Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pro football.... is it worth it?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Really interesting read,

I was/am a long very, very long way from being blessed with the skill necessary to be a professional footballer - but I've often pondered that I'd absolutely hate the lifestyle. As it is I earn enough money doing a job I enjoy - so I count my blessings.

I often feel sorry for footballers that have to move to some northern shithole so they can earn enough to support their family even if they hate it up there. Players that show loyalty to one club are often labled unambitious, but maybe their childen being settled in a school is more important to them than earning even more cash for a few years.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
What authority is he? Was never a profession player, just a fan with friends who are? At what level? Doesn't mention the ones' that do make it, the 'sacrifice' they made by not getting shit faced on a Friday with their mates for 10 years or being able to speak their minds is compensated heavily with salary. Who here will/have retired in their mid to late 30s as a millionaire?
It's an interesting topic, thought provoking opinion piece. Would be good to hear from ex professionals. I only know of 1 guy who went pro, moved out to the states, had a great life, now early 30s and no longer playing, wife and kids living it up. Good on him.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I know a couple of ex Albion youngsters who are totally out of love with the game now. As I commented on the thread about English players playing abroad, the education youngsters receive is minimal and doesn't prepare them for life, if they get rejected at 18.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here