Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Portsmouth FC......Mickey Mouse Club

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
They are our traditionally historic rivals not CPFC, I am like you love to see them losing and struggling.

I've never bought into this. Pompey are and have always been historic rivals with Southampton, we're not even on their radar in that respect. Whilst I dislike them intensely, and have taken great joy from their spectacular fall from grace and subsequent prolongued shitness, there's never really been a PFC / BHAFC rivalry to speak of. Mutual disdain is about as far as its gone I'd say.

Were there ever any anti-Pompey chants going up at the Goldstone prior to the Palace rivalry ? Bet there weren't.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
They are our traditionally historic rivals not CPFC, I am like you love to see them losing and struggling.

MASSIVE myth

People often say they were our 'great rivals in the late 60s'. We played them FOUR times in the sixties, and FIVE times in the 70s.

We played Palace five times in one SEASON in 76/77

Altogether, we've played Portsmouth 43 times in nearly 100 YEARS of League football.

Palace on the other hand, over 90 times

D

Deleted member 2719

Many of us on here detest them more than Palace, I always do a mini fist pump moment when I find out they've lost!

Only a mini fist pump, i go for the double handed and run down the street....................................then relax.

D

Deleted member 2719

I've never bought into this. Pompey are and have always been historic rivals with Southampton, we're not even on their radar in that respect. Whilst I dislike them intensely, and have taken great joy from their spectacular fall from grace and subsequent prolongued shitness, there's never really been a PFC / BHAFC rivalry to speak of. Mutual disdain is about as far as its gone I'd say.

Were there ever any anti-Pompey chants going up at the Goldstone prior to the Palace rivalry ? Bet there weren't.

Over this side of the County Pompey are hated and it is reciprocated although deep down they have to hate Southampton more, it's an image thing.
Pompey are ahead of Palace for hate-ability in my book and if you ask the longer term residence of this part of Sussex i am sure most will agree, albeit when they are away from the AMEX and any Brightonians!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Over this side of the County Pompey are hated and it is reciprocated although deep down they have to hate Southampton more, it's an image thing.
Pompey are ahead of Palace for hate-ability in my book and if you ask the longer term residence of this part of Sussex i am sure most will agree, albeit when they are away from the AMEX and any Brightonians!

Sure, I can well believe that SOME Albion fans hate Pompey more than Palace, and that could be a proximity thing if you're in the west of the county.

But we're talking "traditional rivals". They have never been our traditional rivals. Any football fan who truly knows his spuds would say its Pompey/Southampton and Brighton/Palace. At no point did we "switch" from a Pompey rivalry as such, its just never been there.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Yup, very much a geography thing. I live in Chichester which, aside from a fair amount of plastic supporters, is Pompey territory. I respect the crowd sizes they've been getting in the bottom division, and a few are alright, but they are a pretty clueless, contemptible bunch of skate botherers.
There is no traditional rivalry, but they're not keen on us either, and I think a lot of that at the moment is good old fashioned jealousy, long may it continue.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX

AGREED Mouldy. Always been Pompey territory around Chichester, Bognor, littlehampton. We have a good foothold in these areas but what bugs me is Sussex residents supporting a Hampshire club. I know what the replies would be....Chichester is only a few miles away from Portsmouth while Brighton is nearly an hour away. Still bugs me though.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Bet this has caused enormous excitement in the Bell End at Fratton Park.

Maybe they could change it to the Tinkerbell End.

PS: #twats

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I do love a good Disney sing song though. Perhaps....

Chim chimernee chim chimernee
Chim chim cheroo
We paid ninety five grand a week to Kanu
Chim chim cheree
Old 'Arry said "Triffic! It weren't down to me!"

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
I do love a good Disney sing song though. Perhaps....

Chim chim cheroo
We paid ninety five grand a week to Kanu
Chim chim cheree
Old 'Arry said "Triffic! It weren't down to me!"

This thread should include a Poll, not who is our biggest rivals but which club do you detest the most? Portsmouth or Palace?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
This thread should include a Poll, not who is our biggest rivals but which club do you detest the most? Portsmouth or Palace?

Only if it fits a Disney song, OK? :lol:

D

Deleted member 2719

Sure, I can well believe that SOME Albion fans hate Pompey more than Palace, and that could be a proximity thing if you're in the west of the county.

But we're talking "traditional rivals". They have never been our traditional rivals. Any football fan who truly knows his spuds would say its Pompey/Southampton and Brighton/Palace. At no point did we "switch" from a Pompey rivalry as such, its just never been there.

Hey Easy, i will still go along with our Palace rivalry, however beating Pompey and being in a higher division gives me soon much pleasure endlessly.

They have been off the smug-ometer for far to long. This side of Sussex are now revelling in it.

Just hope this Disney guy is thinking of making Fratton into a theme park. :O

:rave:

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
AGREED Mouldy. Always been Pompey territory around Chichester, Bognor, littlehampton. We have a good foothold in these areas but what bugs me is Sussex residents supporting a Hampshire club. I know what the replies would be....Chichester is only a few miles away from Portsmouth while Brighton is nearly an hour away. Still bugs me though.

Littlehampton is Albion territory, anything west of L.A is Pompey.

D

Deleted member 2719

How are those gobby Pompey north of the downs at the moment Gullsworth?:lolol::clap:

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I like Portsmouth, an unpretentious club with a good fanbase of loyal supporters and city centre (ish) stadium.

Have always found Southampton arrogant, as if they own all football south of London. Posh prick Rupert Lowe and the physio Adkins were two good examples of this.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
How are those gobby Pompey north of the downs at the moment Gullsworth?:lolol::clap:

Very quiet lately. But I am sure they will re surface if they gain promotion. Interest in Albion has eclipsed them among the neutrals. Lots of locals now regularly visit the Amex, probably many more than frequent that cesspit Fratton Park.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here