Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

3 teen burglars shot dead inside home they had broken into in the US

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
They shouldn't have been there, it's about choices.
They were armed with knuckle dusters and knives, so expected resistance.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm just going on common sense. I think it's unlikely he just held the trigger for 2.5 seconds and sprayed bullets around killing them all, it's much more likely he fired more than one burst.
Sorry, but that's complete nonsense. Pure supposition at best. You weren't there, so can have no idea.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Again some people assuming the family had house insurance and why put up a fight, well we have family that have the attitude its to expensive to have contents insurance, and if they break in when their home why should I need insurance when we have guns and crossbows in the house, that is their insurance.

There are so many things we take for granted in this country.

A trusted police force.
Payed holidays.
Health care.

To name a few, in America parts truly are literally third world.

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
I don't think you can call your shots unless you're some sort of trained marksman, all this "Shoot them in the leg" rubbish is very nice in theory, try it at 3am in the dark when you're in panic mode.
Not just the aiming, from the stats given the clip is 30 and it empties that in a few seconds, it's not designed for accuracy and I presume you would do short bursts aimed at the body. If you miss or don't incapacitate them you would likely be killed, all this shout a warning is ok for trained marksman working as part of a team, but not when your terrified faced with 3 hooded attackers dressed in black who you think are carrying guns themselves, you would shoot to incapacitate first before making them aware of you.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Reading reports on this it appears that one of the intruders had a knuckle duster, (no mention of whether it was in his pocket or on his hand), and one a knife, (again no mention of its whereabouts) the third was unarmed.

It wasn't the homeowner that did the shooting but his 23 year old son - apparently he was alone in the house.

Hearing a noise the son got his gun and went to the kitchen and following a "short exchange of words", then the 23 year old opened fire.

Interesting that there has been another incident in Alabama with a different outcome - http://weartv.com/news/local/delgadillo

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
What about the mess, all those bullet holes, blood everywhere, police tramping everywhere, lots to clear up. Are you insured for making loads of bullet holes by your own gun?

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I dont know whats more worrying - the fact that someone has a weapon like that in the house & ends up killing 3 people....or the fact I basically shrugged my shoulders in acceptance of what seems to have become part of the norm over there.

On a (sort of) related topic - did anyone else see a few days ago that Arkansas may be allowing hand guns to be carried at College football & basketball games from 2018?!! WHY???? Now that is a bat-shit mental idea....& asking for trouble.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
26 years ago, I heard a noise in my kitchen at 5am. I thought one of my teenage kids wasn't feeling well, so I walked down the stairs calling out, 'Who's in the kitchen?' The light was on, and as I reached the door, I noticed the back door was wide open.
There was a man by the sink, and he saw me and ran for it. Luckily for me, as he was very near the cutlery drawer, and could've grabbed a knife. He only had time to grab my daughter's purse, which was thrown out of the car further down the road. I didn't have time to get the registration, but her card was cancelled immediately, so a few months later a woman was arrested trying to use it in a shop.

:rant: the face that frightened a burglar!!!

I was fine until the police arrived an hour later, and then went into shock. :cry::cry:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I don't know if I could live with myself for killing a burglar, surely a bullet in the leg would've been enough. Shoot all 3 of them in the leg and call the cops...

This is a common idea trotted out by people who haven't been trained in using guns. Training dictates you aim for the largest body mass which happens to be the torso.

Nobody trains to maim or even to head shot people. If you're going to shoot people as a form of defence you're shooting to bring them down so that they can't come back at you. Shooting people in the legs is all very movie like, in reality it's not easy to do and secondly there's a fair chance you miss a leg and the bullet exits into another room or even to the outside of the house where an innocent person could be hit.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sorry, but that's complete nonsense. Pure supposition at best. You weren't there, so can have no idea.
Supposition just like the original post I was countering you mean! :
After he shot one, wouldn't the others have fled? If they've been shot in the back or trying to leave, he's a murder in my book.
25 rounds in 2.5 seconds apparently, not a lot of time to turn and run.
And I'm going to be right.

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
Reading reports on this it appears that one of the intruders had a knuckle duster, (no mention of whether it was in his pocket or on his hand), and one a knife, (again no mention of its whereabouts) the third was unarmed.

It wasn't the homeowner that did the shooting but his 23 year old son - apparently he was alone in the house.

Hearing a noise the son got his gun and went to the kitchen and following a "short exchange of words", then the 23 year old opened fire.

Interesting that there has been another incident in Alabama with a different outcome - http://weartv.com/news/local/delgadillo
If it's true and there's been an exchange of words it makes it more troubling, I find it unlikely you would attack someone who was pointing an assault rifle at you, all supposition though.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If it's true and there's been an exchange of words it makes it more troubling
The gunman said "The jewelry is kept in the basement, please just take that and leave". What the child burglars didn't know was that the basement had been setup as a kill zone with no means of escape.

Although I may have made that up.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Nobody trains to maim or even to head shot people.

British special forces are trained to hit twice one each for chest and head.

Maim and finish in the same sequence.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Just updating this episode, the three burglars had broken into a garage on the same property earlier in the day and returned because the getaway driver allegedly told them about possible expensive items in the house

Three Oklahoma teenagers who were shot dead during a suspected home invasion this week broke into a detached garage on the property earlier the same day and stole liquor from a game room, authorities said Thursday.

