bad to warrant abuse.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Booing isn't appropriate though. Yes he had a torrid game with little application shown, but I don't think it was so bad to warrant abuse.

I am also in the East and didn't hear any booing. Must be those grouchy West standers I imagine.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Excellent post. I recall Murray being booed. I always said he was class but some people didn't share that view at the time. I do not feel that Akpom is a great prospect, however at no point did I think he wasn't trying and any boos were totally unjustified.

Fans will accept languidness/laziness provided there is some skill, output or end product (c.f. Murray during his first spell). Akpom offers much of the former and yesterday showed very little of the latter. That will explain the disgruntlement over his very poor performance and some, sadly, resorting to some mild booing (and let's get this into perspective, this was not booing of Hyppia against Millwall proportions).

We have a squad of players who run themselves into the ground on a match by match basis for their fellow teammates, manager and the fans. Akpom needs to buy into the philosophy that this team's defensive work starts up front by working hard, pressing and putting opposition players under pressure and when we break or go forward as a unit we do so decisively and with purpose. His work rate yesterday was just not good enough and probably explains why his career is struttering.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

There was a limited amount of booing in WSU.

singing4seagulls

Apr 2, 2017
Having not read all posts I'm probably (hopefully) repeating what other folk have said but for me booing any of our players when we are sat in 2nd is absolutely scandalous and shows such a lack of decency beggars belief wind your necks in a bit

Exactly. We are called supporters for a reason. To support.

If people want to boo players in an Albion shirt, they should go sit in the away stand.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Murray defends Akpom today in the Argus via
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/151...er___and_defends_Albion_strike_partner_Akpom/

Getting on his back is "exactly what we don't want" says Glenn.

"The first half would have been difficult for anyone. It was that type of game, neither team wanted to give much and I didn't think it really opened up second half either.
"It was just one of those games where just one chance and luckily that fell to us.
"I can't see how people can get on his back and that's exactly what we don't want. Chuba was trying his best.
"I'm sure they wouldn't have been on his back if he'd curled one in from 25 yards. It's fickle in my eyes. We need everyone."

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I feel a little sorry for players who are obviously paid too much and think that
it will last forever. Someone needs to sit Akpom down and say - "it's not a
good idea to not give a s*it about trying here". In two years time you'll be a
fringe player in League 1 if you carry on. I do not agree with booing players
but he has to understand that trying is VERY LEAST he has to do.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I certainly heard the boos in the west upper

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Pretty sure he got booed for having a hernia, and not reacting well to chants about his wife. BIT different......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here