Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Duffy tweet

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Link?
This one?
Shane Duffy‏Verified account [MENTION=14730]shane[/MENTION]Duffy34 4h4 hours ago
More
More tragic news this morning, RIP Martin Mc Guinness a true hero for many off us �� god bless your family and close ones #ireland

So his tweet is only sympathising the IRA and not about the Good Friday agreement and peace? Bearing in mind his age.
Just playing devils advocate.

Has he? Where?

Well we can get into semantics I suppose. But if you've spent your life considering Martin McGuinness a personal hero of yours, then given what he was, is that not by definition being supportive of the IRA ?

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
A thread for the dustbin.
He's entitled to share his views as is anyone else. Nothing that controversial in his statement. People can make what they want of it, but there is nothing wrong with what he has said.
Maybe silly to pop on twitter as everyone loves to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Well we can get into semantics I suppose. But if you've spent your life considering Martin McGuinness a personal hero of yours, then given what he was, is that not by definition being supportive of the IRA ?

But 'what he was (before)' wasn't in Shanes lifetime. Shane's lifetime has been dominated by McGuinness' political movement towards peace. Is that merely semantics? I could be very wrong, could be, but I don't get your deduction from his tweet.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
His views should be treated with exactly the same respect as the publicly expressed views of members of the Bloom family on the Israeli question.

It's not about respect (or lack of) for individuals' views. It's about expressing politically controversial views in your role as a visible employee of a particular organisation. Are these members of the Bloom family who expressed these views employees of the club, and if they are did they express the views in their role as employees, or in a clear personal capacity? (genuine question). Duffy's twitter account has a picture of him in Brighton strip and the only description of him on the profile is "Professional Footballer @OfficialBHAFC".

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
an awful lot of other people in the public eye should probably keep their thoughts to themself, unless they accept the backlash from those that oppose their view.

does this include her madge?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
There's no law that says they should.

But in this day and age of social media, they can expect a backlash of sorts both online and at their place of work, so its probably wiser to keep council. If Duffy is thick-skinned enough to take the abuse his views will inevitably attract from some fans, then that's up to him. He's publically declared himself as an IRA sympathiser...personally I don't think that was very wise, but that was entirely his choice.

Shane Duffy is in his early twenties. His life experience is of Martin McGuinness being a campaigner for peace and one of the principal brokers of a settled Northern Ireland for a number of years. I hardly think that makes him an IRA Sympathiser.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Why the IRA and not Sinn Fein, for instance?

But 'what he was' wasn't in Shanes lifetime. Shane's lifetime has been dominated by McGuinness' political movement towards peace. Is that merely semantics? I could be very wrong, could be, but I don't get your deduction from his tweet.

Well rightly or wrongly, I inferred from his tweet that McGuinness was a hero of his. I think he was a murdering piece of filth, and his involvement in Sinn Fein post that doesn't eradicate his past. Just a differing opinion, so who's to say who's right and who's wrong ?

My point was, its probably a subject best left alone by footballers who operate in a very high profile bubble in front of tens of thousands of fans, many of whom need little or no encouragement to seize on something and dish out vitriol and abuse. He's well within his rights to express his views of course, but IMO, I just don't think it was a great idea. He's a big boy though, I'm sure he can handle it.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
being offended is part of life. Living peacefully with people who believe different things and behave in different ways to us is normal everyday life. We seem to have created a super culture of wet blankets who want the freedom to do whatever they want without the experience of ever being offended by somebody else.

I personally am offended when someone owns a pet. The fact they spend money on feeding and caring for an animal when across the world humans are living in awful conditions and being treated terribly by others and exploited by greed

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

If he's seen at first hand, given his place of birth, the misery and carnage caused by terrorism, then perhaps he considered McGuinness's conversion to the peace process to be a positive. It's not the same as supporting the IRA.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Well rightly or wrongly, I inferred from his tweet that McGuinness was a hero of his. I think he was a murdering piece of filth, and his involvement in Sinn Fein post that doesn't eradicate his past. Just a differing opinion, so who's to say who's right and who's wrong?

My point was, its probably a subject best left alone by footballers who operate in a very high profile bubble in front of tens of thousands of fans, many of whom need little or no encouragement to seize on something and dish out vitriol and abuse. He's well within his rights to express his views of course, but IMO, I just don't think it was a great idea. He's a big boy though, I'm sure he can handle it.

You have said he's wrong by saying he 'declared himself an IRA sympathiser'. He's not done that so in case you could be wrong?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

No, not necessarilyit isn't. Duffy was only 5 when the Good Friday Agreement was signed and whilst there is no doubt he would have subsequently been aware of the history, his experience would be more during the peace period and McGuinness's time in politics. I don't blame any of the families who lost relatives to the IRA in the troubles for not forgiving him, that is entirely understandable but for the rest of us you can't escape the fact that he did turn his back on that aspect and it seems to have been relatively effective for the last 20 years compared to what went on in the previous 20 years before the agreement.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The son of Ian Paisley gave a warm and glowing tribute to McGuiness. Whilst i deplore his previous life as a terrorist, he changed course and campaigned and fought for a peaceful solution. At which point can a man not have a change of heart/stance? So i see nothing wrong with Duffy's tweet if he is referring to the peace process.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If he's seen at first hand, given his place of birth, the misery and carnage caused by terrorism, then perhaps he considered McGuinness's conversion to the peace process to be a positive. It's not the same as supporting the IRA.

Exactly. People who form opinions from the coal face - whether it is Shane Duffy who grew up in Derry or ex-soldiers in NI who have seen mates shot - are worthy of respect. The rest of us, barely touched by the troubles, really ought to be careful about judging others for their views.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Piers Morgan manages to do that fairly well, as do Donald Trump, Katie Hopkins, Gary Lineker etc.

difference is they represent only themselves, except Trump who has been widely criticised for carrying on his tweet-rage when in office. Duffy represents BHA, and his views will cast a shadow over his reputation among the fans and on the club from further afield. maybe they shouldn't, but thats just life.

difference is they represent only themselves, except Trump who has been widely criticised for carrying on his tweet-rage when in office. Duffy represents BHA, and his views will cast a shadow over his reputation among the fans and on the club from further afield. maybe they shouldn't, but thats just life.

Except he doesn't represent the club, I am not aware of any official spokesperson status he has gained. He is an individual employee of the club, nothing more, nothing less.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Going to be difficult to find anyone from The City On The Foyle - whichever way they want to spell it - without very polarised views on this. I'm pretty sure people don't want to go back to the 1980s where footballers opinions on anything were only expressed in one-page interviews in Shoot where they discussed which tacky chain pub they preferred their steak and chips from and which cheap sportscar they drove.

Day earlier, Duffy donated a grand towards the funeral expenses of Derry City's captain who died (probably) from an on-field injury. The other constant figure of media hate for having similar opinions, McClean, did the same and is known for funding operations for kids etc. You're not dealing with monsters here.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

No he doesn't, any more than Piers Morgan represents ITV. He's an employee, not a spokesperson.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Queen shook his hand. Prince Charles shook his hand. Worked with Ian Paisley, and became friends. User on NSC, wishes a Brighton player, who was born in Derry, a career ending cruciate injury for an RIP tweet.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here