Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Petrol station on B2117 that became a restaurant

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Ok, this will really tax even NSC.

Last night we went to The Ginger Fox, which is a restaurant on the corner of the A281 and B2117, near Singing Hills golf club. Now many many years ago, back in the 1960s it used to be a petrol station. It was quite quaint as it had a thatched roof.

Anyone remember it? And crucially does anyone have any pictures of it?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
From 1978:

Capture.JPG

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Can't imagine why that didn't catch on.

H&S gone mad! Apparently I'm not allowed to smoke my Hamlet whilst at the pump anymore! So when ever asked, i take one step off said land turn 180 degrees and stare at the cashier whilist enjoying the mildness. #bliss

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Pretty sure that even in the 80s it was the restaurant/pub, The Shaves Thatch.

One of Mrs Jakartas Friends had her 40th there - for some reason I thought she said she enjoyed the Shaved Snatch and I've never been to look at her in quite the same way since... :ohmy:

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patreon
Jan 19, 2010
I remember it as a National Garage. They used to have a promotion where you could collect figurines of The Smurfs.

Promosmurfs_NationalGarage_HiddenintheWoods.JPG

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Shaves Thatch! Yes, that was the name of the first restaurant on that site. And yes it was a National garage, I can't remember when it closed but I'm pretty sure it was before the 1990s. I do remember it being featured in an advertising campaign. Because it resembled a country pub someone used it to advertise a car's fuel economy with the slogan "They'll miss you at the local"

No one has a link to any photos? (Thunderbolt, whilst that link does include some lovely downland photos of Fulking/Poynings it didn't have what I wanted).

Have I finally beaten NSC? :)

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
Believe it or not, but the EU was apparently responsible for many smaller (and therefore rural) filling stations closing down.. It was an EU directive and something to do with the size of the storage tanks underground – or so the man who a ran one between Maidenhead and Bracknell told me just before he closed down.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We moved to Burgess Hill (The Cricketers) in 1999 and I thought that the Shaved Thatch was there then as one of our customers was a chef there. Not sure when it changed use and name.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We moved to Burgess Hill (The Cricketers) in 1999 and I thought that the Shaved Thatch was there then as one of our customers was a chef there. Not sure when it changed use and name.

I used to play darts for the Cricks........just before your time though I think

So it is. The Shaves Thatch garage used to look very similar. My Dad's family lived in Henfield, so we would pass it quite often.

Think it was a pub when we first moved here (1991), don't ever remember it as a garage. Had a scoot around on the web, amazed there don't seem to be any references to it

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I remember the ginger fox as the shaves thatch. It was that for as long as I remember. I don't remember a garage. So that must be about 30 years = mid 80s it was a pub / restaurant

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here