Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Team for Blackburn

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have gone for Pocognoli if he is fit at left back in preference to Rosenior because I like to have a left footed left back so as to allow the wide man to get balls down the line to run at defenders and the gone for Rosenior over Tomoui on the bench as I believe he is more versatile and his experience could help us.

biddles911

May 12, 2014
Now is the time to stand an up and be counted, Solly. Everyone knows you've got it, now show us it for 90 minutes in 4 or 5 of the remaining games. If you do, we'll be very close to promotion and you'll be worth a hell of a lot more money.

Tricky one isn't it. Solly has been sensational in short bursts but not over 90 minutes so far.

I've really felt we've missed Skalak's set piece delivery though and it's a mystery to me why we've scored so rarely from them.

Then there's Murphy who offers more direct running and goals, though he's had less opportunity this season but has looked very good more recently.

Perhaps we should play all three depending on how the game's going?!

Whatever we do can I make a plea to get the subs on a bit earlier? 10/15 minutes to salvage a game is really not enough.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Good call. Maybe Akpom for Skalak, and March needs to be given the opportunity to prove that he can shine in this all-important run-in. He's now been back for more than three months: time to write your name into Albion history, Solly.

Skalak not even on the bench after being one of our best players for the last couple of games? Blimey. He'll probably start.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Skalak not even on the bench after being one of our best players for the last couple of games? Blimey. He'll probably start.

He was very good against Derby, but back to anonymous against Leeds, in my view. We've had this conversation before, and it's clear we differ. We'll see who CH picks though in just short of 120 hours time.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
He was very good against Derby, but back to anonymous against Leeds, in my view. We've had this conversation before, and it's clear we differ. We'll see who CH picks though in just short of 120 hours time.

I will bet all the money I have that he won't be out of the whole squad. I thought he was one of the better players against Leeds.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think the choice between Skalak and Murphy and even possibly March will depend on whether Pocognoli is fit enough to play or even how near Bong is to being ready.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I will bet all the money I have that he won't be out of the whole squad. I thought he was one of the better players against Leeds.
Using the Leeds game as a prime example, one of the many things that get missed by those wishing to dismiss Skalak is the fact Leeds wouldn't have scored their opener if that move came down their right.

I can't see him in the squad v Blackburn because other than deadball, the team doesn't need him, for that game, as much as it needs 'attacking' wingers.

All things being even, he'll start v Norwich.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Using the Leeds game as a prime example, one of the many things that get missed by those wishing to dismiss Skalak is the fact Leeds wouldn't have scored their opener if that move came down their right.

I can't see him in the squad v Blackburn because other than deadball, the team doesn't need him, for that game, as much as it needs 'attacking' wingers.

With possibly LR as right midfield to add extra defensive cover. Then bring on March and AK as impact subs if needed.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
I have gone for Pocognoli if he is fit at left back in preference to Rosenior

Normally I'd agree but the fact Poco isn't/won't be match fit and Rosenior's performance at home against The Rams when he beat three and cut inside has changed my mind on that concept.

As for LW I expect it to be decided based on who trains best this week. My head says Solly but if we want consistency then Murphy might edge it having had a rest.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

You're responding to Mellotron who, in turn, responded to me and, therefore, by a wild leap I'll surmise that you've got me (amongst others) in mind when you claim that plenty 'dismiss' Skalak. I've never done that. He's got good qualities, one of which is the defensive solidity he brings -- although I'm not entirely convinced he would have prevented a similar cross, as he doesn't quite have the speed that Knockaert, Murphy and March have, which is always helpful for blocking crosses. He also can deliver and cross the ball deliciously with his right foot (and even put in that sublime left-footed cross for Murray's second against Norwich). Yet, given the number of minutes he's been on the pitch all season, even his assist rate (still five?) is hardly that impressive, and that's before we've even got on to his goal tally.
In contrast to what might have happened if Skalak had been playing on the other side of the pitch against Leeds which you want to focus on, I'd rather focus on the way that our performance was lit up from the moment March came on, and started running at and beating defenders, putting them immediately on the back foot. I happen to think that he's our second best (and potentially best) winger/wide player, after Knockaert, and that Murphy and Skalak come in thereafter. I can see that they provide different qualities for different matches and game situations, and are useful players to bulk out the 18. When on fire, they warrant an extended run in the first team -- Murphy had hit a rich vein of form a month or so ago, and hasn't been in the 18 for a few games now; I'm not sure what that's about (becoming a father?) but I wouldn't see him replacing Skalak in the 18 for the Blackburn game as any more of an 'injustice' than Murphy's recent omission. I wouldn't want to be relying on either Murphy or Skalak if we made it into the PL.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You're responding to Mellotron who, in turn, responded to me and, therefore, by a wild leap I'll surmise that you've got me (amongst others) in mind when you claim that plenty 'dismiss' Skalak. I've never done that. He's got good qualities, one of which is the defensive solidity he brings -- although I'm not entirely convinced he would have prevented a similar cross, as he doesn't quite have the speed that Knockaert, Murphy and March have, which is always helpful for blocking crosses. He also can deliver and cross the ball deliciously with his right foot (and even put in that sublime left-footed cross for Murray's second against Norwich). Yet, given the number of minutes he's been on the pitch all season, even his assist rate (still five?) is hardly that impressive, and that's before we've even got on to his goal tally.
In contrast to what might have happened if Skalak had been playing on the other side of the pitch against Leeds which you want to focus on, I'd rather focus on the way that our performance was lit up from the moment March came on, and started running at and beating defenders, putting them immediately on the back foot. I happen to think that he's our second best (and potentially best) winger/wide player, after Knockaert, and that Murphy and Skalak come in thereafter. I can see that they provide different qualities for different matches and game situations, and are useful players to bulk out the 18. When on fire, they warrant an extended run in the first team -- Murphy had hit a rich vein of form a month or so ago, and hasn't been in the 18 for a few games now; I'm not sure what that's about (becoming a father?) but I wouldn't see him replacing Skalak in the 18 for the Blackburn game as any more of an 'injustice' than Murphy's recent omission. I wouldn't want to be relying on either Murphy or Skalak if we made it into the PL.
Firstly a quick point of order.
I have/had no idea on where you stand re Jiri, hence not referencing you.
Your username certainly doesn't come to mind when thinking of those who are desperate to 'get rid', because he, 'offers nothing', and are clearly waiting to drive him anywhere for half of £x.

