Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Am I right to be surprised

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I met an Italian guy who runs a bar tonight (aged 27) who had never heard of Chuck Berry. I have to admit to being really surprised. Maybe I'm just too old. :shrug:

Is there anyone on NSC who has never heard of Chuck Berry?

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
A 27 year old Italian - not surprised at all.

There must be Italian pop/rock stars from the 50/60s that are unknowns here.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I'm never surprised on these things. One of my sons early girlfriends had never heard of Springsteen.

It does work bothways. My son saw the Weekend at the O2 recently and I just thought he was going to the O2 at the weekend and asked who he was going to see.

It almost turned into an Abbott and Costello sketch.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I'm never surprised on these things. One of my sons early girlfriends had never heard of Springsteen.

It does work bothways. My son saw the Weekend at the O2 recently and I just thought he was going to the O2 at the weekend and asked who he was going to see.

It almost turned into an Abbott and Costello sketch.

Who are Abbott and Costello, Australian politicians?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I remember telling a young 19 year old girl at my office last year, that Prince had just died.

Prince who? was her response. I think it must be an age thing.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
My son (22 at the time) had never heard of Lou Reed when he died. I still blame myself.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
no surprise at all

going back a few years I remember trying to explain to some lad of about 14 that Brighton were actually in the FA Cup Final

no way he said :facepalm:

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Go back to the year when you were were 27, then subtract 50-60 years, how many singers do you remember from that date? If I was to do that then I would be looking at the 1930s an era I know nothing about musically.

The answer is - you are old.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Go back to the year when you were were 27, then subtract 50-60 years, how many singers do you remember from that date? If I was to do that then I would be looking at the 1930s an era I know nothing about musically.

Correct

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick

Exactly my thoughts. My dad used to try to talk to me about the singers of his generation - Mario Lanza springs to mind - and I really had no interest at all to them really.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
21 yo Daughter had heard of him and knew his music. She is into her boy bands but knows music.
25 yo had no idea. But she is not in to music at all but Comedy Channel TV.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
There are quite a few boy bands, rappers, drum'n'bass stars, etc, around today that I have never heard of. Long may that continue!

On the other hand, I am aware - even if I'm not too enthusiastic about some of them - of acts before my time, from Perry Como, Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Al Bowley, Robert Johnson, Leadbelly, Glenn Miller, etc, so there's no reason why a 27 year old shouldn't have heard of Chuck Berry. My kids - from late teens to early 30s - know about Beatles, Kinks, The Who, Hendrix, etc.#......and Chuck Berry.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I met a 75 year old man in the Amazon rainforest who was part of a tribe. He'd never heard the song Diamond lights by Glenn & Chris.

I know they're very cut-off, but that's just bloody ridiculous!

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I met an Italian guy who runs a bar tonight (aged 27) who had never heard of Chuck Berry. I have to admit to being really surprised. Maybe I'm just too old. :shrug:

As we are talking abut Chuck Berry, it's probably a coping mechanism. The brain is a clever thing.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here