Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ticket upgrades next season

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
with this system they are creating more empty seats not less. My friends fathers health is not great. He is ok now but seat empty for last 2 games because had already been upgraded 6 times. Doesnt make sense as not only would seat been occupied but club would have gained by increased price OAP to Adult.
Just dont understand why club prefer empty seat and some think this is abusing system

And said person may drinks/food/programme. Yep it is nonsensical.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There appears to be one for sale now

http://www.seagulls.co.uk/fans/psl/

Extract from the terms of a sale :-

A PSL may be traded between supporters, but the transferee must be approved by BHAFC. The transfer value is for the PSL owner to decide and 7.5% of the purchase price or a £50 administration fee (whichever is the larger) applies to both the seller when a transfer is made. These charges apply to cover the cost of administration and the cost of issuing a new PSL certificate.
Read more at http://www.seagulls.co.uk/fans/psl/index.aspx#U3WOqrQmSIEDB5ip.99

The terms seem a little odd. The use of the word 'both' seems to suggest that both seller and buyer pay a fee but only the seller is named! The fact that this refers to the seller losing the right to the ticket for 16/17 which suggests it's been there for some time!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Yep, I think that's right. However, with home games starting to sell out much more frequently, the number of ST holders being at an all-time high, the (hush my mouth) possibility of PL football next season, with the extra demand that will inevitably cause from glory hunters, the recently announced crack down on "abuse", and the ability to generate some extra revenue, the club may be willing to re-open a window for current ST holders? No inside knowledge; just think it might be worth an email...

A cynic might suggest that the crackdown might be the forerunner of reopening the window for buying PSLs and therefore allowing others to use your season ticket!!!

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
A cynic might suggest that the crackdown might be the forerunner of reopening the window for buying PSLs and therefore allowing others to use your season ticket!!!
Seems an obvious money maker, and who can blame Tony given his annual loss.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I think the only caveat that should be applied to the 6 upgrades rule is if Sky move a fixture to a weekday evening that means a child cannot attend. I think in those circumstances, the upgrade should not be counted towards the 6.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think the only caveat that should be applied to the 6 upgrades rule is if Sky move a fixture to a weekday evening that means a child cannot attend. I think in those circumstances, the upgrade should not be counted towards the 6.

That's a good point however, just looking at Bournemouth, they have had only 4 home midweek games (as far as I can tell), including Monday games. That would suggest 6 upgrades should be more than enough.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Indeed so. Just as well neither of us are cynics, isn't it? :smile:

Yogi Hair

Jan 25, 2012
My son is at Uni now in Plymouth. I did the 6 upgrades last season, then paid £80 to upgrade his U21 ticket to an adult for the remainder of this season.
I phoned the club and asked if I could upgrade the U21 ticket to an adult for the entire 2017-18 season. Their reply was "No", "Only the 6 upgrades are permitted"
When I said that he was at Uni & wasn't sure how often he could get back next season, their reply was "If he doesn't want his ticket, then he can cancel it"
This is my son, an Albion fan through and through since the age of 7. He has been wet & frozen at the Withdean & a STH since day 1 at the Amex. He still continues to do as many away matches as his limited budget allows.
Of course he wants his ticket, but I get the impression that with demand outstripping supply, the club are not bothered about the fans that have been on the long journey to the promised land.
Of course they will never be back in the lower reaches of the Championship or L1 will they? They will never need to be offering deals to get fans back in? They will always have more demand than supply won't they?
It was the "If he doesn't want his ticket then he can cancel it" comment that really got to me. It made me feel like they just don't care!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
My son is at Uni now in Plymouth. I did the 6 upgrades last season, then paid £80 to upgrade his U21 ticket to an adult for the remainder of this season.
I phoned the club and asked if I could upgrade the U21 ticket to an adult for the entire 2017-18 season. Their reply was "No", "Only the 6 upgrades are permitted"
When I said that he was at Uni & wasn't sure how often he could get back next season, their reply was "If he doesn't want his ticket, then he can cancel it"
This is my son, an Albion fan through and through since the age of 7. He has been wet & frozen at the Withdean & a STH since day 1 at the Amex. He still continues to do as many away matches as his limited budget allows.
Of course he wants his ticket, but I get the impression that with demand outstripping supply, the club are not bothered about the fans that have been on the long journey to the promised land.
Of course they will never be back in the lower reaches of the Championship or L1 will they? They will never need to be offering deals to get fans back in? They will always have more demand than supply won't they?
It was the "If he doesn't want his ticket then he can cancel it" comment that really got to me. It made me feel like they just don't care!

You offered to upgrade his ticket to an adult and they refused? That stinks. I would go to the CEO and complain.

Lush

Mods' Pet

That's because you've effectively transferred it to someone else (an adult) which isn't allowed.

I sat on that bloomin' PSL leaflet for ages, umming and ahhhing. Hope they do relaunch it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

It's a tough one - whatever the club do is going to piss some people off. Your son can't go, so his ticket (presumably) gets used by a pal of yours........meanwhile people on the waitlist for a ST can't get one (for example). There's no right/easy answer, but assume the main aims of the club are max revenue and full houses.

As regards 'not caring', the wage slaves in the end of the phone just follow instructions, so all they care about is doing what they've been told.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
You offered to upgrade his ticket to an adult and they refused? That stinks. I would go to the CEO and complain.

Is this the same Paul Barber who had a salary of ?100k per annum, but managed to increase it to ?480k per annum by cost cutting exercises and increasing revenue for the club ?

A bit rich that he is complaining of some season ticket holders having junior tickets and then upgrading as and when they can make games at the Amex ? It seems cost cutting is fine for him , but not for the supporters.

