Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Duffy tweet

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
It's hardly a cheap point is it. You were comparing Simon Weston to a terrorist that plotted to kill innocent British civilians. If you can't see the difference between that and our forces fighting an army containing conscripts, then you are hardly worth arguing with. He put his body on the line for Brighton! well that puts those terrorist atrocities into perspective. He's paid a huge wedge to play football. Anyway, you have your opinion and I have mine and we both have the right to state them. If we argue all night, I guarantee neither of us will change our minds. So have a lovely evening. Up The Albion. (except that **** Duffy!)

I love that last part. If Duffy had kept his thoughts to himself everyone on here would have still been singing his praises, now he is the Devil incarnate and we should get rid of as soon as... priceless!

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I love that last part. If Duffy had kept his thoughts to himself everyone on here would have still been singing his praises, now he is the Devil incarnate and we should get rid of as soon as... priceless!

Exactly. That is precisely what he should have done.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Player's an Irish Catholic, born and bred in Derry. Would have heard the name Martin McGuinness endlessly talked about and possibly revered by his own friends, family and community sector for his entire life. We'll never know. Why on earth would he not personally respect the man and give a nod to his passing. Two sides to every story. Exactly the same divide as would apply to, say, Nelson Mandela or Menachem Begin. It's a cliche but it's utterly true: one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. In our safe Southern England homes, we have absolutely no idea of the passions of others that lead them to extreme acts.

Empathy doesn't have to come direct experience as you have just shown. Neither is empathy one dimensional. From my perspective i applaud him recognising someone bringing peace whixh is what i assume he has done

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
A lot of people commenting on here about IRA bombings but conveniently forgetting why the army was first deployed to NI in 1969 which was to protect the catholic population. The IRA were very much a minority group with little support, things changed when the Conservative and UNIONIST government came to power in 1970. Both communities were polarised and the violence increased and with violence came more violence and a lot of bad things were done from extremists on all sides.

Fortunately the leaders of these organisations realised they were going nowhere and started to talk to each other - it takes quite a lot for men of violence to actually stop and there needs to be some positive recognition of this as Martin McGuinness did realise the error of his ways as did Ian Paisley. Both men took big personal risks by doing what they did, had they not done this the troubles would have continued and a lot more deaths followed. Little solace for the families of those killed or maimed but at least it came to a stop.

As for Shane Duffy he made a comment as an individual about his view on a person who helped restore peace to NI.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here