Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much is your water bill

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Used to pay 60 a month direct debit,went onto water meter now pay 46 a month 4 adults showers twice daily,used to be 2 showers 2 baths,my Mrs still has the odd one

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Looks like we pay £35.20 per month combined. The usage is pretty consistent all year round. Three adults in a four bed house.
On a meter.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Thames Water: £35.62. For me, my misses and a baby.

Lush

Mods' Pet
For the first time I looked at the Southern Water pie chart that says where your money goes.

Out of the average £1.14 daily charge (WTF - to put water through a pipe and take poo away?) 4p is profit and 22p is interest on debt

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
No idea.

Can't be "switched", can it? And can't really do anything much to use less water than we do - so I guess we have to just cough up whatever they demand each month.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
For the first time I looked at the Southern Water pie chart that says where your money goes.

Out of the average £1.14 daily charge (WTF - to put water through a pipe and take poo away?) 4p is profit and 22p is interest on debt

How did they build up the debt? Did they forget to pay their water bill?

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I remember reading something about because income is guaranteed (ie we will all need to pay our water bills forever), it's possible for water companies to borrow large amounts of cash in advance, not to invest in infrastructure but to pay bigger dividends.

That sounds suitably sustainable :ffsparr:

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We have a free standing shower cubicle used daily by me and the wife and 2 young boys who use the bath approx a foot deep. Yet our water bills have arrived, one from southern water & one from south east water and for a six month period have a combined total of £700+

What do others pay for theirs?

Same scenario as yours, with baths and showers for all four of us daily, loads of clothes washing, and a bit of garden watering in the Summer.

Total metered cost per annum including waste water, about £440, in Brighton.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Think about £35 a month (across the two bills) for two people.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
That's all fine from a supply perspective but what do you do about waste water ?

It goes in to a tank underground at front of the house, the theory is the water goes in to the land and, eventually, down in to the rive. The solids should be decomposed by bacteria and end up the same way as the water. Not been flushed out in 10 years so fingers crossed. You do have to be careful about what you put down there, pee, poo and p**s as the saying goes...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here