Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scottish Football

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
What a mess it is in, a crying shame to see such a proud and formerly great nation in such tatters.

Only 9,000 people bothered to turn up for their 1-1 draw with 110 ranked Canada last night. Then they've got a league which used to be a two horse race and is now a one horse race with the title unofficially sewn up before the clocks went back and officially won in March before the league even splits.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What a poor result. We all know Wales have Bale, but to be faring worse than Northern Ireland is inexcusable.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Squad miles better than Northern Ireland on paper. Some decent enough players in there, seriously underperforming on a regular basis. Have to say they've been cursed with a series of some really wretched managers.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Funny ol' game :moo:

greavsiepic-892905449.jpg

el punal

What a mess it is in, a crying shame to see such a proud and formerly great nation in such tatters.

Only 9,000 people bothered to turn up for their 1-1 draw with 110 ranked Canada last night. Then they've got a league which used to be a two horse race and is now a one horse race with the title unofficially sewn up before the clocks went back and officially won in March before the league even splits.

I blame Jox-it and Krankie.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010

It is indeed a shame but it is down to population 5m compared with 60m in England and Wales.

As soon as Sky started pumping moneyin the SFL was sh----d because, whereas Sky broadcasts Scottish matches there is no way that those clubs get the same payment for television rights. The Scottish Premier League (or whatever) includes Ross County and Inverness, where I lived before coming to Sussex in 1979, with respective populations of probably 15,000 and 40,000 respectively.
With that population what chance for numbers of young players coming through, even if there were funds to coach them, AND what percentage of those populations would you expect to turn up to watch a football match.
It is easy to mock them but for those who do - Look at yourselves - pathetic !!
Celtic and Rangers (who went into administration a few years ago are struggling to get back to where they were) but both command attendances even now that most English Clubs would die for but 2 out of the SFL so what chance of a competitive league, or indeed, a competitive national team !

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I went to a couple of Scotland games at Hampden park in the late seventies, I thought there was more passion from the crowd than at England matches at Wembley, at the time.
They weren't a bad side either, but, I had to keep my English accent very quiet.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I LOVE watching Monkey Tennis!!!

Did you see the MTA match last September between Coco and Mr. Gravy?

Coco smashed Gravy's serve back down the line to break in the third. Better than Murray!

Marvellous scenes!

I saw that match. I thought Coco did well to progress to the next round there as that tie was a potential banana skin for him.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
You're not wrong fella.

MTA is like The Championship. So many players are capable of raising their game for the big matches and anyone can beat anyone else.

Coco is no mug though and his father (Coco 'Pops') was some player too.

Shocking decision to hold one of the tournaments in Hartlepool though.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Given the population of Wales is a little over 3m then based on higher population equals better teams then Scotland should be performing better than Wales.

Not necessarily because Welsh teams play in the English Football League and therefore have the potential of the same Sky payments. One English team (Berwick Rangers) play in the Scottish League.
In addition, most of Wales is accessible to the Midlands or South West but by comparison Scotland is isolated and there are no substantial centres of population north of the central belt (Glasgow & Edinburgh) save for Dundee and Aberdeen. We are talking about 100 miles from say Inverness to the next civilisation (Aberdeen to the East or Perth to the South with nothing but sheep and deer to the North and West)
The nitty gritty is that there are no sources of income up there other than the much reduced Sky revenue as local advertising is negligible - It is geography and post 13 !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here