Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I still remember Kelvin Morton, 27.03.1989

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 8, 2005
I was there, also 17. Most bizarre game ever. The 2-1 defeat almost felt like a win!

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
Ha ha. I was 17 too. Do we know each other? I seem to remember them painting the penalty spot at half time.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Was it really that long ago it only seems like yesterday. Although what could have turned into a nightmare ended up being a comedy due to Palace's woeful penalties.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I still remember Kelvin Morton too, but for slightly different reasons as I taught Kelvin's son Matthew at Culford Prep School back in 1997.

He became a Premiership referee's assessor and invited me to watch Leicester v Derby, which ended up 4-2 to the home team.

On the way back, I asked him about the infamous game of 1989 between Palace and Albion.

He maintained that all 5 of the penalties he awarded were justified.

Having seen the penalties, I disagreed.

It was a long drive home.

ManxSeagull

NSC Creator
Jul 5, 2003
Isle of Man
Just to keep the chain going.. I was also there and aged 17 !!!!

My mate got thrown out for verbals to Palace fans through the fencing, he then got let back in for his own safety

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
My first away game, aged 15.

Seems like there were a lot of teenagers there that day then.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
herecomesaregular;785965 2 said:
Although not what a fat f*^k he was. One of my greatest Albion experiences embedded in my mind at 17, even though we lost.

I was there, also 17. Most bizarre game ever. The 2-1 defeat almost felt like a win!

Ha ha. I was 17 too. Do we know each other? I seem to remember them painting the penalty spot at half time.

Just to keep the chain going.. I was also there and aged 17 !!!!

My mate got thrown out for verbals to Palace fans through the fencing, he then got let back in for his own safety

Also there but much OLDER

(18)

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 8, 2005
I still remember Kelvin Morton too, but for slightly different reasons as I taught Kelvin's son Matthew at Culford Prep School back in 1997.

He became a Premiership referee's assessor and invited me to watch Leicester v Derby, which ended up 4-2 to the home team.

On the way back, I asked him about the infamous game of 1989 between Palace and Albion.

He maintained that all 5 of the penalties he awarded were justified.

Having seen the penalties, I disagreed.

It was a long drive home.

As I recall it, the lamest penalty given was actually our own one! Which was expertly put away by Alan Curbishley. He was a great penalty taker.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
As I recall it, the lamest penalty given was actually our own one! Which was expertly put away by Alan Curbishley. He was a great penalty taker.

I spoke to him a few years ago and he thought they were all penalties, but I have to say ours was soft, and so was their first - the Palace player was clearly backing into Larry May.

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
I was there but not 17.

I remember feeling hard done by at the time and felt conned by the ref. In hindsight their pens were pretty fair.

I also remember constantly checking 'Match facts' (I was 12) for a good while after and noticing him giving a good number of penalties in most games he reffed.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
At the age of 20, I'm beginning to think I must have been the oldest Albion fan there!

Hilarious to see Morton sprinting to the same spot of the pitch (intersection of the edge of the penalty area and goalline) for each of the first 4 penalties (is that something referees are/were trained to do?). However, even he couldn't be bothered to do that for the fifth one!

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
At the age of 20, I'm beginning to think I must have been the oldest Albion fan there!

Hilarious to see Morton sprinting to the same spot of the pitch (intersection of the edge of the penalty area and goalline) for each of the first 4 penalties (is that something referees are/were trained to do?). However, even he couldn't be bothered to do that for the fifth one!

I can best that - 35 - and my dad was 67.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Remember the cover of Gulls Eye with Kelvin escaping in a helicopter. Great day out. Saw Albion beat Charlton from the same vantage point around the same time I think

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here