Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Germany vs England - tonight 7.45pm

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Depressingly, I thought we missed Rooney.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
With respect, the issue surely is totally the meaning of the lyrics. Harking back to a war in which millions died, of many different backrounds (nationality, race, creed) including your own and celebrating it as a victory is obscene and embarrassing.
Again, as for Albumen I don't totally disagree with your point. I cringe when I hear 'Two world wars and one world cup' along with 'No surrender' - but I think '10 German bombers', celebrating Britain's victory in the Battle of Britain, is fair enough. With the caveats that as I said before the song itself is shit, and of course it wasn't just England - but then all nations take liberties with their historical exploits.
Did England win two World Wars then? Don't the Irish, the Americans and the Scots even get credited with an assist? ???
And the Welsh! Not forgetting the USSR and the Red Army. Like I said to Chappers, all nations take historical liberties and big themselves up. I just wish we had something better to sing about, but then I often feel the same way about the Albion's limited, derivative and largely generic repertoire of songs.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
And the Welsh! Not forgetting the USSR and the Red Army.

And the ANZACS. And the Indians. And the rest. Apology accepted on behalf of the non-English allied nations of the world for your crap comment :thumbsup:

To be fair, you probably didn't mean for it to come out as crap as it sounded eh? Even so, you'll still be disappointed with that effort.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
And the ANZACS. And the Indians. And the rest. Apology accepted on behalf of the non-English allied nations of the world for your crap comment :thumbsup:

To be fair, you probably didn't mean for it to come out as crap as it sounded eh? Even so, you'll still be disappointed with that effort.

No, actually on balance despite its historical inaccuracy I'll stick with it. If the Americans can produce TONS of films claiming they won WW2 single-handed then English football fans can sing a crap song claiming we did.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
A few of my mates went last night, and said it's one of the best away ends (atmosphere wise) they've ever been in. Not sure if it came across on TV, though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here