Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Police office stabbed and assailant shot outside Parliament, Parliament in lockdown

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
A whole new chapter in police incompetence as well. Just to be clear, that is aimed at the Met's Counter Terrorism Unit, NOT the poor soul that died today, or other rank and file officers. As one of the most prominent and outspoken British Jihadists, you'd hope this would have been stopped before it happened.

Budget cuts year after year, no wonder they can't keep up with everyone any more. Don't spend money on something, get a dodgy product. Blame the conservative party.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Shocking events in London today, where I work major security incident procedures were invoked.

Words fail me at times like this and point scoring on posts contributes nothing but a new low reached where people take photos and selfies, if you are caught up in these terrible events and not injured at least help those that are.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Handily, the Allies did not purely rely on fact when deciding strategy for the Second World War, there will have been an element of speculation involved. Alternatively we could have waited for the whole of the Third Reich to have turned up in Harwich, Folkestone, Eastbourne and Portsmouth before mobilising our forces.

There's a bit of a difference between a national government acting during a wholly justified war situation, and what people might be thinking after one nutcase has perpetrated something of pure evil and ended up dead during it himself, thereby making it fairly unlikely that he himself is going to carry on and do something else.

And I am sure the Police and others whose place it is to gather intelligence about such things are well on the case of whether he had an accomplice, and where he or she might be..

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
...a new low reached where people take photos and selfies, if you are caught up in these terrible events and not injured at least help those that are.

To an extent. If you are not in a position to assist (i.e. not medically/first aid trained) and others have the matter in hand, is it so wrong to take photographs? These could be provided to the investigating authorities as evidence or simply add to the ultimate archive documenting the attack. Do you fundamentally disapprove of photojournalists, whose job sadly often involves documenting harrowing situations.

Selfies is another matter entirely and one which would appear to serve no purpose save to show you were there. In this respect I am inclined to agree with you.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I could be wrong here though but the religious courts you mention act purely on civil (in the legal sense) family matters. Sharia Law in itself is far more wide-reaching and when the likes of Anjem Choudhry call on Sharia Law for the UK they are talking about it completely replacing common, criminal and statute law.

Yes, that's very true. And politicians of all sides state that very narrow definition of Sharia law is a non-starter in the UK. There are plenty of predominantly Muslim states where it doesn't hold either.

Err, how about yes? Let's ban religious law being practiced in the UK, or does that offend you?

I'm a long-standing atheist so it certainly doesn't offend me. It would be a hell of a political battle though, I'm not sure many politicians would want take on the Christian, Jewish and Muslim lobbies

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
A whole new chapter in police incompetence as well. Just to be clear, that is aimed at the Met's Counter Terrorism Unit, NOT the poor soul that died today, or other rank and file officers. As one of the most prominent and outspoken British Jihadists, you'd hope this would have been stopped before it happened.

ive seen some c0ck rsponces, blaming brexit or blaming cuts, but this takes the award. you cant stop someone from doing this, unless you permanently imprison everyone you suspect of acting in this way. do you really want to lock up thousands of people without due process, all creeds and colours, just in case? a facist police state?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I'm a long-standing atheist so it certainly doesn't offend me. It would be a hell of a political battle though, I'm not sure many politicians would want take on the Christian, Jewish and Muslim lobbies

I'm also an atheist and, in my ideal world, laws and schools based on religion- any religion- would not exist. However, bearing the thread subject in mind it's arguable that France, which does advocate secularism and separatism, has been more targeted, and has more alienated young members of ethnic minorities than the UK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'm also an atheist and, in my ideal world, laws and schools based on religion- any religion- would not exist. However, bearing the thread subject in mind it's arguable that France, which does advocate secularism and separatism, has been more targeted, and has more alienated young members of ethnic minorities than the UK.

Agnostic here and I'm perfectly comfortable with it seeing as they're only held for believers and the jurisdiction of the courts is purely arbitration. None of them have any precedence over English Law either and those affected still have recourse to appeal. Also, it does fit with English culture where we don't try to impose secularism on people.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
It remains to be seen but the early indications would (in my non-expert view) suggest that this was not a well-planned action by someone with serious connections or training (and therefore known), or that would have raised alarm bells in its planning. I'm reluctant to jump to the view that this could/should have been prevented.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
ive seen some c0ck rsponces, blaming brexit or blaming cuts, but this takes the award. you cant stop someone from doing this, unless you permanently imprison everyone you suspect of acting in this way. do you really want to lock up thousands of people without due process, all creeds and colours, just in case? a facist police state?

At the point I wrote that response, the alleged attacker was a convicted terrorist who was thought to have been just released from prison. I dont think it's unreasonable to suggest that close tabs should have been kept on him. Nowhere did I suggest locking up 1000's of peope without due process. The current laws of the land had already seen to the fact that due process was followed and he was banged up for terror offences.

In later replies, I said that if, as now seems the case, it was a lone individual who was not known to security services, then that's a different kettle of fish.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It remains to be seen but the early indications would (in my non-expert view) suggest that this was not a well-planned action by someone with serious connections or training (and therefore known), or that would have raised alarm bells in its planning. I'm reluctant to jump to the view that this could/should have been prevented.

It is too early to jump to conclusions, but I did read the earlier reports with the thought that pretty much every adult male in the country has immediate access to kitchen knives and a car. I certainly do.

nordicgod

Top banana
Jul 21, 2011
polegate
Theresa May has given a speech outside Downing Street. During which she thanks the Police service and commends their bravery & sacrifice. Yet she's the one that continues to cut police numbers & is systematically destroying our police force!! ��

From a friend and ex officer

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
My wife and I were at parliament today in the public gallery for Prime Ministers Questions. We stayed on for a while after that and left about an hour before the attack.
We literally walked out right by where the attacker was killed. It's only chance that we didn't stay a bit longer and could have ended up totally in the middle of it all.
My heart goes out to all those affected by this awful attack and I pray that love and peace prevail amongst everyone!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Theresa May has given a speech outside Downing Street. During which she thanks the Police service and commends their bravery & sacrifice. Yet she's the one that continues to cut police numbers & is systematically destroying our police force!! ��

Perhaps this'll initiate a bit of a rethink.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I was filming an interview about 250 meters away in a hotel. Had to finish the shoot early because of all the sirens. Then we found out what happened. Awfully sad :(

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I was filming an interview about 250 meters away in a hotel. Had to finish the shoot early because of all the sirens. Then we found out what happened. Awfully sad :(

A bit close for comfort Biscuit, glad you're ok.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

dont know why anyone wants to make political points out of this. what could you do to prevent this type of attack and how much budget would you suggest? 3 foot bollards at meter spacing along every road? armed police on every street corner? prehaps a 50 meter cordon around Palace of Westminister, close the bridge, the square, Whitehall and Abingdon St.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
My wife and I were at parliament today in the public gallery for Prime Ministers Questions. We stayed on for a while after that and left about an hour before the attack.
We literally walked out right by where the attacker was killed. It's only chance that we didn't stay a bit longer and could have ended up totally in the middle of it all.
My heart goes out to all those affected by this awful attack and I pray that love and peace prevail amongst everyone!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bloody hell, you must be drinking strong stuff tonight. What an appalling day, hope you're ok re: the shock of it all.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

I am pleased you posted that, I did not have the bottle.
That was my over riding thought, praising all our fantastic emergency services as the best and tomorrow she will be running them into the ground with no pay rise for years.
Ministers, especially Prime Ministers should hide away at times like this, thoughts with this, prayers with that, and then disappears to carry on with her caviar, lobster, fois gras and Chateau Laffite.
Stupid bitch, like she really cares.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here