Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Martin McGuinness Dead

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Norman Tebbit didn't rate him too highly, if you listened to his telephone interview on GMTV this morning.
Tricky one this, no doubt a total scumbag, but partly due to him no more innocent people are being blown up, maybe he and Adams did it through guilt, maybe they saw it as the only way ahead, maybe they genuinely wanted the peace, we will never know but his biggest downfall was not repenting and telling all about what really happened,nobody should forgive what he did and I believe that if you are capable of carrying out such atrocities then you can't really change 100% but there is no doubt that without him the troubles in NI would probably still be going on with many people still being killed.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Is Marmite binary?

As for McGuiness - I'm a bit "Meh"
Yes, he did bad things and yes he did more recent things to achieve peace.

I'd like to think that, eventually, the penny dropped, that he was never going to achieve his vision through violence and "the pen is mightier than the sword" was eventually recognised.
It is sad that so many lost their lives for him to arrive at this conclusion.

I guess for many, the real issue is that he never served appropriate punishment for his undoubted crimes ....

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
On hearing the news this morning, my first word was "great". Followed by a clenched fist and "rot in hell you barstad"

Hope the other scumbag murdering scumbag joins him very very soon.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I'm not sure 'binary' has crept in to the language?!?! It's not a difficult concept, people are not all good or all bad - As ROSM pointed out, Martin McGuinness has a very dark past, he is also a very important part of the peace process. To recognise the former but not the latter is a mistake.

So ordering the torture/murder of people is not 'all bad' because he subsequently went into mainstream politics. Well you have your opinion and I have mine...

Dawn Korus

Oct 17, 2010
Christmas Island
He did and organised some terrible stuff, however you have to acknowledge the role he played in the later peace process.

Whether you respect him or not probably will be based upon which side of the religious divide you fall.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Sad news RIP a man who took some part in terrible times a man who supported violence but a man who in the end rejected violence to become a towering figure in the peace process my thoughts are with his family and indeed with all those who suffered loss during the troubles.

His dream of a united Ireland could now become real possibility not through the gun nor the Northern Ireland assembly but through a very English Brexit

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Sad news RIP a man who took some part in terrible times........................

Are you for ****ing real, rest in peace?? SOME PART in terrible times.

I hope he died an agonising death as he took all those secrets to hell with him. My thoughts are with the families of HIS many victims.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
He did and organised some terrible stuff, however you have to acknowledge the role he played in the later peace process.

Whether you respect him or not probably will be based upon which side of the religious divide you fall.

Or whether you think he should have been locked up and the key thrown away.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
So ordering the torture/murder of people is not 'all bad' because he subsequently went into mainstream politics. Well you have your opinion and I have mine...

As Colin Parry said this morning, many terrorists turned statesmen have gone on to be remembered positively by history, it doesn't mean they are forgiven for the bad things they've done.

You don't have to forgive or even understand why he did what he did but to look at his life in the whole is worthwhile. You may also want to consider why he ended up in the IRA - I'm no republican, I despise some of their activities but we (the UK) are not entirely without blame regarding the troubles.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Shane Duffy‏Verified account [MENTION=14730]shane[/MENTION]Duffy34

Following
More
More tragic news this morning, RIP Martin Mc Guinness a true hero for many off us �� god bless your family and close ones #ireland
Has all the makings of a good twitter spat.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Probably between those that are irish and those that aren't.

And when is a twitter spat ever been 'good'? :)

People from Eire will have a totally different view of the IRA, and their history goes further back than the 70s. Unfortunately, it's the way of hate, where a nation was badly treated by the English over a century ago.
And so it perpetuates. Peace is always harder to achieve.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
People from Eire will have a totally different view of the IRA, and their history goes further back than the 70s . Unfortunately, it's the way of hate, where a nation was badly treated by the English over a century ago.
And so it perpetuates. Peace is always harder to achieve.

I obvs was referring to N Irish, TB.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Has all the makings of a good twitter spat.

Not as good as when Gerry Adams went on twitter and asked people to send any questions..... "what was your favourite explosion", "did you ride Shergar before you shot him", "remember when it was just you and Jeremy Beadle with beards, now everyone has one, it must be very frustrating" etc etc. That was very funny.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here