Can someone remind me how many times at Gillingham, Withdean and the Amex we have actually sold out our home games ? As a point of interest, until last season I had a Full price adult season ticket at all the above venues ( and in the old sSouth Stand at the Goldstone). I also purchased two junior season for two of my sons at Gillingham, Withdean and the Amex. Sadly they just didn't take to the footie...I certainly tried my best. Duribg this period they hardly attended but I gave away the tickets to friends children during this whole period so the seat was rarely empty.

I moved to France last season and although I tried to make as many games as I could, I managed about 6 at the Amex ...(plus a couple of away games). Sky certainly doesn't help with the frequent changes, making booking air tickets almost pointless. Consequently, last season (as was permitted) I upgraded one of my sons tickets each time I could attend and relinquished my full price ticket to a friend who took over my season ticket. Virtually no sell-outs....so no problem by the club.

Next Season I will have reached utopia....I will be an Okld age pensioner. Although it would have been cheaper to just upgrade my sons ticket, I asked the club if it could be changed to an OAP ticket....more money for the club and presumably my son could use it when he wanted to go. I am unlikely to make more than 6 home games next season, no mattew what league we are in. The answer of course was a resounding "NO ".

Next season would be my 53rd year of watching the Albion. I really would have liked a seat in my own right....but hey ho, Mr .Barber, who makes his salary increase 300-400% by cost cutting, has deemed it OK for him , but not for supporters.

I understand the 'supply and demand' rules, but if someone could supply the stats of sell-outs over the last15-16 years it would make interesting reading. , I certainly don't feel I 'cheated' the club last season.

Sometimes Mr. Barber....you need a bit of leeway. Unless I die, I will still be supporting the Albion on the way down...as well as up. Not everyone else will.

PS: I am leaving here tomorrow to make my way on the long car and ferry journey, so I can see family....and The Albion at the Amex on Saturday. I shall be upgrading my sons ticket for that day.....and saving a few of the 6 allowed....just in case we,re in the plkay=offs.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

That is simply wrong, PM me if you want as I have upgraded an U21 ST to an adult for next season already due to the same situation regarding University so can give you proof.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
That is simply wrong, PM me if you want as I have upgraded an U21 ST to an adult for next season already due to the same situation regarding University so can give you proof.

The whole system with upgrades is mad. Why on earth cannot a long standing supporter buy a season ticket for child or parent even if they think for health or school reasons may only go to half the games and then upgrade when they cant go as many times as they want. For those that think it is abusing system, It is not. The upgrade cost is match day prices and far greater income to club. It is also not unfair on those on waiting list. Would think with very odd exception these people could have purchased season tickets any season before at Amex and there is a certain attraction at moment for next season.
Barber very keen to quote other clubs when it suits him so may I quote to him that Man United openly allow season tickets to be passed onto family and friends.
As a matter of interest how many of the 1500 on waiting list will buy season tickets if we dont go up.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
The whole system with upgrades is mad. Why on earth cannot a long standing supporter buy a season ticket for child or parent even if they think for health or school reasons may only go to half the games and then upgrade when they cant go as many times as they want. For those that think it is abusing system, It is not. The upgrade cost is match day prices and far greater income to club. It is also not unfair on those on waiting list. Would think with very odd exception these people could have purchased season tickets any season before at Amex and there is a certain attraction at moment for next season.
Barber very keen to quote other clubs when it suits him so may I quote to him that Man United openly allow season tickets to be passed onto family and friends.
As a matter of interest how many of the 1500 on waiting list will buy season tickets if we dont go up.
Well said. Anyone would think that the business model involved the active engagement of new kind of customers to the casual detriment of lifelong Albion fans...

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

We face a complete change as of start of this season as youngest headed off to University in Lincoln. So now a few away games my wife and I meet him up north, or alternatively the wife came to Cardiff away, great day bar the game. Struggling to now secure tickets for all three of us for away games for the run in, Wolves and Norwich sorted, QPR off the radar as in Scotland and slightly worried about Villa for all 3 of us but hotel booked.

The club need to address this issue where circumstances change but fans want to stay loyal, Wigan @ home means we cannot all sit together, the club needs to learn supporter loyalty.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
We face a complete change as of start of this season as youngest headed off to University in Lincoln. So now a few away games my wife and I meet him up north, or alternatively the wife came to Cardiff away, great day bar the game. Struggling to now secure tickets for all three of us for away games for the run in, Wolves and Norwich sorted, QPR off the radar as in Scotland and slightly worried about Villa for all 3 of us but hotel booked.

The club need to address this issue where circumstances change but fans want to stay loyal, Wigan @ home means we cannot all sit together, the club needs to learn supporter loyalty.

Bloom's fault. He built a stadium not big enough for purpose!!!

I get the club taking the official line but they are also ignoring what has been common practice for many years, not only at Brighton but also I guess at many other clubs. I wonder if they did carry out checks at away games, how many tickets sold to 1901 members were found to be with someone who doesn't have the required points!!! I know a few 1901ers that do go to plenty of away games but I suspect there will be many who have them as a corporate jolly that might get away tickets and give them to others.

At the end of the day, we could get promoted and have an absolute shit season next year and then we'll see what demand for tickets is like!

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Like i said before, if your child cant go to a game next season with the season ticket you bought, offer the ticket up on the clubs ticket exchange, perhaps the club need to promote this a bit more !!

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Like i said before, if your child cant go to a game next season with the season ticket you bought, offer the ticket up on the clubs ticket exchange, perhaps the club need to promote this a bit more !!
Is that a good idea, bringing the club'attention to the fact that your child maybe one that is not going to the required amount of games and risking the club canceling his/her ticket under the new rules?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here