Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Booing Akpom

DerekZoolander

Aug 15, 2011
I don't think he wasn't trying as such, unfortunately I just don't think he's very good. Nowhere near the realms of Leon Best and his non-commitment and I'll fully admit to booing that useless waste of space when he got subbed off once, after a particularly inept performance.

The few times he has come on as sub, showed a bit of something, albeit not a lot. But I don't get the booing of a young lad who's spent virtually his entire career on loan at various clubs, must be tough for him to ever feel wanted anywhere and booing him is hardly going to help.

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
I think booing your own player is a red card offence - one match ban . Shocking . Anyone who booed should be ashamed of themselves . The lad was clearly nervous and it was a difficult game to play in .

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
To the "aww, bless 'im, he just isn't very good" brigade do you really think that our management, coaching staff and recruitment team are so shite that they recruited a player who "just isn't very good"? Is that what you are saying?

He does have skill and ability. He just can't be arsed.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
To the "aww, bless 'im, he just isn't very good" brigade do you really think that our management, coaching staff and recruitment team are so shite that they recruited a player who "just isn't very good"? Is that what you are saying?

I didn't boo but in my head thought he was atrocious.

Those people you have mentioned of course have a good record but duds happen.

Akpom is a dud to the level we are at.

He may be ok the further he drops down the leagues but on the evidence of what ive seen and the 2 Hull fans I work with say . . he just isn't championship standard.

Will need to show more desire whatever level he ends up that's for sure.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Suggesting he "looked horribly out of his depth at this level...." would indicate that CH and the scouting team recruited somebody who doesn't have the skills to play for a top Championship side. I would not like to think that is the case.

He's just another billy big bollox with a Kemy / Leon Best attitude. He knows he aint staying. He knows Arsenal are going to pay him his (probably over-inflated) wedge anyway. So why should he give a shit? Oh wait. He didn't.

I'd prefer to think that the club would have done due diligence to filter out any 'billy big bollox' before even agreeing to take them out on loan. Pretty sure that's the case here. Lad just wasn't up to the pace of the Championship on the day. Learning experience for all involved, I'd have thought.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Suggesting he "looked horribly out of his depth at this level...." would indicate that CH and the scouting team recruited somebody who doesn't have the skills to play for a top Championship side. I would not like to think that is the case.

I would think it's pretty evident at this stage that he was several places down from first choice in January.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Yes, I saw that. Knockaert wasn't going 'ape' just at Akpom, though - he was annoyed about pressing on his own, and was screaming, and gesticulating for the whole team to be pressing forward.

Well, you could say it was directed at Muzza as well, but certainly not the whole team.

Kayal's rant (off the ball) not long before Akpom was substituted, was definitely directed at him though.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Was there really booing? Not good dat

It usually happens that someone coming into the team after a layoff always takes a few games to get up to speed. Certainly true of Kayal lately, Knockaert after his dad died, and others too. I think we can give Akpom a bit of slack on his first game, it will take him a while to get up to speed. Unfortunately for him he won't get that opportunity

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I don't condone booing our players at this stage of the season considering how close we are to the finishing line. On the other hand, it might give him the kick up the backside he clearly needs.

The only kick up the backside I hope he gets is to make sure he's getting on the bus back to Arsenal.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Was there really booing? Not good dat

It usually happens that someone coming into the team after a layoff always takes a few games to get up to speed. Certainly true of Kayal lately, Knockaert after his dad died, and others too. I think we can give Akpom a bit of slack on his first game, it will take him a while to get up to speed. Unfortunately for him he won't get that opportunity
Yes, but not as much as is being made out. I reckon about 4 or 5 people amongst the 1000 or so within earshot. Which extrapolates up to about 100-150 perhaps in the 30,000 crowd.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
#Wrong-Direction and his mates in the North didn't hear any booing.
I didn't in East Upper either.
I was booing the nomark next to me when he woke up :moo:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005

Bullshit. Do you really think we would sign and start a player with any hint of not being arsed about him?

Truth is that he simply had a tough time against tricky opposition in a tight game.

Anyone who booed him is a complete idiot and I would guess likely to be JCL.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
He didn't play a good game, offered very little, when he did push forward was offside. But I don't think starting him was the wrong decision looking at who we had fit and available. Not like you could bring him on (going on all past bench appearances) and expect and impact. Whereas Hemed did just that. I didn't hear any booing where I was in the ESU. I didn't read all 8 pages so all of this may have been said.

Loftslaces

Apr 6, 2016
Graffham
Here is a timeline of my reactions to Akpom
1. Great - finally give him a chance to start
2. Got clean tackled twice - dont worry lad keep going
3. 10 mins in - forgot he was playing
4. Oh there he is - walking around - chilling
5. Jesus Christ Arsenal are shit
6. Sub him - please sub him
7. Really he survived half time
8. forgot about him again
9. there he is - picking flowers
10. Wenger is not the problem with Arsenal
11. Laughing (not booing) when he got subbed (I mean surly everyone realized this was the longest running April Fools for a while - no way that guy plays football for a living!)

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
#Wrong-Direction and his mates in the North didn't hear any booing.
I didn't in East Upper either.
I was booing the nomark next to me when he woke up :moo:

I was in the north (police box area) and I heard quite loud booing and couldn't work out what is was for. Nobody around me was booing though. :shrug:

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Bullshit. Do you really think we would sign and start a player with any hint of not being arsed about him?

Truth is that he simply had a tough time against tricky opposition in a tight game.

Anyone who booed him is a complete idiot and I would guess likely to be JCL.

Sorry but he did show every sign of not being arsed. Total lack of chasing back defenders and jogging around looking rather half arsed. I don't think CH and the crew have misjudged him, they brought in, what seemed on paper, to be the perfect Baldock cover player. As I have said before, I did not boo, ( I did however clap very slowly while saying 'Yeah thanks mate, now f**k off back to London!"), but can understand those who did, and hope that it helps him remove that digit up his arse.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It looks as if Baldock is still injured for tomorrow, so the chances are that Akpom will play.

I'd rather play Murray and Hemed, or just one up front personally, but if he comes onto the pitch I'll be giving the whole team total support.

If someone can show me how booing one of your own players (especially one starting a game for the first time) is beneficial then I'm happy to reconsider.

I see Glenn Murray has called those who booed Akpom 'fickle' in the Argus today, so perhaps GM should be booed too? He didn't clap the fans at Brentford six years ago either, so has history of disrespecting some of the Albion's finest supporters.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here