Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Get rid of the bloody ugly thing

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Seems like some engineers were looking for some suckers to try out a basically untested technology, and Brighton Council put themselves forward as guinea pigs - and now we're lumbered with the bloody thing

I'm sure Libertas had many detractors, however they all lived in NY/NJ, you don't live in Brighton so let's at least drop the "we're lumbered" bit!

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I'm sure Libertas had many detractors, however they all lived in NY/NJ, you don't live in Brighton so let's at least drop the "we're lumbered" bit!

To compare the Statue of Liberty to the i360 is laughable

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
You have got to be joking. EIGHT days in 240 is hardly reasonable for a supposedly multi-million hi-tech structure... 8 days sick leave in 2/3 of a year is sackable level of functionality.

Wow, hope that you do not run your own business and have any staff who suffer a real medical issue.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Despite it not being the best looking thing IMO. I still I love it. I think people underestimate the impact something like this can have on the image of a city and the positive effect it can have on tourism. This summer I bet that thing rakes in money.

The downtime is a bit of an issue. But these kinds of projects almost always have teething problems. The media love a reason to put down something like this. So there's no surprise in the "faulty tower" headlines.

Now, if only they could get whatever genius rebuilt the (beautiful) ticket booths to just whack up a new West Pier, we'd be laughing!

Despite it not being the best looking thing IMO. I still I love it. I think people underestimate the impact something like this can have on the image of a city and the positive effect it can have on tourism. This summer I bet that thing rakes in money.

The downtime is a bit of an issue. But these kinds of projects almost always have teething problems. The media love a reason to put down something like this. So there's no surprise in the "faulty tower" headlines.

Now, if only they could get whatever genius rebuilt the (beautiful) ticket booths to just whack up a new West Pier, we'd be laughing!

I haven't taken a "flight" on it yet but intend on doing so even though I'm not a fan of how it looks but the BBC running an article entitled "faulty tower" can't be great for the image of Brighton surely.

D

Deleted member 2719

I hate that blot on our coastline.... BA i360.
Just read it's closed for the third time in 8 months. Not only is it embarrassing for our City to have this often reported failure .... it's all wrong and shouldn't be sitting there offending the eyes of Sussex folk. Off with their heads

Get a grip man, it's bringing business into Brighton and makes Brighton stand out from other coastal towns/cities and they will get the reliability eventually, when you get something out of the ordinary its always going to need more attention.

Let's face it the AMEX is pretty special is that a blot???

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Well I don't live in Brighton so probably my comments are not relevant but as a fairly frequent visitor I have to say I quite like it and intend to use it as soon as I can.
Look at the fuss that was made over the Millennium Dome - derided as a white elephant when it was built and now the biggest indoor concert venue in London with plenty of activities even for non concert goers. The London Eye too - that was only going to be there for a short while but it is still on the banks of the Thames and raking in a profit each year.
Perhaps all that the i360 needs are more uses - giant Maypole perhaps for everyone to dance round - using blue and white ribbons of course !

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Obviously it is here to stay and "get rid" isn't an option because it would be harder to dismantle than erect. I don't know how many years it will last but certainly hundreds but I am curious to know if there is even a viable plan to dismantle it. Over time all of the cans will weld themselves together and they cannot use the reverse technique of its build.

Probably the easiest way to bring it down is to just topple it onto the beach which would be one hell of a spectacle.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
As a business case, reckon the i360 about as likely to attract 'unique visitor football' or whatever the BS marketing term is, as the Spinnaker Tower does for Portsmouth. Both places have far finer visitor attractions of far more lasting historical importance. I'd suggest it's maybe something to spend your money on if you're a visitor or local at a bit of a loose end, but unlikely IMHO to ever appear anywhere near the top of anybody's Bucket List Of Things To Do In Sussex.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Speak for yourself.

And for those who don't wish to encourage tourism, money and jobs.

It hasn't been open for eight days in 240. Can you personally claim the same level of functionality?

I've been awake, on and off, for the last 11,680 days; is that what you meant?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here