Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

history buffs - Hollingbury cricket / tennis

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
top of ladies mile, there is the remains of cricket net strips and cricket astro wicket plus what looks like a tennis court

when were these active ? Capture.JPG

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Where was Patcham Fawcett then? I always assumed it was what's now called Patcham High but clearly not. If it's been demolished, what's there now?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
Where was Patcham Fawcett then? I always assumed it was what's now called Patcham High but clearly not. If it's been demolished, what's there now?

The houses opposite Matalan and the land opposite Asda. Patcham High is the old Margret Hardy Girls School

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
You mean the fields at the end of Ladies Mile Road? That's not really Patcham is it? I never knew, there's no trace of the buildings now

That's because they built houses on the actual school site - Old Boat Way I think it's called.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Spot on. The red gravel - known in my day as the 'red gra' - was used for playing sports like hockey. The rugby/football pitch was located to the right.

Played plenty of football on the red gra in my days at Fawcett.

Amazing that has survived.
That stuff was lethal, many skimmed knees from that. That pitch was always called 'red gra' and I don't think I've heard that other than at Fawcett.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
You mean the fields at the end of Ladies Mile Road? That's not really Patcham is it? I never knew, there's no trace of the buildings now

The main entrance to the school was in Ladies Mile Road Patcham, but I would have said the back of the school was Hollingbury.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Remember when the fawcett BOYZ took a beating from the Falmer High massive at the top of ditchlin road one lunchtime. Pwopa naughty that was.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Amazing that has survived.
That stuff was lethal, many skimmed knees from that. That pitch was always called 'red gra' and I don't think I've heard that other than at Fawcett.
"Redgra" was a common name for that type of surface - similar to "Astro" now.

We had one at WSIHE until at least 1997 as I took some of it home for my garden to make a running track around my piece of Goldstone turf...

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Well I am old enough to remember those 'downs' as we called them, before the school was ever built. Margaret Hardy and Fawcett schools were next door to each other in the middle of Brighton on the London Road somewhere facing St Peter's, and in Patcham it was just Patcham Seniors which was mixed.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
"Redgra" was a common name for that type of surface - similar to "Astro" now.

We had one at WSIHE until at least 1997 as I took some of it home for my garden to make a running track around my piece of Goldstone turf...

Have you still got your turf and running track?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Well I am old enough to remember those 'downs' as we called them, before the school was ever built. Margaret Hardy and Fawcett schools were next door to each other in the middle of Brighton on the London Road somewhere facing St Peter's, and in Patcham it was just Patcham Seniors which was mixed.
As a Patcham Infants and Juniors Alumnus, me too:bigwave:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

I think the old Fawcett and Margaret Hardy schools near St Peter's Church became Brighton College of Technology ( now city college)
Not sure if the old entrance in York Place is still there.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here