Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

American Express Building Demolition.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

The Regency Society said they were unimpressed with initial proposals for The Wedding Cake’s replacement because it offers less employment space, supplies just 65 units of housing and its proposed green spaces would be “drab and unpleasant” in the shadow of tall buildings around them.

id say the Regency Society should keep their beak out, or form the Elizabethian Society. but i particularly like their shameless contradiction, the proposals dont offer enough office space and housing and green space. nothings ever good enough is it, because planning has to cover so many conflicting requirements.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Taste is subjective, but every Brightonian that I know has some form of affection for it, they certainly know where it is.

every Brightonian I know has literally no opinion on it. The very definition of not being iconic I would have thought.

If mentioned to anyone outside of the nearby area the general reaction has always been something akin to "American Express have headquarters in Brighton? Well I didn't know that".

It's not iconic, it's just most people in Brighton know where it was because it was massive.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
We used to sneak in pretending to be members and play snooker in the snooker halls till we ran out of change for the light meters.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
40 years does seem such a short life span for a building.

It does - My team were pretty much the last to leave and the place was, literally, falling apart. Despite the fact the 8th floor had been refurbished before they found asbetsos. We could only use the desks that didn't have buckets on them to capture water from the roof. Having a south facing seat by the window was fantastic until the sun came out, then you felt like an ant under a magnifying glass.

Oh, and you could sometimes see the Isle of Wight :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here