Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Duffy tweet

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The PFA guidelines for social media say amongst other things :
https://www.thepfa.com/players/socialmedia/thingstoremember

Avoid commenting on matters of a sensitive nature whether they be football related or not. Bear in mind anything you say may be published and placed in the public domain and is, as such, open to the possibility of misreporting and misinterpretation.

If you are unsure whether a particular post, comment or message could be considered controversial – don’t post it!

Duffy ain't the brightest then is he?!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
But, once upon a time, Israeli terrorists did wage war against the British. Which proves, of course, that there comes a time when we put aside hostilities and work together for a better, peaceful future.

The question is: when will that be universally acknowledged as the way forward for Ireland? Not yet, for some people, obviously. But there are plenty of us who think that the time has come.

I agree. Probably time for the English to forge a new identity too. Not sure what it is to be English anymore a side from self loathing, looking to our past and embracing every other culture but our own. Curious times we live in!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
This. He wasn't offensive in my eyes so I've no idea why anyone else should be 'outraged' in the least.

Because it was a war in recent memory and he's leaning towards 'the side' most people view as the evil ones. Ow and he's living and earning a crust in the country which fought against McGuinness. Surely you're able to understand this? And why there's therefore a bit of controversy about Duffy. Whatever the rights and wrongs, i can completely understand why there may be a bit of a backlash. He's hardly wading into a Auldi v Lidl debate here is he?!! :)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Exactly. People who form opinions from the coal face - whether it is Shane Duffy who grew up in Derry or ex-soldiers in NI who have seen mates shot - are worthy of respect. The rest of us, barely touched by the troubles, really ought to be careful about judging others for their views.

Except of course being born in a conflict zone is quite different to choosing to go and fight in one.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Nobody challenged that explanation.

Indeed. Today's tweet is somewhat surprising given what his father said about that incident though. I guess given the prior incident it's just slightly surprising he's opened himself today in this way.

“We didn’t bring him up that way,” he added. “If you look back on his Twitter, he has over 4,000 tweets on it and there’s not one political comment."

“He’s going to get a backlash and we’ve seen already some of the comments and reaction it’s attracted,” added Mr Duffy. “It’s going to be a lesson learned for him."

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Indeed. Today's tweet is somewhat surprising given what his father said about that incident though. I guess given the prior incident it's just slightly surprising he's opened himself today in this way.

“We didn’t bring him up that way,” he added. “If you look back on his Twitter, he has over 4,000 tweets on it and there’s not one political comment."

“He’s going to get a backlash and we’ve seen already some of the comments and reaction it’s attracted,” added Mr Duffy. “It’s going to be a lesson learned for him."

So now its over 7300 tweets and two political tweets. One wasn't his. It's not that surprising.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 5, 2014
of course he is entitled to his view. however there are consequences of that view for him and his employer. politicans, journalists and campaigners do not have to worry about that so much, or indeed its their purpose to voice those views and take the consequences for those they represent. generally, footballers should stay well out of politics.

So should a few politicians

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
generally, footballers should stay well out of politics.

Absolute rubbish.

Should they stay out of religion too? And speaking about racism? And sexism? And antisemitism? And world poverty? And any other belief they feel strongly about? Where does it end? Should you stay out of politics?

So much for freedom of speech.

Eeyore

Apr 5, 2014
I don't see anything in what he said as inflammatory. There are divided views on McGuinness.

He was a hero to many- for different reasons. No-one has a right to tell Duffy what he can or cannot say. I don't think he should be censored- footballer or not. He has not condoned violence or hatred.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I agree. Probably time for the English to forge a new identity too. Not sure what it is to be English anymore a side from self loathing, looking to our past and embracing every other culture but our own. Curious times we live in!

For 15,000 years successive waves of migration and invasion have forged England into a veritable melting pot of cultures, ideas & beliefs, constantly in flux, the most diverse of mongrel nations. Curious then that you believe current times so curious!

Eeyore

Apr 5, 2014

I'm English and am far from self loathing concerning it. I also embrace other cultures. I feel no need to define the fabric of my existence borders and man made limitations that come from something other than my experience.

One of the reasons that people are so uncertain about English identity is because of those who have replaced patriotism with nationalistic rhetoric which has tarnished the 'flag'.

Trust me, I'm very 'English' in character. But with this I'm embrace other cultures that, for the most part, add richness to it.

edna krabappel

Jul 7, 2003
McGuinness has made no secret of his terrorist past. Unpalatable as that may be, somebody, somewhere from within that set-up had to take the first step and look to move things forward, surely, or we'd all still be in the same place now, walking round shopping centres fearing IRA bombs. I'm merely guessing here, but I doubt the entire IRA command at that time (before the peace process) were in favour of ceasefires and talks: there must have been plenty determined to keep up the bombing, never "surrender" and so on. Therefore I'd surmise that McGuinness must have taken a huge personal risk (arguably to his own life) to step into the limelight and be one of the ones prepared to take the debate into the political arena. Even more so to be seen shaking hands and later signing power-sharing agreements with the likes of Ian Paisley and other prominent Unionists (including terrorists).

On that basis, it's quite easy- for me at least- to see why many people, particularly but not exclusively on the Nationalist side of the argument, would regard him in a positive light in the end.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Goal! You fell for my trap. But anyway don't you think there's a difference between NSC and Twitter? A major difference? Let's see if you can work it out :)

Both are essentially social media platforms in which people can post their views and opinions on a variety of subject matter. Please, if you see it differently explain your reasoning. Also, it'd be nice if you could cease framing your posts in a manner which suggests some sort of intellectual superiority :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here