Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The best things about the United Kingdom

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I suppose it's good to be reminded that we are not just starting to say goodbye to the EU today, but also to over 400 years of political union. Who knew that the only thing the Conservative Party wanted to conserve was the Conservative Party?

The ability to make everything the Tories fault!

Even though more of them wanted to remain!

Putting aside that the point was that it was utterly irresponsible and selfish of the Conservatives to offer the referendum when their leadership didn't even want to leave, but thought it may defend them from the perceived electoral threat of UKIP your other point is completely wrong. 58% of Tory voters voted leave:

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2016/06/how-the-united-kingdom-voted-and-why/

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Never understand this. How do most monoglot brits even know what the humour of non English speaking countries is like?

Because they import all of our comedy shows-theirs are all pathetic!:lolol:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Being able to drive around the m25 with no hold ups as all the nasty foreigners have buggered off home.....oh wait.....2 1/2 hours to Hounslow today ....they can't have gone yet....wtf did I vote for brexit for?

Jeez

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I would have once said "our politicians" in response to this thread, and meant every word. Historically, we've had strong convicted people in the Commons, and compared to many countries, they're not a corrupt bunch. I've always felt proud of that.

Sadly, that all changed after 2010. The politicians running both main parties have been gutless, cowardly and incompetent. Thatcher would be turning in her grave at the current shower of shit on both sides of the house. :nono:

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I would have once said "our politicians" in response to this thread, and meant every word. Historically, we've had strong convicted people in the Commons, and compared to many countries, they're not a corrupt bunch. I've always felt proud of that.

Sadly, that all changed after 2010. The politicians running both main parties have been gutless, cowardly and incompetent. Thatcher would be turning in her grave at the current shower of shit on both sides of the house. :nono:

agreed and I would say that most people still go in with the best of intentions - the disconnect with what is perceived as a political class is one of the big issues of our time, but it saddens me that it's a them and us, when in reality office or responsibility at many levesl is attainable by anyone motivated enough.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Test Match Special (More generally the BBC)
Charity Shops. Not really much of a culture of them in other places i've been but it's a good idea
NHS
Our Stadia
The culture of attending events (10k for some div 4 games) .....
The Summer Music Festivals
Our variety of regional accents.
Sunday Roasts

The downsides are

Huge class divide
Too many fat people
Some truly appalling towns
Some revolting tabloids

And on the subject of our politicians ... If there's one phrase I think is always true when it comes to politics, it;s that you get the politicians you deserve

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
In no particular order Democracy, rule of law, NHS, emergency services, armed forces, welfare system, compassion, tolerance, the (not so) silent majority. Calm, dignified and mature way we accept the result of free and fair elections ..sense of humour.

Mmmmm....... :wink::wozza::lolol::bigwave:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The British armed forces.
Tea.
Inventing things.
Last night of the proms

You forgot cold showers, sitting still, not speaking until you're spoken to, and standing for the National Anthem. FFS. Only the though of emigration would banish my desire for death, in your world. There is an infinity of joy and wonder out there. Take a look sometime . . .

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
BBC, esp R4
Our lush countryside
Our Doctors and nurses

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
What I like about it football, the weather (yes really), the humour, the history, irony, our collective goodwill.

What I dislike about it, the decline of manners, the way the other members seem to think they are doing us a favour by remaining, our declining collective intelligence , the infrastructure and the contempt with which we are governed.

But overall where is better? Especially if you burn under a lightbulb? :whistle:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What I like about it football, the weather (yes really), the humour, the history, irony, our collective goodwill.

What I dislike about it, the decline of manners, the way the other members seem to think they are doing us a favour by remaining, our declining collective intelligence , the infrastructure and the contempt with which we are governed.

But overall where is better? Especially if you burn under a lightbulb? :whistle:

The weather? That's my main issue.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here