Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Duffy tweet

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
For every ones terrorist is another persons freedom fighter. Were the American colonists terrorists when they fought a successful war against British colonialism? I doubt the USA today would take that view.

Were the IRA in the south of Ireland terrorists in the 1916 rising and the guerrilla war that followed which led to the Irish free state?

It seems that when an armed struggle has not brought the aims it was intended to do, then they are labelled terrorists.

I am not condoning IRA attacks on civilians in the troubles which were wrong, but atrocities were committed on both sides, including the British army.

Thankfully all sides managed in the end to form a peace agreement, which McGuinness was a part off.

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 3, 2012
I'm loathed to get involved in this debate as I've found out today that my player of the season regards an IRA commanding c*nt as his hero but can I please respond to your absolute scollobs that you've posted here.

"I'm not a self-loathing Englishman...waah..waah..the flag has been tarnished by English patriotism...I embrace other cultures...waah..waah".

You ARE the very embodiment of a self-loathing Englishman if you think that our flag has been appropriated by anyone and then feel the need to qualify your English credentials by stating that you embrace other cultures. We all do matey, we don't feel the need to make a piss-poor apology for being a reluctant Englishman though.

There are bad Englishmen just like there are bad Irishmen, Scotch or Frenchies. The only difference is that we are the only country where we have people like you flagellating themselves about it. F*cking winds me up no end.

To be fair, Shane Duffy was just a twinkle in his father's eye when Martin McGuinness and others were blowing people up. Maybe his hero is the Martin McGuinness who was an essential part of the peace process and ended up the best of friends with his former greatest enemy, Ian Paisley, and shook hands with the Queen, whose favourite uncle had been blown up by the IRA.

And I'm not trying to stick up for Martin McGuinness.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
For what it's worth and this is from someone who comes from an Irish Catholic father and a Protestant Scottish mother.

I don't think Shane Duffy was wise to raise his opinion on such a sensitive issue. I don't say his views are right or wrong, I just don't think that it is good policy to risk alienating 50% of your ''fan base''

Martin Mc Guinness in my opinion had 2 separate lives one of which I find totally unacceptable; however with all criminals and criminal acts. Rehabilitation goes hand in hand with punishment. For me as much as I find him responsible for many deaths in the early part of his life, I must also concede that his actions in later life probably saved just as many lives if not more.

People all around the world should come to realise that compromise is the only way forward. People have fought wars for centuries over land on this wonderful earth. But it is only land. As human beings we merely ''lease'' this land during our time on earth and life is far more important than land.

Land will be here long after we are gone and there is enough to go round and share amongst all of us and as Martin Mc Guinness came to that realisation I am sure a lot more lives will be saved.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
One odd side issue to all this is that the Brexit campaigners of 2016 seem to have done more to increase the long-term likelihood of a united Ireland than the IRA's bloody efforts ever did.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Of course Germans feel conflicted about their past but we're talking about Englishmen conflicted about the present and other people right now waving their national flag. You've clearly missed the point by a mile so rather than trying to patronise me, why don't you try to understand the point being made or maybe you could go for a lie down. Choice is yours, I'm easy with either.

If you look back through the thread (see post # 63) you will see that it was a discussion about identity and history. But sorry if that was not the reference you were picking up on.

You DO come across as very tense though.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Sorry. It's just whenever you post, I envisage Russell Brand. You're a very good online imitation.

*awaits a sub-Brand kind of response*

A brief glimpse into your fantasies (a la Wizard of Oz), however whimsical, insufficient masks your dissemble and deflection.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
If you look back through the thread (see post # 63) you will see that it was a discussion about identity and history. But sorry if that was not the reference you were picking up on.

You DO come across as very tense though.

So you respond specifically to my post but use it not to answer the point I was making but to an earlier, as then, unspecified one. I can assure you, I'm not tense, just slightly flattered in your belief in my mind-reading skills.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
But I totally agree with you here, as long as they are not going to take offence at others berating them for their views.

I had to endure nearly 20 minutes of bloody Piers Morgan on TalkSport the other day, banging on how he'd be telling people 9 years ago, that Wenger was no good for Arsenal.
I don't know the bloke, never want to, but still cannot take to him.

My point is that, everyone is entitled to an opinion, whether you're Shane Duffy or some media clown.
IMO, if I was SD, I wouldn't have said such things on Twitter, but kept things to myself.
I don't him personally, all I know is that he plays for the Albion and does a splendid job.
Anyway, it'll all blow over once season picks again.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
Apr 5, 2014
I'm loathed to get involved in this debate as I've found out today that my player of the season regards an IRA commanding c*nt as his hero but can I please respond to your absolute scollobs that you've posted here.

