Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murphy

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
It seems strange he has been totally left out of the squad since the Forest debacle. He was as poor as anyone else on that day but I felt he had played well in the previous three games. Man of the match V Reading.

I rate him and love how direct he is, he’s not quite been as consistent this season but I feel he was improving.

How do you lot rate him?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Good player. I rate him..

But then again I rate all our wingers.
All capable of winning a game on their day.
He is joint third IMO.

Can't fault the selection of Skalak and Knocky, with Solly to come on later for the recent run of games.
I think we could possibly switch to Murphy for the next couple.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Very much this(Above post)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I didn't read that he'd had a knock, but I did read that his wife was expecting. That might explain his absence -- Norwood was left out of the 18 a month or two back for this reason.
I also think that Murphy had found his best form of the season, so find it difficult to view his absence from the 18 over the past few games due to his performance(s).

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I didn't read that he'd had a knock, but I did read that his wife was expecting. That might explain his absence -- Norwood was left out of the 18 a month or two back for this reason.
I also think that Murphy had found his best form of the season, so find it difficult to view his absence from the 18 over the past few games due to his performance(s).

Very much this. i saw online that he was on paternity leave as his wife had just given birth.

As many know I am a big fan of Murphy and he is the lads favourite player. I think the last few months he has been very good. He is a great asset and his movement is great. I think he suffers from the fact that our players will look for Knocky more often than not meaning he has more chances to impress. Murph has made some great runs and some good goals and has much better pace than Skalak

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Afraid in my view he is fourth out of 4. Great finish against Reading but not sure he did that much more. Poor against Brentford. Seems to have bags of talent but doesn't know how to use it. Final ball, whether a shot or a cross, is no where near good enough far too often. Agree with others that he and Skalak will struggle if we go up but maybe the biggest problem for both of them is that we are blessed with two outstanding players in AK and SM!

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

If his wife has been giving birth over the last 5 weeks you could be right. I suspect he is carrying an injury and it may be a continuation of the one he had at the end of last season and is being used sparingly. I think he had a groin issue. I don't know for certain or if I am near the truth, it is just what I suspect, and it's not down to his performances.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Naylor reported that Hughton left Murphy out purely for tactical reasons.

All his mid/attacking players are now fit so that leaves him limited flexibility with the 18.
Assuming normal 11 then its hard to see how he can pick all 4 wingers in squad (Hemed, Akpom, March AND Murphy leaves him limited mid/defence cover on bench).
one of the wingers has to go. Skalak wasn't in the squad at all for a while for the same reasons.
i know we all love a conspiracy if players don't make the 18 but it can sometimes be for tactical reasons not injuries or babies given depth of squad. .

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Afraid in my view he is fourth out of 4. Great finish against Reading but not sure he did that much more. Poor against Brentford. Seems to have bags of talent but doesn't know how to use it. Final ball, whether a shot or a cross, is no where near good enough far too often. Agree with others that he and Skalak will struggle if we go up but maybe the biggest problem for both of them is that we are blessed with two outstanding players in AK and SM!

I'm rather taken aback by this comment. MOM against Reading and possibly the best he's ever played for us. Full of direct running and a constant menace.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Don't rate him that much. He does have good games and I did think he was beginning to come good, but generally inconsistent, poor crosser of the ball, defensively okay but not great and not particularly good at finishing when he has time to think. Better when he cuts in and shoots instinctively.

All of that said, we could do a lot worse.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
No knock then? Obvs getting confused, sorry.
Murphy can be brilliant, but it very inconsistent. That said, CH chooses players to go against certain full backs so when the right full back needs attacking he'll come back in.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
FWIW I think that at home attacking teams he is a better option than Skalak provided the defensive side of our game is well covered by whoever is playing left back. If adopting a more defensive formation in away games I would sggest that Skalak is a better option. However whoever of the 2 starts I would look at possibly replacing them at 65-70 mins with March.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Cant think of many who were that good against Brentford....I think we have a good mix in our four wingers of which he is one.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Very much this. i saw online that he was on paternity leave as his wife had just given birth.

As many know I am a big fan of Murphy and he is the lads favourite player. I think the last few months he has been very good. He is a great asset and his movement is great. I think he suffers from the fact that our players will look for Knocky more often than not meaning he has more chances to impress. Murph has made some great runs and some good goals and has much better pace than Skalak

Very much this too.
I'm of the view that Murphy is ranked third out of four/five of our wingers/wide players, behind Knockaert and March. I'd agree with that assessment of him, especially the fact that he's been in great positions but hasn't been found but would add the problem overwhelmingly here is not that others are passing to Knockaert, more that Knockaert is ignoring Murphy or even getting in his way when Murphy's well set.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here