Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wimbledon greyhound stadium gone.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Oh blimey, a new one on me, didn't realise it had closed.
Well it was a good night at my Mrs work do, all those years ago:D

I bet Didcot hasn't changed much :)
It's changing pretty fast and a lot of new homes being built although I'll be off to swindon very soon hopefully as that's a very up and coming place and properties are a lot cheaper :)

Used to go to reading greyhounds a lot :(

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
:thumbsup::thumbsup:
It's changing pretty fast and a lot of new homes being built although I'll be off to swindon very soon hopefully as that's a very up and coming place and properties are a lot cheaper :)

Used to go to reading greyhounds a lot :(

Yes I know a few examples military types who have ended buying in the Swindon and Carterton areas, duensuring to the reasonable prices there. :)

unfortunately (or not depending on your point of view) the world moves on. I was looking for a branch of barclays in brighton recently. When we moved here 35 years ago they had 10 branches that i can count in brighton now only 3. As for the dogs i remember doing my 1p forecast doubles on Crayford (still going), Romford, Walthamstow and White City. Wasnt there also one at Harringay?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
There was a report on BBC local news recently, reporting on the people who have grown up with the dog racing fraternity.
Possibly a cult thing going on, but sadly another institution gone from the local London area.
As you say, good news for AFC Wimbledon.

The one at Reading is a good night out.

Portsmouth and White City are a good night out too!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yes I know a few examples military types who have ended buying in the Swindon and Carterton areas, duensuring to the reasonable prices there. :)

I spent most of my childhood in Carterton...have been back once in the last 17 years and can't say I have any desire to go again.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Hove Dogs has to be Dead Man Walking shirley? Doubtless be unaffordable flats ten years down the line.
Not so sure about that. Went there with wife and kids on Saturday evening and the place was pretty busy in the 'cheap' area under the stand. The restaurant appeared to be full. Also it wasn't full with old men there were loads of parties of late teens / early 20-somethings clearly enjoying a night out with their mates. Good to see

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Not so sure about that. Went there with wife and kids on Saturday evening and the place was pretty busy in the 'cheap' area under the stand. The restaurant appeared to be full. Also it wasn't full with old men there were loads of parties of late teens / early 20-somethings clearly enjoying a night out with their mates. Good to see

It's odd, though, that every other session is free - and deserted!

Chucky_78

Banned
Jan 30, 2012
It's odd, though, that every other session is free - and deserted!

Owned by Coral. Only reason racing is on is because it's broadcast to the betting shops. They don't care about people through the door at the day time mettings.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
But it's easy to see how they make the money on the betting. In one race on Saturday evening there were 6 dogs running and the longest price was 4/1. You don't need to be a maths genius to see that there is a fair wedge for the bookies whichever dog wins.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Owned by Coral. Only reason racing is on is because it's broadcast to the betting shops. They don't care about people through the door at the day time mettings.

I understand that bit. I just find it odd that loads of people are prepared to pay to go on a Saturday night, but don't go on Thursday evenings when it's fee.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Why are all the greyhound stadiums closing down?

The option of going to the dogs is going to the dogs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here