Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Police office stabbed and assailant shot outside Parliament, Parliament in lockdown

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
You can, if you make it illegal to preach hate, AND make it illegal to support the preaching of hate. Sometimes Draconian implementation of the law is perfectly justified.

This is the only answer that I can think of, affiliating with groups that support or celebrate terrorists and there acts should be classed as treason.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
A whole new chapter in police incompetence as well. Just to be clear, that is aimed at the Met's Counter Terrorism Unit, NOT the poor soul that died today, or other rank and file officers. As one of the most prominent and outspoken British Jihadists, you'd hope this would have been stopped before it happened.

I think that is very unfair to blame the counter terrorism unit, we have more than 500 returned jhadists and home grown sympathisers. There is no way on gods green earth we can monitor them all 24/7, I think they do a superb job foiling so many attacks already and let's face it, you don't need much planning for an attack of this sort, there could be no media or mobile interication to intersept you could wake up say to yourself today's the day no one need no as you grab a few knives form the kitchen drawer, jump in your car hire it steal it whatever and off you go.... How do you stop that and who do you want to blame...

Blame the left wing do Good lawyers, blame hate preachers, blame the judicial system or government for funding if you want.

But don't blame under resourced hard working police, who have nothing but your safety at heart.

That said I would not be surprised if someone is not blamed for this, but that's all it will be blame without looking at the reason.

R.I.P those killed today and best wishes to all those affected.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
entirely my view. The old West is doomed, we don't have families of 5-10 children generation after generation. And we don't do religion. So we're ****ed, well, I'm not. But anyone born today is. I can only see enormous conflict ahead as each 'tribe' fights for precious resources exacerbated by climate change.

No. We will be fine. We are ingenious. We will find a way forward. But we do need some firm and smart action. Its time our politicians stepped up to the plate.

It is such a shame they are all distracted with this Brexit nonsense. They have all completely taken their eye of the ball. British born terrorists are far more dangerous that anything we have experienced on the terrorism front previously, owing to the vast scope for unrestricted activity. It is not safe out there. Action needed NOW.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
And lets stop calling them jihadist, or Islamists, or terrorists, lets call them what they really are

****ing nutcases
And lets stop calling them jihadist, or Islamists, or terrorists, lets call them what they really are...

...murderers.

Much the same as gunmen, shooters, school shooters, are also actually murderers.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sharia law in the UK? Charge them. Frankly anyone advocating Sharia law in the UK will almist certainly hve advocated worse, so it won't be the tipping point.

You getting a bit carried away there. Sharia law just means acceptance of religious law - it's already accepted in the UK (provided that its principles don't transgress any English or Scottish laws. There are several Sharia courts already. It's no different from Judaism which has had Beth Din courts for more than 100 years.

It would be perfectly possible to draw up the sort of internment laws that you're talking but would be difficult to proscribe Sharia law - unless you want to ban Jewish and Christian courts too

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
I think that is very unfair to blame the counter terrorism unit, we have more than 500 returned jhadists and home grown sympathisers. There is no way on gods green earth we can monitor them all 24/7, I think they do a superb job foiling so many attacks already and let's face it, you don't need much planning for an attack of this sort, there could be no media or mobile interication to intersept you could wake up say to yourself today's the day no one need no as you grab a few knives form the kitchen drawer, jump in your car hire it steal it whatever and off you go.... How do you stop that and who do you want to blame...

Blame the left wing do Good lawyers, blame hate preachers, blame the judicial system or government for funding if you want.

But don't blame under resourced hard working police, who have nothing but your safety at heart.

That said I would not be surprised if someone is not blamed for this, but that's all it will be blame without looking at the reason.

R.I.P those killed today and best wishes to all those affected.

I don't disagree with a lot of what you have said, however if you have limited resources, you need prioritise. I would suggest that someone like Izzaddeen should be prioritised as a very high risk due to his previous convictions and recently having been released from prison. However, there are question marks as to whether it was him or not.

If the attacker turns out to be someone who was not on the intelligence radar, or a very low priority then you're correct. It's very difficult to pre-empt someone jumping in their car with a couple of knives and going on a suicide mission!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Let's put to one side the cuts that Theresa May made to the police force, making it harder to have round the clock surveillance, what could the police do?

Are they going to arrest him every time he got into his car? Every time he drove into central London? He could have been tailed by coppers but that couldn't stop him driving his car on to a pavement and driving into pedestrians or then driving into the gates of Westminster.

Not sure what else the police could do in that situation.

In 1970 I had a pub near Kings Cross and was visited one day by Bernadette Devlin and Tariq Ali who were attending a meeting in my function room. Within 2 hours of them leaving I was visited by a plain clothes officer who asked if they could put listening machines in the room to listen in at the next meeting so obviously being prominent activists they were being watched by the police. I wouldnt think that this is any less now with potential terrorists.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You getting a bit carried away there. Sharia law just means acceptance of religious law - it's already accepted in the UK (provided that its principles don't transgress any English or Scottish laws. There are several Sharia courts already. It's no different from Judaism which has had Beth Din courts for more than 100 years.

It would be perfectly possible to draw up the sort of internment laws that you're talking but would be difficult to proscribe Sharia law - unless you want to ban Jewish and Christian courts too

Yes, true. Apologies. Hubris . . . . rush f blood to the head . . .

And its being suggested the bloke initially identified is in gaol.

Anyway, I'm going to enjoy some football, now.

All the best.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

I could be wrong here though but the religious courts you mention act purely on civil (in the legal sense) family matters. Sharia Law in itself is far more wide-reaching and when the likes of Anjem Choudhry call on Sharia Law for the UK they are talking about it completely replacing common, criminal and statute law.

D

Deleted member 22389

I could be wrong here though but the religious courts you mention act purely on civil (in the legal sense) family matters. Sharia Law in itself is far more wide-reaching and when the likes of Anjem Choudhry call on Sharia Law for the UK they are talking about it completely replacing common, criminal and statute law.

That's what I was trying to say, you can't pin it down anymore. People have lost sight, they don't know what is right or wrong anymore.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Err, how about yes? Let's ban religious law being practiced in the UK, or does that offend you?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The Independent isn't a newspaper anymore. It's now just a website full of heavily biased click bait. All their journalistic integrity is gone. They've removed the article now, anyway.

C4+1 isn't currently broadcasting C4 News from an hour ago either.

C7jE0UKX0AAklMS.jpg

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
The fear of offending others huh? In my view, that policy is a major part of the problems in this world.

I think BG was thinking more of things like defamation, slander and libel.

But from reading elsewhere on here, is it right that the person being named by many as the perpetrator is still in prison? That's a bit daft, isn't it, and gives some creedence to BG's "until it is confirmed".

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
My son had hospital appointment for 12:15. Doc was running late. Didn't get to see him until 13:00. Stopped to get sandwich and coffee when leaving St Thomas and walked over bridge. Heard the 2O'Clock chimes as we walked over. Got the tube from Westminster, and train from London Bridge. Waiting for train to depart, when my son showed me his phone saying someone had been stabbed on westminster bridge (said nothing about the car). Glad we didn't go get take out Yo Sushi from opposite St Thomas. Said we couldn't afford it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here