Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ATFC Seagull View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't get where all this "varsity" stuff has suddenly appeared from. Seems like every uni now has to have a rivalry with a local one, for the sole purpose of a weekend loosely based around sporting fixtures but mostly drinking. Students + sports + lots of alcohol + a randomly concocted "rivalry" encourages by both student unions, it's hardly surprising it gets a bit out of hand. Can't see how it's really newsworthy.
    It was great in Nottingham. There were crowds of circa 15k for both the football and the cricket (at Meadow Lane / the City Ground and Trent Bridge). Don't recall any naughtiness though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy the Fish View Post
    Are people taking stupidity pills on here today or something

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      I reffed Kent v CCCU Varsity and a year later did Warwick v Coventry.

Amazing atmospheres.
      Part of the fantastic REMF Winning team of 2013.
      "on the stroke of half-time it took a world class save from Greening to deny McGoldrick."

Student Rugby at Falmer

1 Not allowed!
      I don't get where all this "varsity" stuff has suddenly appeared from.
      Ever heard of the boat race! That's been going a little while.

Seems like every uni now has to have a rivalry with a local one.
      It'll spread to football next!

for the sole purpose of a weekend loosely based around sporting fixtures but mostly drinking. Students + sports + lots of alcohol
      It was just on Sunday. I expect the 'drinking' will be done solely at the after party next year.

A randomly concocted "rivalry" encouraged by both student unions.
      You think it's random that two Universities next door each other have a rivalry? Odd.

It's hardly surprising it gets a bit out of hand. Can't see how it's really newsworthy.
      Almost any story with Hoolie behaviour is newsworthy. Especially for the Argus.
      :guitar:

0 Not allowed!
      When I was a student at Sussex University, we used to scoff at the word "Varsity". It conjured up pictures of Oxford and Cambridge that were the complete antithesis of everything we thought Sussex stood for.

And, if we were going to do violence, the targets we selected were political, like the American embassy or government ministers meeting in Brighton.
      не съгласявам се!

What if there were no hypothetical questions?
      Glory hunting since 1987 ManOfSussex's Avatar

Each to his choice, and I rejoice the lot has fallen to me
      In a fair ground-in a fair ground -
      Yea, Sussex by the sea!

0 Not allowed!
      Junior (is at Brighton) was telling me about this last night and showed me a few of the filmed 'moments' (he didn't go, because we were coming back from Leeds, obviously...............). All appears to have got slightly out of hand The rugby results have been declared 'void' and the inquest has started apparently. It wasn't just the rugby lot that caused trouble though.......................s everal other sports involved
      "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"
      Aberystwyth Town FC ATFC Seagull's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Rune View Post
      Ever heard of the boat race! That's been going a little while.

It'll spread to football next!

It was just on Sunday. I expect the 'drinking' will be done solely at the after party next year.

You think it's random that two Universities next door each other have a rivalry? Odd.

Almost any story with Hoolie behaviour is newsworthy. Especially for the Argus.
      Wow, I must have touched a nerve. I've never had a post taken apart line by line. Yes I've heard of the boat race. What I meant to say was, since when has it been applied outside of Oxford/Cambridge? Pretty sure most of these things are now done over a weekend as well. And regarding the concocted rivalry, I've no idea what its like to be a Brighton or Sussex student and whether there's a long running thing, but my knowledge of living down here is that there's no historical animosity between the two unis (given one is a relatively recent institution). Certainly a bit bizarre at my old uni where the Varsity weekend is against a university from 2 hrs drive away!
      Founding member of the Brighton and Hove Albion - Republic of Ireland Supporter's Club: COME ON YOU BOYS IN GREEN!!
      "You can't talk to the sheep - he's a liar!"
      Aberystwyth Town FC ATFC Seagull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Notters View Post
      It was great in Nottingham. There were crowds of circa 15k for both the football and the cricket (at Meadow Lane / the City Ground and Trent Bridge). Don't recall any naughtiness though.
      Sounds good - wasn't aware of it - how long ago was this?
      Founding member of the Brighton and Hove Albion - Republic of Ireland Supporter's Club: COME ON YOU BOYS IN GREEN!!
      "You can't talk to the sheep - he's a liar!"

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by dazzer6666 View Post
      Junior (is at Brighton) was telling me about this last night and showed me a few of the filmed 'moments' (he didn't go, because we were coming back from Leeds, obviously...............). All appears to have got slightly out of hand The rugby results have been declared 'void' and the inquest has started apparently. It wasn't just the rugby lot that caused trouble though.......................s everal other sports involved
      One of mine is also at Brighton, he was also coming back from Leeds yesterday, I'm really glad he wasn't involved in this.

It sounded like he had a safer night out in Leeds on Saturday night, than going to watch that rugby match.

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by bn9 bha View Post
      One of mine is also at Brighton, he was also coming back from Leeds yesterday, I'm really glad he wasn't involved in this.

It sounded like he had a safer night out in Leeds on Saturday night, than going to watch that rugby match.
      My thoughts exactly.

Mine's dropped out of one of the sports teams setup because the whole culture is around the 'social evenings', and if you don't want to get involved in the drinking games and humiliation every week (the 'social evenings' include loads that have no intention of actually playing/training) then you're basically ignored. Shame really, should be about the sport first.
      "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"