Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Get rid of the bloody ugly thing

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I quite like the look of it, particularly at dusk/night.

I think a lot of people are maybe missing the point of it. Brighton is a tourist town. No doubt if you look at the I360 through the eyes of a local it may well be a bit of a pointless eyesore. You may well get better views if you jump on a bus and go on the downs. Look at it through the eyes of a tourist though and it's pretty cool. It's an instant noticeable feature of the landscape, it'll become as synonymous with the town as the Pavilion and Palace Pier(a good comparison...how often do locals go on that? Yet every tourist that has ever been to the town goes on it) .

It's for the tourists and will have knock on benefits for the whole seafront (as can already be seen with the new/redevelopments). It gets a :thumbsup: from me.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
You can't.

You can...on a clear day you can just see the top of the Eiffel Tower and the hovecrafts whinging their way from Ramsgate across the channel.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You can...on a clear day you can just see the top of the Eiffel Tower and the hovecrafts whinging their way from Ramsgate across the channel.

Sorry, I don't believe you. You are actually higher up, on the Racecourse, in Silks restaurant and cannot see that far.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
You can...on a clear day you can just see the top of the Eiffel Tower

image.jpg

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
How the i360 ever got planning permission is beyond me - it is the ugliest thing I've seen in years. The only plus is apparently there are no queues to go on it. My neighbour went 2 weeks ago on a Saturday and said there were only 22 on the journey he made. I thought it was supposed to hold 200?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I am neither here no there on it from a visual perspective,i suppose its on the margins of acceptable.

This is far superior in my opinion.._83450907_spinnaker2.jpg

Portsmouth-Spinnaker Tower.

Attachments

• spinnaker-tower-gunwharf-700704-o.jpg
    spinnaker-tower-gunwharf-700704-o.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 89

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The Volks railway is going to be shut all summer, the arches are all closed off. Brighton is a shambles.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I am neither here no there on it from a visual perspective,i suppose its on the margins of acceptable.

This is far superior in my opinion..

Portsmouth-Spinnaker Tower.

The Spinnaker is a big chest out 'look at me' statement for the regeneration of a part of the city needing development and investment. Interesting you got a shot of the external lift that they never did get working!

The i360 is minimal for a viewing structure. You couldn't be anymore minimalist or subtle to get that high. Personally, at ground level the conversion of the Regency pavilions into ticket offices looks great along the promenade. I go past it a lot, and like it. It's dynamic without detracting or dominating. The verticality does compliment the horizontality of the Palace Pier, whenever I travel from Hove Lagoon East bound, it doesn't dominate for me, I find myself still absorbed in the architecture of the seafront and our Squares than the i360.

Last time I was in Brighton it looked a lot worse than that.........bin men on strike (yet again) and crap everywhere....the sight of a shitty nappy strewn amongst other debris walking up North St. a 'highlight' I won't forget.
It always seems so incredibly filthy. I hope things have improved though coz deep down I love Brighton especially all the old Brightonians, a dying breed. I can't comment on the ithingy as haven't seen it in the flesh BUT to let the West Pier crumble into the sea was a disgrace. To have a grade 1 and grade 2 listed pier in the city would have been a real tourist draw.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
For the majority of regular folk, Brighton has had its day. It's become a strange anomoly. A haven for London evacuees, stag parties and 40 year olds who can't stay out of the pub.
Shame. It was a great town in it's day.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
For the majority of regular folk, Brighton has had its day. It's become a strange anomoly. A haven for London evacuees, stag parties and 40 year olds who can't stay out of the pub.

What sentimental nostalgic nonsense. The city has a thriving creative scene, lots of design companies, artists, performers, the festival and fringe have never been so buoyant. All year round various gigs, performances, exhibitions, open house. Universities and education continuing to grow. Various societies, inclusive events - it's perhaps never been so vibrant. A thriving eclectic place to live. Yeah, West Street is as you describe, but who the hell hangs out round there if you live here!? :shrug:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
What sentimental nostalgic nonsense. The city has a thriving creative scene, lots of design companies, artists, performers, the festival and fringe have never been so buoyant. All year round various gigs, performances, exhibitions, open house. Universities and education continuing to grow. Various societies, inclusive events - it's perhaps never been so vibrant. A thriving eclectic place to live. Yeah, West Street is as you describe, but who the hell hangs out round there if you live here!? :shrug:

Yeah, nice to visit those things. Unless your minted it's a dive to live in.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Why? Because you got tired of it? Plenty of people discovering Brighton for the first time and others enjoying living here as much as ever. Don't believe everything you read in the Argus comments section. In fact don't believe most of it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here