Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Duffy tweet

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
No I wasn't, you were. I was merely illustrating how people from different places would view the same person differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it was a very clumsy and hardly comparable example you cited though. I think that's where you went wrong.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Indeed, I have a SAUCE who tells me that Duffy won't be playing in the next game for us.
I've HERD he's bean BAND for the foreseeable future.

What a TWIT.

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
Can we please stop saying that footballers put their bodies on the line. It's a bloody insult to people who take genuine risks in the line of duty [emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm not really fussed about the views and opinions - political or otherwise - of Albion players. To me, they are entitled to their opinions and if they want to voice it, then they shouldn't be abused for it.

Always worth looking at things for the other person's perspective, too. Amazing the number of people who can't seem to do that.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
SD's tweet doesn't bother me. Hard to have a conclusive opinion on MM, a man whose life was a paradox and full of polar contradictions, probably some smokescreen, hidden aswell as known atrocities etc. He didn't start the "war", did horrible things during it, but seems to have been influential in ending it - if that is really where we are now?
Anyway, I found last year's weekend break to Belfast fascinating, with very open and interesting history of The Troubles on the black cab tour (highly recommended), the people friendly and welcoming and left feeling more positive that I would have imagined when visiting the site of the Grand on a weekend after the bombing.
Would imagine Barber will have a quiet word with him though, braver man than me haha.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I hope he doesn't read this thread..

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Good luck to Shane - most of us Brighton fans with Irish blood know where he is coming from when he praised what his community overwhelmingly believes is a Mandela like peacemaking figure. I hope the majority of Brighton fans who have no Irish blood can show some empathy and understanding

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Good luck to Shane - most of us Brighton fans with Irish blood know where he is coming from when he praised what his community overwhelmingly believes is a Mandela like peacemaking figure. I hope the majority of Brighton fans who have no Irish blood can show some empathy and understanding

You sound a little bit too virtuous, almost as if you have no understanding of where those with English blood might be coming from?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Hmm. Duffy seems to have expressed an opinion based on one view of a situation and an imperfect understanding of the history of the island of Ireland. He seems not to have considered the fact that some will not agree with him, while others will almost wilfully put the worst interpretation on his actions, and a few will overreact with a self-righteousness that disregards the fact that he's a young footballer with the limited world view typical of many in his profession. What a glorious gift to NSC, especially in international week when we haven't got any Albion matches to foam at the mouth about.

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
Martin Mcguinness was a fighter who had the belief that Ireland should be a united country once again and not under British rule . The IRA fought against British rule and for a united Ireland .Their actions were on many occasions disgraceful , disgusting and out of proportion with what was needed to make their point . But the intransigence of successive British governments over decades merely served to further their cause .

My wife lost a brother in an IRA ambush and I randomly got to know a significant figure who was part of those negotiations . In fact he was the man who met Martin Mcgunness and then went to meet Thatcher late at night in Downing Street on a number of occasions relaying messages back and forth. He told me she drank a half pint of whiskey at their meetings which is an interesting detail . He had a very high opinion of Martin Mcguiness given his change from a fighter to a politician . The end result was better than anyone hoped . This significant figure died in July last year in Brighton - unrecognised for his achievements due to the secrecy required when you don't negotiate with terrorists .

God bless him and Martin Mcguinness for their roles in changing history .

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
Mandela-like?! LOL
I'm not sure that Mandela was responsible for murdering hundreds of innocent members of his 'own' community like McGuiness did let alone hundreds of other innocents as well as those in the security forces!

As for being hailed as some sort of peace-maker let's remember that McGuiness and Adams just had to stop murdering people because, albeit a tad simplistically, that was what led to 'peace'!!

You sound a little bit too virtuous, almost as if you have no understanding of where those with English blood might be coming from?

Hardly - I have had no choice but to listen to them for the best part of four decades, it's been rammed down my throat. What English people have never had is the views of ordinary Irish people explained to them fully, that's the only reason why Shane's utterly commonplace opinion (from his community) would come as a surprise

Mandela-like?! LOL
I'm not sure that Mandela was responsible for murdering hundreds of innocent members of his 'own' community like McGuiness did let alone hundreds of other innocents as well as those in the security forces!

As for being hailed as some sort of peace-maker let's remember that McGuiness and Adams just had to stop murdering people because, albeit a tad simplistically, that was what led to 'peace'!!

Another one who has conveniently forgotten Thatcher labelled Mandela a terrorist

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Hardly - I have had no choice but to listen to them for the best part of four decades, it's been rammed down my throat. What English people have never had is the views of ordinary Irish people explained to them fully, that's the only reason why Shane's utterly commonplace opinion (from his community) would come as a surprise
No really, it does further supplemented with some patronising but still nonsense.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
But, once upon a time, Israeli terrorists did wage war against the British. Which proves, of course, that there comes a time when we put aside hostilities and work together for a better, peaceful future.

The question is: when will that be universally acknowledged as the way forward for Ireland? Not yet, for some people, obviously. But there are plenty of us who think that the time has come.

My first visit to Israel, early 90s, I was hosted by a old guy born in Bulgaria who had fled to Israel way back. He drove me around Tel Aviv and pointed out a building with pock marked walls. "That's where I shot at some of your lot when I was fighting for independence". He chuckled, but I didn't anticipate him pulling out a handgun and waving it at me face. Which of course he didn't. Times change.

That said I don't expect any of the NSC folk who served in NI, or had family killed there to be equally relaxed about the present event. Too soon, perhaps. To those of you who have decided to stay schtum on this thread, hats off to you.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Hmm. Duffy seems to have expressed an opinion based on one view of a situation and an imperfect understanding of the history of the island of Ireland. He seems not to have considered the fact that some will not agree with him, while others will almost wilfully put the worst interpretation on his actions, and a few will overreact with a self-righteousness that disregards the fact that he's a young footballer with the limited world view typical of many in his profession. What a glorious gift to NSC, especially in international week when we haven't got any Albion matches to foam at the mouth about.

Of course he will be coming from one view of the situation but that doesn't mean he doesn't understand the history. What makes you think he has an imperfect understanding rather than you or anyone else having an imperfect understanding?

You make generalisations about his intelligence just because he earns his living playing football.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I personally am offended when someone owns a pet. The fact they spend money on feeding and caring for an animal
The Brazilian goalkeeper Bruno Fernandes de Souza didn't spend money on feeding his pet. He fed his pet so he didn't have to spend money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here