Maxwell Cook, Jacob Redfern and Jakob Woodruff robbed the converted apartment earlier Monday and decided to return the house in an affluent Tulsa-area neighborhood after a woman suspected of driving them there had "indirect knowledge" there might be expensive items to steal inside, Wagoner County sheriff's deputy Nick Mahoney said.

The alleged getaway driver, 21-year-old Elizabeth Marie Rodriguez, is jailed without bond on murder and burglary warrants.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
And that doesn't take into account all the times that a burglar flees as soon as they become aware that someone is in the house and (in the case of breaking in when the owner is asleep) that they are awake and likely to confront them. Burglars are not wanting to be seen (knife and knuckle dusters may have been a last resort if cornered and had to fight their way out rather than an aggressive approach)

The home owner shouting i have a gun and to get out of the house would probably have been just as effective a way to stop the burglary (even with them being unable to see the homeowner) and would have meant that these young adults would still be alive - the Police yell when entering a property on a raid so why would someone just open fire without giving them a chance to flee first and only fire if absolutely necessary?

The problem is that citizens are scared into thinking every burglar is out to kill or rape too and that you need to have firearms to keep yourself safe. (through the media reporting and propaganda from the gun industry that benefits from people feeling afraid and feeling the need to arm themselves) It's the mindset of the population to mistrust each other that leads to this need to shoot first, shoot later and shoot some more

The items stolen, if they had been successful would probably been replaced by the insurance company yet to many Americans (and a few people on here) think losing their life is justified to protect these replaceable possessions. They may be wrong for doing it, and they may have been caught anyway and punished legally through the courts, but they are still someone's son, someone's daughter and friends and family have lost people dear to them. If Martin McGuinness can go from a life of violence to peace, why couldn't these burglars have changed their ways in later life too and become useful members to society (and that's before you look at want led them to commit the burglary in the first place (desperation?)

All very well to try and consider their backstory or their possible futures on a forum. But in that moment there is only one future I'm thinking of, my family's. Bang. Bang. Bang. **** them and their future.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Uninvited & over the threshold? Carte Blanch springs to mind,you really have raise the energy levels in order that no harm comes your way,survival instinct kicks in and you fight to live effectively...you or them

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Supposition just like the original post I was countering you mean! :

And I'm going to be right.

Ah! Now I see why you were so rabid with my post yesterday. You don't like being shown up as wrong. An assault rifle like that would easily kill all three in one short burst of about 1.5 secones. Highly unlikely he would have used 3, paced out bursts to kill them. This would have al been over in about 2 seconds. They wouldn't have had a chance to run.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Ah! Now I see why you were so rabid with my post yesterday. You don't like being shown up as wrong.
Is this just a shit April fools joke? I have no problem saying when I'm wrong, I've done it many times here. When it happens I just say something along the lines of oops, my bad, and post a blush smiley. I don't keep arguing unless I know I'm right, with your grammatical mistake being a good example.

An assault rifle like that would easily kill all three in one short burst of about 1.5 secones. Highly unlikely he would have used 3, paced out bursts to kill them. This would have al been over in about 2 seconds. They wouldn't have had a chance to run.
When I read Bob's post saying "25 rounds in 2.5 seconds apparently, not a lot of time to turn and run." I assumed he'd read that's how long it had taken in a news report, but I didn't think it was likely, so I checked and couldn't see it, and I'm confident that's not what happened.

Here's some evidence:
Jon Davis, Marine Corps weapons instructor:
"The fastest, I mean fastest I have seen an AR-15 shoot is 25 rounds in 2.5 seconds. That was due to the use of a slide stock, which causes the weapon’s recoil to allow the shooter to depress and press the trigger without stopping, allowing a semi-automatic weapon to fire as if it were an automatic."

That may be where Bob got his information from.

Civilian AR-15s are not like that though, they only have the semi-automatic setting, not the automatic setting, so they can't fire 25 bullets in 2.5 seconds anyway. And that's even if he was trying to break a record when shooting, while the burglars all stood nicely together.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Is this just a shit April fools joke? I have no problem saying when I'm wrong, I've done it many times here. When it happens I just say something along the lines of oops, my bad, and post a blush smiley. I don't keep arguing unless I know I'm right, with your grammatical mistake being a good example.

When I read Bob's post saying "25 rounds in 2.5 seconds apparently, not a lot of time to turn and run." I assumed he'd read that's how long it had taken in a news report, but I didn't think it was likely, so I checked and couldn't see it, and I'm confident that's not what happened.

Here's some evidence:
Jon Davis, Marine Corps weapons instructor:
"The fastest, I mean fastest I have seen an AR-15 shoot is 25 rounds in 2.5 seconds. That was due to the use of a slide stock, which causes the weapon’s recoil to allow the shooter to depress and press the trigger without stopping, allowing a semi-automatic weapon to fire as if it were an automatic."

That may be where Bob got his information from.

Civilian AR-15s are not like that though, they only have the semi-automatic setting, not the automatic setting, so they can't fire 25 bullets in 2.5 seconds anyway. And that's even if he was trying to break a record when shooting, while the burglars all stood nicely together.

Okay. Whatever you say.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here