Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Comic relief 2017

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Didn't watch it but the comment about Bob Mortimer not doing anything funny for years is totally wrong.

He's a genius, Athletico Mince. Steve McClaren vs Sean Dyche. The Spurs gang. I rest my case.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Didn't watch it but the comment about Bob Mortimer not doing anything funny for years is totally wrong.

He's a genius, Athletico Mince. Steve McClaren vs Sean Dyche. The Spurs gang. I rest my case.
Wrong. Had his day

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Whole event about as funny as woodworm in a cripples crutch .

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
How much did it raise?.

I think it was 71 million, which is well down on its record which I think is 101 million in 2011.

I used to love Comic Relief and I watched a lot of it, same as I do every time it's on - but never again. It was absolutely dreadful. As others have mentioned it's sad to see people like French and Saunders and Reeves and Mortimer as almost parodies of the people they were 20 years ago. Is that really the best we can do? The Love Actually thing was just embarrassing. The whole show was peppered with unfunny has-beens whose best work is long behind them. Very sad.

I gave money, I always do, but next time I'll pay double if they promise NOT to televise it.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The dignity that Billy Connolly exudes is something this non talented bunch of no hopers could learn from. Catch up, he's on ITV4 right now (9pm-10pm) with an old audience with... hilarious.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Susanna Reid killed the Stotts sketch by seeming terrified that she might look stupid. If you're defensive about looking silly, don't work with Vic& Bob. Go back and view some of the old ones on YouTube. The Sting one is great, but my favourite is them asking Damon Hill 'Do you have a map, or do you just follow the others?'

The programmers killed any possibility of Toast being funny by putting Britain's greatest living swearer on before the watershed. Those who think Bob Mortimer has lost it need to watch the brilliant 'Matt Berry Does' all written and produced by Bob.

The stand-up segment with Russell Brand wrecked any chance the comics had by giving them a Top of the Pops style setting totally unsuited for comedy. Brand did none of the work that a compere does to create an atmosphere in a comedy club and they just left the acts twitching. Most probably wouldn't have been great anyway, but I have seen the bit that Nish Kumar did previously and it works. In this setting he was doing it to virtually no reaction and it died completely. Putting aside the mic failures for the Brett Domino Trio, it is fairly unbelievable that a fund raiser supposedly organised by comedians had nobody to correct the producers' fundamental mistakes for setting a comedy gig.

'Love Actually' was just as worthwhile as the original film..... It could be argued that Richard Curtis's tendency for triteness is testing the maxim that you could be forgiven anything if you wrote 'Blackadder'. (If it wasn't for Ben Elton's earlier shattering of the premise.)

Last edited:

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I avoided it by watching Ireland v Wales
I can't stand the self satisfied "Oh look aren't we great and we're all doing it for charideee" bollox. Besides I can't hear the words "Comic Relief" without thinking of Jools Holland's "executive relief" quote from Live Aid !

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Any programme which has Gary Barlow in it asking for money stinks of hypocrisy.

I have been fortunate enough to see Comic Relief from the inside.
I have seen the good work that it does, and met many of those that are passionate about the causes and work very hard to spend the money well.

And still think it is a load of self-satisfied hypocritical old shite that is several years past it's sell-by date.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Any programme which has Gary Barlow in it asking for money stinks of hypocrisy.

Any programme that has Gary Barlow in it stinks. Same for Dermot O'Leary. A bigger pair of wankers you'd be hard to find.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here