Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Student Rugby at Falmer

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I started at Sussex 10 years ago, and there was a very light hearted rivalry between Sussex and Brighton students at the time. Varsity certainly existed then, but it was a small thing played on a Wednesday afternoon (when pretty much all Universities have a free afternoon for sports). I think it was mostly small because Sussex were, frankly, rubbish. They'd lost to Brighton for a long time, and when Sussex eventually did beat Brighton a few years ago it had been so long that Brighton hadn't actually bothered to bring the trophy with them, assuming they'd just win again. However, after Sussex finally managed to get a win it seems to have become a bit bigger, although I think this may be the first time it's been done on a weekend.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
When I was a student at Sussex University, we used to scoff at the word "Varsity". It conjured up pictures of Oxford and Cambridge that were the complete antithesis of everything we thought Sussex stood for.

And, if we were going to do violence, the targets we selected were political, like the American embassy or government ministers meeting in Brighton.

Yep - I remember a big march we went on through Brighton to protest about Maggie - but in those days she was just a milk snatcher.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Do they still play the Kent match at Canerbury RFC ? Always great fun but very cold on that hill. The Coventry match was a curtain raiser to the Wasps match at the Ricoh. Glad you enjoy. When we started out all the rugby refs loved it. Ed Morrison. Tony Spreadbury. Derek Bevan. Jim Fleming all did their local ones...even a 21 year old Wayne Barnes did one in London. You are in illustrious company.

They do! Kent won for the first time in ages last year - that was bedlam after the match.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Well if you'd rather be playing cricket instead of being duck-taped to a tree after drinking someone else's alcohol-induced puke makes you a pussy, then I guess he is.

You missed out shoe! I don't know why, but the sports teams always seemed to have to drink the puke out of a shoe!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Newcastle University and Northumbria University have an annual competition between them over 26 different sports with a trophy (The Stan Calvert Memorial Cup) awarded to whichever University wins the most events.

It's been going for about 25 years or so.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Newcastle University and Northumbria University have an annual competition between them over 26 different sports with a trophy (The Stan Calvert Memorial Cup) awarded to whichever University wins the most events.

It's been going for about 25 years or so.

Stan is a legend...this and The Roses helped influence the Oxfam Varsity series to build on the initial rugby into the multi sports days. I was astonished to find in 1996 that none of the other AUs were doing something similar. It did take an outside body to kick start it way back then.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
This is the Albion's old training ground (pre-Lancing) isn't it?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here