"I'm not a self-loathing Englishman...waah..waah..the flag has been tarnished by English patriotism...I embrace other cultures...waah..waah".

You ARE the very embodiment of a self-loathing Englishman if you think that our flag has been appropriated by anyone and then feel the need to qualify your English credentials by stating that you embrace other cultures. We all do matey, we don't feel the need to make a piss-poor apology for being a reluctant Englishman though.

There are bad Englishmen just like there are bad Irishmen, Scotch or Frenchies. The only difference is that we are the only country where we have people like you flagellating themselves about it. F*cking winds me up no end.

You suggest that in some way my Englishness is almost sinful to me. Far from it. Quite the opposite.

But you must understand that most people are not ashamed to be English- just the way that so many folk cannot differentiate between patriotism and nationalism. I suspect we are not, as you suggest, the only nation with this concern.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
There are old, white South Africans who still consider Mandela nothing but a terrorist and young black South Africans who consider him nothing but a president. Even those who know the whole story will have views on him skewed to one side. I'm not equating Northern Ireland to apartheid but I am saying that your age and upbringing will help determine your view and I'm also saying you're perfectly entitled to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
*boom*. You even nouned a verb. Well played Russell.

Although tempting, I eschewed dissemblation.

I'm also tempted to ask why you're still at it but looking back at #97 it does now appear a bit rhetoric rather than the intended direct challenge.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I'm English and am far from self loathing concerning it. I also embrace other cultures. I feel no need to define the fabric of my existence borders and man made limitations that come from something other than my experience.

One of the reasons that people are so uncertain about English identity is because of those who have replaced patriotism with nationalistic rhetoric which has tarnished the 'flag'.

Trust me, I'm very 'English' in character. But with this I'm embrace other cultures that, for the most part, add richness to it.

What is it in you view, to be English these days? nb: not British, that's on its way out if not in the Skip already! Wales, Ireland and Scotland all have strong, confident sense of identity but ours appears less easy to define other than perhaps to be English is to embrace all other cultures almost to the expense of our own. So what is it to be English these days, if you don't have another nationality within the immediate lineage to celebrate?

This was quite a thought provoking piece yesterday if interested:

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...england-avoid-a-meltdown-of-national-identity

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth
yes and so would my father who did not believe in northern Ireland.. and he had to put up with what not would be hate crime..i.e thick paddy, etc. Imagine if France decided Brighton was part of France we would be piss*d off. Northern Ireland is part of Ireland not a different country in My opinion.. but the IRA and McGuinness a again in my opinion C**ts

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
For 15,000 years successive waves of migration and invasion have forged England into a veritable melting pot of cultures, ideas & beliefs, constantly in flux, the most diverse of mongrel nations. Curious then that you believe current times so curious!
But you can argue that for almost every other European country inc other parts of the (for now) United Kingdom and yet they do have stronger defined identities today. Right now. Currently. England is very diverse and tribal which makes it hard to define in any unified sense. Maybe that's our definition. The square peg that won't fit into any round holes! I'm sure there are better definitions mind!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
What is it in you view, to be English these days? nb: not British, that's on its way out if not in the Skip already! Wales, Ireland and Scotland all have strong, confident sense of identity but ours appears less easy to define other than perhaps to be English is to embrace all other cultures almost to the expense of our own. So what is it to be English these days, if you don't have another nationality within the immediate lineage to celebrate?

This was quite a thought provoking piece yesterday if interested:

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...england-avoid-a-meltdown-of-national-identity

I find that question perplexing as it is constantly asked of English people but not others. I have lived abroad several times and the question never arose in the media or anywhere else. These places did not have any more or less of a national identity than we do. If you are unsure of English national identity try spending a period living abroad and when you return you will see the Englishness that is common to all parts of our country. It doesn't need explaining.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Although tempting, I eschewed dissemblation.

I'm also tempted to ask why you're still at it but looking back at #97 it does now appear a bit rhetoric rather than the intended direct challenge.

You see, this is why I have this impression of you that I do. Most other people would have used the gerund, instead you considered that ugly word and went for something even worse.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
yes and so would my father who did not believe in northern Ireland.. and he had to put up with what not would be hate crime..i.e thick paddy, etc. Imagine if France decided Brighton was part of France we would be piss*d off. Northern Ireland is part of Ireland not a different country in My opinion.. but the IRA and McGuinness a again in my opinion C**ts

Well , France did decide it owns Corsica. Many countries own disputed territories so it cannot really be argued that the situation with Ireland is black and white and beyond dispute in comparison.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here