Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Duffy tweet

Hugo Rune

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
There is far worse going on in the world than someone expressing an opinion.

Indeed. McGuinness was a peace maker during Duffy's life not the evil terrorist older people know him as.

The atrocities he carried out or had a part in could have been carried out or ordered by any violent extremist, he is no war hero. However, the peace he helped build made him unique. There was no one else capable of coming to the table to talk to the government and bring the IRA with them. He got the IRA to decommission, that's probably harder than banning guns in America.

Nice to see Duffy sticking up for his opinion despite some obvious ignorance or indifference about the evil McGuinness committed before he was born. That attitude makes him the amazing player he is.

Hamilton

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It's interesting to quote N. Hill. We do seem to celebrate via other cultures. That's partly why I aked what it is to be English IF you don't have another culture within immediate ancestry. Everyone I know and hold dear that has eg Scottish, Indian, Polish etc parents or grandparents or great grandparents STRONGLY identifies with those blood lines. Much as the Americans do with Italian, Irish etc (you never hear about American-English interestingly). So what does it mean to be English these days if your can't draw on that background? I think this group is a bit, well, in crisis in terms of a unifying set of traits in the modern sense. As others have said far more eloquently!

But isn't it the case that if you start identifying what it means to be in another culture then you just start to list stereotypes. After all, what does it mean to be Irish? The craic; Guinness, horse racing, live music etc. if that's what it means then we can list our own identity - cricket, pubs, Morris Men. Bonfire Night etc.

Going deeper, there is the sense of humour, queuing, creativity (London is and has been a creative hub for many years.)

I fear every culture will claim it is losing its identity and always has done so back through the centuries. It isn't lost, it's just evolving.

Sent from my iPhone in a non-Calde world :-(

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Bombing shopping centres? When did the French resistance kill civilians in their own country, that had a government that was the choice of the majority?

They killed French Nazi sympathisers all the time, many who were civilians. They executed 9000 not long after France was repatriated.

Never heard of the Vichy French?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Of course he will be coming from one view of the situation but that doesn't mean he doesn't understand the history. What makes you think he has an imperfect understanding rather than you or anyone else having an imperfect understanding?

You make generalisations about his intelligence just because he earns his living playing football.

Personally I'm okay with the idea that someone from Derry might have a deeper understanding of the issues than people on here who have never been closer to Northern Ireland than Horsham. But others clearly think differently.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Mandela-like?! LOL
I'm not sure that Mandela was responsible for murdering hundreds of innocent members of his 'own' community like McGuiness did let alone hundreds of other innocents as well as those in the security forces!

As for being hailed as some sort of peace-maker let's remember that McGuiness and Adams just had to stop murdering people because, albeit a tad simplistically, that was what led to 'peace'!!

I haven't researched the voracity or source of this article... and I can't begin to assess 'innocence' in this context... I just googled it in typically lazy modern-day fashion... but there are clearly people around who would disagree with your first sentence...

http://www.nationalreview.com/artic...ithout-rose-colored-glasses-andrew-c-mccarthy

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
In 2013. Or not if you're willing to accept the "someone else had my phone" explanation.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/mar/19/shane-duffy-twitter-ira-everton

Duffy hasn't declared himself to be an IRA sympathiser. For many years McGuiness advocated non-violence and was one of the people who compromised and brought about peace. He worked alongside the likes of Ian Paisley, which I honestly don't think I could have done. I'm not Irish and certainly not an IRA sympathiser, but I admire the man McGuiness became. People need to stop living in the past. There is nothing wrong with Duffy's tweet.

This reminds me of when I come down south and say to people who've never been to Liverpool where I live. They say things like "How bad is Toxteth now". "Are there riots very often". "Is that guy Hatton still running the council" "isn't Liverpool very run down and depressing". Those are all comments from more than 30 years ago.Its exactly the same with Martin McGuiness who had moved on -and we should all do the same...

Rant over!!

Some people will remember the story in the link posted by Bozza ( above ) and think, no smoke without fire.
Someone else used his phone? Oh ok ???
I honesty think this thread wouldn't have got this far if Duffy had mentioned the word PEACE in his tweet(s).

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
But isn't it the case that if you start identifying what it means to be in another culture then you just start to list stereotypes. After all, what does it mean to be Irish? The craic; Guinness, horse racing, live music etc. if that's what it means then we can list our own identity - cricket, pubs, Morris Men. Bonfire Night etc.

Going deeper, there is the sense of humour, queuing, creativity (London is and has been a creative hub for many years.)

I fear every culture will claim it is losing its identity and always has done so back through the centuries. It isn't lost, it's just evolving.

Sent from my iPhone in a non-Calde world :-(
I quite like that perspective. Interesting, thank you.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I honesty think this thread wouldn't have got this far if Duffy had mentioned the word PEACE in his tweet(s).

Well I'm just glad he didn't.

NSC would have been very quiet otherwise, as it's an international week, and we need all the clicks and the subsequent Google income that is genarated to keep us in the life of champagne, cocaine and Columbian hookers to which we have become accustomted.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
They killed French Nazi sympathisers all the time, many who were civilians. They executed 9000 not long after France was repatriated.

Never heard of the Vichy French?

Not indiscriminate then.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

NSC would have been very quiet otherwise, as it's an international week, and we need all the clicks and the subsequent Google income that is genarated to keep us in the life of champagne, cocaine and Columbian hookers to which we have become accustomted.

Have you got the Gian Luca and the brasses the wrong way round?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

:lol:

I heard it was just you and the Columbian hookers.:whistle:

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
You see, this is why I have this impression of you that I do. Most other people would have used the gerund, instead you considered that ugly word and went for something even worse.

That's because I'm not like most other people and if it offends your overly refined sensibilities so be it.

You keep on keeping on with the evasionary putdowning, that is after all your trademark.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

When did we move on to 'C'? I'm still on booze, beluga, and driving the Bugatti. I've got some catching up to do - though the pace is killing me.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Good to see the thread has deteriorated to Finbarr Saunders territory, much easier than talking about whether or not a murderer was also a peacemaker eh?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Good to see the thread has deteriorated to Finbarr Saunders territory, much easier than talking about whether or not a murderer was also a peacemaker eh?

Easier? Undoubtedly. Less relevant to a football forum? Not so much. Knock yourself out though. Oh, probably wise not to wish a career-ending injury on an Albion player though.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Was there a couple of years ago, the Argentinians on the whole don't give a flying f*ck about the Falklands, especially on a day to day basis. Actually found it to be quite an Anglophile country!
True. Majority I've spoken to about it (including a long chat a couple of weeks ago) think it was an Ill-advised action and have bigger things to worry about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here