Next, of course the game changed after Solly came on, he came on after they had scored.
He was the perfect substitution as the Albion chased the game while Leeds instantly sat back and only wanted to defend.
There is absolutely no way Solly would have been allowed to play the first 60 minutes, like he did the last 30.

As for the rest of it, I broadly agree.
I do think Skalak's delivery from corners is miles better than anybody else in the team, but scoring from corners isn't quite as easy as we fans think.
Anyone who can score 'that' goal, ought to be able to score 'normal' goals in his sleep.
I was gutted his free kick hit the wall, as that'll be his only chance, while AK will continue to send them high wide and not very handsome.

I can't have the PL conversation just yet, if I do, I'm sure I'll decide they both have a squad place.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Firstly a quick point of order.
I have/had no idea on where you stand re Jiri, hence not referencing you.
Your username certainly doesn't come to mind when thinking of those who are desperate to 'get rid', because he, 'offers nothing', and are clearly waiting to drive him anywhere for half of £x.

Next, of course the game changed after Solly came on, he came on after they had scored.
He was the perfect substitution as the Albion chased the game while Leeds instantly sat back and only wanted to defend.
There is absolutely no way Solly would have been allowed to play the first 60 minutes, like he did the last 30.

As for the rest of it, I broadly agree.
I do think Skalak's delivery from corners is miles better than anybody else in the team, but scoring from corners isn't quite as easy as we fans think.
Anyone who can score 'that' goal, ought to be able to score 'normal' goals in his sleep.
I was gutted his free kick hit the wall, as that'll be his only chance, while AK will continue to send them high wide and not very handsome.

I can't have the PL conversation just yet, if I do, I'm sure I'll decide they both have a squad place.

I've been out since you've written this, and consumed liquid generously. I can recommend doing this.
I like more or less everything about this post, apart from the fact that I think Norwood delivers better corners than Skalak (CH, etc agrees with this, however unpopular a view it is).
The one thing I want to ward off from any on NSC (and there's no way either you or [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] are included in this) is that I'm slagging off our players. I refuse to do that and, on that basis, I want to defend Akpom and insist that he'll contribute over the last eight games or at some pivotal point within those eight games ON THE PROVISO THAT CH DECIDES THAT OUGHT TO BE THE CASE: FOR HE, ULTIMATELY, DECIDES AND I'LL SUPPORT HIS DECISIONS ON THE WHOLE DESPITE THE FACT THAT I RESERVE THE RIGHT TO DIFFER FROM, OR DISAGREE WITH, ANYTHING HE DOES however unpopular on NSC that view is and the extent to which it departs from popular/received wisdom.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've been out since you've written this, and consumed liquid generously. I can recommend doing this.
I like more or less everything about this post, apart from the fact that I think Norwood delivers better corners than Skalak (CH, etc agrees with this, however unpopular a view it is).
The one thing I want to ward off from any on NSC (and there's no way either you or [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] are included in this) is that I'm slagging off our players. I refuse to do that and, on that basis, I want to defend Akpom and insist that he'll contribute over the last eight games or at some pivotal point within those eight games ON THE PROVISO THAT CH DECIDES THAT OUGHT TO BE THE CASE: FOR HE, ULTIMATELY, DECIDES AND I'LL SUPPORT HIS DECISIONS ON THE WHOLE DESPITE THE FACT THAT I RESERVE THE RIGHT TO DIFFER FROM, OR DISAGREE WITH, ANYTHING HE DOES however unpopular on NSC that view is and the extent to which it departs from popular/received wisdom.
But how are you feeling this morning?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Danny Graham missing for Blackburn, had groin surgery during the break. He is their top scorer. Corry Evans also nursing a groin, unlikely to feature.

PG

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Their danger could come from Craig Conway or Marvin Emnes who always seem to play well against us plus I am sure that Elliott Bennett will be hoping to impress.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Danny Graham missing for Blackburn, had groin surgery during the break. He is their top scorer. Corry Evans also nursing a groin, unlikely to feature.

PG
That helps, Danny Graham always seems capable of scoring.

Just hoping Bruno is back at full(ish) fitness and Kayal is over his illness.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Lets hope some of our walking wounded are actually fit and recovered from there minor injuries which have well taken months in some cases

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here