Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Q for the history buffs: Monte Cassino - anyone been?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The hardest fought battle of WW2 some say. Thinking of a day trip when down that way. Anyone recommend a tour guide etc?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I have been. You mustn't miss the opportunity to visit. I found it mind blowing.

Why? I genuienly know very very little about. The Italy campaign in general.

Binney on acid

NSC Patreon
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Why? I genuienly know very very little about. The Italy campaign in general.

The logistics, The fact that the Monastery was razed to the ground and rebuilt. It doesn't look less than 100 years old, and the endless rows of well manicured graves. I remember one of them was for a soldier who could have been no more than 18. His wife and two children never saw him again. I almost felt guilty for still being alive.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Why would some say, the Americans I assume.

Stop being an arse! Have you been? No. Then you've nothing to contribute to this thread. Anyway, back to question...

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The logistics, The fact that the Monastery was razed to the ground and rebuilt. It doesn't look less than 100 years old, and the endless rows of well manicured graves. I remember one of them was for a soldier who could have been no more than 18. His wife and two children never saw him again. I almost felt guilty for still being alive.
Thank you.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
55000 Allied casualties, compared to around 20000 Germans, was a brutal battle. Bit of local interest as well, - From Wiki - The fighting was brutal and often hand to hand, but the determined defence held and the Royal Sussex battalion was beaten off, once again sustaining over 50 per cent casualties. Over the two nights, the Royal Sussex Regiment lost 12 out of 15 officers and 162 out of 313 men who took part in the attack

Anyone ever read Sven Hassel's Monte Cassino ?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
So 75000 casualties compared to just under 2 million killed injured or captured in Stalingrad where every inch of ground was thought over.

War is never pleasant but preserved sites war graves and battle grounds do illustrate that we should avoid armed conflict when ever possible

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
So 75000 casualties compared to just under 2 million killed injured or captured in Stalingrad where every inch of ground was thought over.

War is never pleasant but preserved sites war graves and battle grounds do illustrate that we should avoid armed conflict when ever possible

Of course, I think what makes Cassino stand out is the relatively very small area of combat that produced these numbers of casualties, in 4 short battles, compared to Stalingrad which was over a much wider area, and over 5 months of constant fighting. Also it was a very high amount relative to Western Front losses, as losses were much higher on the Eastern Front, due to the brutality of the conflict.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Of course, I think what makes Cassino stand out is the relatively very small area of combat that produced these numbers of casualties, in 4 short battles, compared to Stalingrad which was over a much wider area, and over 5 months of constant fighting. Also it was a very high amount relative to Western Front losses, as losses were much higher on the Eastern Front, due to the brutality of the conflict.

Wasn't it also the reluctance to go around Cassino in the race to Rome that partly contributed to the number of attacks and casualties.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Portlock,

we went 2 years ago when visiting Rome.

Amaaaazing place. And will reduce you to tears mate.

I'll PM you guide we had. She was unbelievably knowledgeble ....

essbee.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Wasn't it also the reluctance to go around Cassino in the race to Rome that partly contributed to the number of attacks and casualties.

I'm not sure going around Cassino was an option was it? It had to be
taken. High ground guns and all that. It was crack German troops up there.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
We were with a maori lady when we went. She had lost a relative there.

The scale of losses for NZ, Aus, Canadian, Polish, US and British was
astronomical.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
My Grandad on my Mother's side was a Territorial who went out with the Cheshire Regiment to France in 1939, he was evacuated at Dunkirk then went to North Africa and fought in the 8th Army.

Subsequently he took part in the Italian campaign and I'm pretty certain the 6th Battalion Cheshires were at Monte Cassino.

He was demobbed in 1945 and couldn't cope with Civvy Street after what he had seen and been through by all accounts.

Walked out on my Grandmother and her two children and pretty well drank himself to death, I suppose it would be called Post Traumatic Stress Disorder these days.

Obviously I never met him and I don't even know where his Grave is, another Casualty of War, only one that wasn't so obvious.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here