Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sofa Advice

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
Good morning campers, I trust that this post finds you well.

I’m looking for some advice. After almost ten years of living with our old sofas, kids jumping on and every day life has taken it’s toll and we have come to the conclusion they are fecked and need replacing. Not being something I have ever really looked into I was hoping you lot, with the collective life experience can advise some do’s and don't when it comes to sofa shopping. Where to avoid or to shop, whats a resonable amount to spend etc.

Thank you in advance! :thumbsup:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
We're very pleased with ours from Oak Furniture Land. They're far less pushy than DFS etc. and seem to be better quality. DFS is a ghastly experience imho.

Obviously it would be nice to go to a bespoke local boutique if you had the money, I guess!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Couple of questions first: are any of your kids still at the jumping-on-sofa age range? How important is it that they are easy to clean (spillages from kids, elderly folk, drunken Albion fans)? Do you have a cat (resistance to the animal using it as a scratching post)? Budget?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Try before you buy :thumbsup:

bca0c719b2728e0f39d9b4fccc69bc4d.gif

D

Deleted member 2719

My advice do not buy from DFS, if you do you will have No dignity.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Couple of questions first: are any of your kids still at the jumping-on-sofa age range? How important is it that they are easy to clean (spillages from kids, elderly folk, drunken Albion fans)? Do you have a cat (resistance to the animal using it as a scratching post)? Budget?

I would second that, all dependent on style (pure comfort/design etc.), material, budget, who's going to be using it...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Think about the space and what the sofa can add to the room. If the room is tight, the last thing you need is a sofa with huge arm and back rests dominating the room. The shape of it as well, some have angled backs that when pushed up against a wall, they're already 300mm into the room. It is often a truism that less is more.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
We're very pleased with ours from Oak Furniture Land. They're far less pushy than DFS etc. and seem to be better quality. DFS is a ghastly experience imho.

Obviously it would be nice to go to a bespoke local boutique if you had the money, I guess!

Not sure how long you've had it, but my parents bought one from there about 3-4 years ago and it's absolutely crap now.

They actually got one from M&S a little while after which has worn far better.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
kids 3 and 6, dog but keeps off sofa, easy to clean or one that doesn't show stains badly. budget £1,000 to £1,500

Kids are still well in the age range where they're going to do damage. In fact, probably more than they have done to date (they're getting heavier!), unless you can/want to stop them jumping on it! Your budget will get you a lower-end leather job from a chain outlet. Dark brown leather is good for stains - easier to clean & also doesn't matter so much if it does stain - it all adds to the "character".

Be inclined to look at M&S or JL, personally.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
kids 3 and 6, dog but keeps off sofa, easy to clean or one that doesn't show stains badly. budget £1,000 to £1,500

Ikea are actually a decent option, also swoon and made for online retailers. Leather is relatively easy to clean if you look after it. We have a fabric sofa from Made and 2 kids (5 and 3) which we get cleaned every 6-12 months or so and it has held up fairly well over the last 4 years.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Do not get a reclining sofa, they are so uncomfortable it is untrue. I wish I still had my old one that had fallen apart, it was incredibly comfortable. Hi should have thrown a rug over it.

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk

I remember Alan Clark MP - resident of Saltwood Castle and son of Lord Clark - referring dismissively to Michael Heseltine as "the kind of man who buys his own furniture".

The correct way to resolve this dilemma is obvious ... go and speak to your grandparents and take one of their sofas.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Currently in the market for a new one as well...although with a slightly smaller budget and a 2/3 person one...with a grand child and the prospect of more I'm probably going the leather route

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Your budget will get you a lower-end leather job from a chain outlet. Dark brown leather is good for stains - easier to clean & also doesn't matter so much if it does stain - it all adds to the "character".
My number one sofa buying tip:

Leather is not leather! You think you're getting cow (or similar) skin, but instead the leather have been treated with chemicals to make it expand, and then it's been been sliced into 10 pieces like wafer thin ham - or you get the off-cuts, which have been stuck in a machine and minced up with glue and then sprayed onto a sofa. You can look online about the naming standards for these 'leather' options.

Worst sofas I've ever bought were some 'leather' ones from Furniture Village. The 'leather' just fell off. I googled it and saw plenty of others with the same problem. Terrible company IMO.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here