Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Duffy tweet

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
There's no law that says they should.

But in this day and age of social media, they can expect a backlash of sorts both online and at their place of work, so its probably wiser to keep council. If Duffy is thick-skinned enough to take the abuse his views will inevitably attract from some fans, then that's up to him. He's publically declared himself as an IRA sympathiser...personally I don't think that was very wise, but that was entirely his choice.

Duffy hasn't declared himself to be an IRA sympathiser. For many years McGuiness advocated non-violence and was one of the people who compromised and brought about peace. He worked alongside the likes of Ian Paisley, which I honestly don't think I could have done. I'm not Irish and certainly not an IRA sympathiser, but I admire the man McGuiness became. People need to stop living in the past. There is nothing wrong with Duffy's tweet.

This reminds me of when I come down south and say to people who've never been to Liverpool where I live. They say things like "How bad is Toxteth now". "Are there riots very often". "Is that guy Hatton still running the council" "isn't Liverpool very run down and depressing". Those are all comments from more than 30 years ago.Its exactly the same with Martin McGuiness who had moved on -and we should all do the same...

Rant over!!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Hardly - I have had no choice but to listen to them for the best part of four decades, it's been rammed down my throat. What English people have never had is the views of ordinary Irish people explained to them fully, that's the only reason why Shane's utterly commonplace opinion (from his community) would come as a surprise

What about the communities/people of Ulster who want to be part of the Union, I'll assume as always with you their view doesn't count as it doesn't align with yours right?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
almost as if you have no understanding of where those with English blood might be coming from?

From the position of always being the one with the massive well equipped armies to fight a much smaller and under equipped group of disaffected native citizens who battled on despite the odds that were stacked against them?

See how some people might look upon such an unfair fight and side with the underdog?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
What about the communities/people of Ulster who want to be part of the Union, I'll assume as always with you their view doesn't count as it doesn't align with yours right?

Excuse my ignorance if i have got this wrong, but they still are part of the Union aren't they?
And people aren't being killed about it anymore​.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
“As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn't leave my bitterness and hatred behind, I'd still be in prison.” ― Nelson Mandela

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
it was a very clumsy and hardly comparable example you cited though. I think that's where you went wrong.

Not really. Do feel free to head down to Buenos Aires and share your opinions on Falklands heroes if you want to test the metaphor out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Not really. Do feel free to head down to Buenos Aires and share your opinions on Falklands heroes if you want to test the metaphor out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was there a couple of years ago, the Argentinians on the whole don't give a flying f*ck about the Falklands, especially on a day to day basis. Actually found it to be quite an Anglophile country!

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Poorly thought analogy.

In the case of NI, MM was more like the French Resistance. Any issues with what the FR did?

Bombing shopping centres? When did the French resistance kill civilians in their own country, that had a government that was the choice of the majority?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here