Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Martin McGuinness Dead

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Amusing that Radio 4 announced McGuiness had died in 'Londonderry'.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
He did and organised some terrible stuff, however you have to acknowledge the role he played in the later peace process.

Whether you respect him or not probably will be based upon which side of the religious divide you fall.

Or if you have sympathy for his cause.

Expect Corbyn and McDonnell were first on the phone to express their sincerest condolences.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Well that was moved pretty god damn quick...

and good riddance, never forget or forgive.

Attachments

• 1972__Martin-McGui_2260242k.jpg
    1972__Martin-McGui_2260242k.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 13

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
In which case I'm sure the Christians on both sides of this debate will do the Christian thing

Keep religion out of it, he was a freedom fighter/terrorist/criminal.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Because he is a Brighton player obviously, i am unfollowing him because he's an IRA sympathiser.
I like reading about football not the IRA.

Happy with that answer?

You would have hoped every player would have been advised to steer well clear of posting contentious political opinions on social media.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Keep religion out of it, he was a freedom fighter/terrorist/criminal.

Given the dispute in northern Ireland was between Protestant and Catholic communities who are both christian it's kind of difficult to leave religion out of it.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
You would have hoped every player would have been advised to steer well clear of posting contentious political opinions on social media.

Why though?

If it's okay for us, as butchers, bakers and candlestick makers to express opinions, then why not Shane Duffy?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Given the dispute in northern Ireland was between Protestant and Catholic communities who are both christian it's kind of difficult to leave religion out of it.

For the supporters of each side there was religious hatred, for those leading and orchestrating the strategy it was about politics and money.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Okay, let's be controversial here.

Was he a terrorist? YES
Was he a murderer? MOST LIKELY
Did he cause pain and suffering to many many families? UNDOUBTEDLY
Did he play a significant part on the peace process? YES
Did his actions in later life improve the prospects for peace in northern Ireland? YES
Did his work with Ian Paisley give hope to many families on both sides? HIGHLY LIKELY

So on balance he seems to have been a sinner who repented. In which case I'm sure the Christians on both sides of this debate will do the Christian thing

It's probably easier to look at what Colin Parry says today which is that you can't forgive what he did but you have to respect the man he became in later life

totally agree, I'm British with no Irish heritage at all, but its good to look at things objectively and from both sides. The pain and suffering the IRA caused to many innocent victims can never be understated, however it is true that one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter. If Germany had of won the second world war and we had been born into and brought up under Germanic rule, would someone from this age who fought against that be a terrorist or a freedom fighter? I dont know many regular ordinary Englishmen who are peaceful civilians in essence who would never contemplate bearing arms if they believed a foreign power was invading our land or way of life, its the very thing that drove many brave souls to do so in WW1 and WW2, they could never accept Britain being rules by another and fought to help others that had come under German rule. NI is a very difficult issue with no black and white only shades of grey depending on which side of the lines you come from and how far you go back into History, there is no denying Ireland was divided by Britain, should the pro irish republicans just accept that and never object? And what of the many innocent civilians killed by the Unionists? Was Rev Iain Paisley a terrorist also, with his links to Ulster freedom fighters? There an no simple answers to such complex issues and divides.

Thats not to condone M McG actions in earlier life, or to ever minimalise the suffering he was a part of, violence and murder was the wrong answer always is the wrong answer and never a solution, but was their anger unjustified? Again that depends on which community you come from.

what he then went onto become should never be forgotten or underestimated either, he was a key peacemaker and pursued that with vigour, without him and the respect he was held under by the republican movement, there would have been no peace process and the sickening troubles may still be claiming innocent victims today. He may of started his race very badly to many on this side of the Irish Sea but he finished it well as a key pillar of the NI Peace process and that should never be discounted. Blair was right to broker the 2 sides into power sharing, Neither side would or could ever accept the others 100% pro Ireland (80 years after the country was divided) or pro British (ignore the fact that Ireland was divided by the British) winner takes all stance, the violence would never end unless both sides met in the middle. Thank goodness they did.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Why though?

If it's okay for us, as butchers, bakers and candlestick makers to express opinions, then why not Shane Duffy?

Most of us humble plebs haven't got high profile jobs with large followings. If Bob the baker tweets 'RIP ex-IRA bloke' he may lose a few customers who know about it. Duffy with a much higher media presence has inevitably alienated some of our supporters.

Of course, he's entitled to express his view but was it wise considering the very predictable backlash?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Most of us humble plebs haven't got high profile jobs with large followings. If Bob the baker tweets 'RIP ex-IRA bloke' he may lose a few customers who know about it. Duffy with a much higher media presence has inevitably alienated some of our supporters.

Of course, he's entitled to express his view but was it wise considering the very predictable backlash?

What's the backlash though? Are you going to boo him the next time he plays? Are you going to wish him a career threatening injury? Are you going to stop supporting the Albion as a consequence?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Shane Duffy‏Verified account [MENTION=14730]shane[/MENTION]Duffy34

Following
More
More tragic news this morning, RIP Martin Mc Guinness a true hero for many off us �� god bless your family and close ones #ireland

Before anybody starts a hate campaign for Shane Duffy, remember how old he is - early twenties - and that for most of his life Martin McGuinness has been a statesmanlike figure working for peace, becoming great friends with former enemies such as Ian Paisley. One tweet does not make SD an IRA sympathiser, as someone said.

What he did in his earlier life was obviously appalling, but Shane didn't live through that. What he has seen is a figure who is more akin to Nelson Mandela, who in his day was a freedom fighter.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
What's the backlash though? Are you going to boo him the next time he plays? Are you going to wish him a career threatening injury? Are you going to stop supporting the Albion as a consequence?

No I'm not. Meant more the online abuse that is likely to come his way from numerous directions.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
No I'm not. Meant more the online abuse that is likely to come his way from numerous directions.

He can handle that with ease. Look at the abuse that fans give out to opposition players (and Leon Best when he's playing for your own team) when they play every Saturday.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
He can handle that with ease. Look at the abuse that fans give out to opposition players (and Leon Best when he's playing for your own team) when they play every Saturday.

Hope so. As bad as football abuse is stirring the pot in politics especially NI politics can lead to some nastier elements getting involved. See Rangers/Celtic.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Are you for ****ing real, rest in peace?? SOME PART in terrible times.

I hope he died an agonising death as he took all those secrets to hell with him. My thoughts are with the families of HIS many victims.

You selected just a small extract which gives a very false slant to my view on the matter, the death of any human is not a time for celebration I will repeat my thoughts are with his family and all those who lost loved ones no matter what side of the divide

He turned away from violence and without his input the peace process would never have happened how many more lives have been saved as a result

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

In some ways, I think it is evidence of the 'success' of the Good Friday agreement that a 24 year old footballer perhaps doesn't understand quite the shitstorm this tweet could create.

It was silly though. Especially given Brighton's not too distant history.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here