Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Aberystwyth Town FC ATFC Seagull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Rune View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Perhaps.

I'm saddened that this year's event was overshadowed by mindless violence.

The rivalry means a lot to many members of the various teams that competed from both Universities.

Maybe one day, the matches could be played at the Amex (post season of course) where security and stewarding is of a very high standard.
    Fair enough.

Just to explain where I come from, as re-reading my post it does come accross a bit strong.

I was quite heavily involved in university sports when I was at uni (2003-07), particularly American Football and a spot of rugby. The drinking/lad behaviour culture was always massive on Weds sports social nights and after weekend matches. We had a couple of big cross-sports events: rugby 7's and an inter-sport competition, and they were absolute carnage drinking and behaviour-wise. We all had our various rivalries with other unis, mostly local but some a bit further away for different reasons in different sports. If there'd been an organised "varsity" weekend where the whole uni banded together against another one, it'd have been absolute chaos no doubt. They now do it, and god knows what its like.It's next week actually, given the international break maybe I should head up and see! Personally it feels very plastic to me, but I guess the students there now don't feel that way. I sort of feel like it must be similar for other university "rivalries", but maybe I'm doing everyone a disservice.
    Founding member of the Brighton and Hove Albion - Republic of Ireland Supporter's Club: COME ON YOU BOYS IN GREEN!!
    "You can't talk to the sheep - he's a liar!"

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Notters View Post
      It was great in Nottingham. There were crowds of circa 15k for both the football and the cricket (at Meadow Lane / the City Ground and Trent Bridge). Don't recall any naughtiness though.
      Not when i was there there wasn't!
      Quote Originally Posted by Baldseagull View Post
      Calderon is the type of guy that if your daughter married, you would worry that she was not good enough for him.
      Members
      Une oasis d'horreur dans un désert d'ennui

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bracknell View Post
      When I was a student at Sussex University, we used to scoff at the word "Varsity". It conjured up pictures of Oxford and Cambridge that were the complete antithesis of everything we thought Sussex stood for.

And, if we were going to do violence, the targets we selected were political, like the American embassy or government ministers meeting in Brighton.
      Yeah, what are university students coming to? When I was at uni, I didn't hear anyone from my (or any non-Oxbridge place) talk about 'varsity' - we'd have ripped the piss out of anyone who did.

And I grew up in Moulsecoomb and never heard of any rivalry between the uni and the poly (as it was) - must be a recent thing.

1 Not allowed!
      I quite liked "we get AABs. You get STDs". As a Brighton poly student, I can confirm this is true.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      I going to the Army vrs Navy Rugby at Twickenham hope they behave and I will be missing the Bristol game come on sky change it to Friday or Sunday.
      THOSE IN GLASS PALACES SHOULD NOT THROW BRICKS

0 Not allowed!
      Sounds ghastly. Rugby playing students have always been wankers of the highest order, throw in the vile attitude of Varsity and Americanised attitudes of "college" jocks and you've got a pretty unsavoury load of old bollocks.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by dazzer6666 View Post
      Well if you'd rather be playing cricket instead of being duck-taped to a tree after drinking someone else's alcohol-induced puke makes you a pussy, then I guess he is.
      You've just described Husty's ideal Saturday night out.
      Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by W.C. View Post
      You've just described Husty's ideal Saturday night out.
      😂😂😂
      "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by dazzer6666 View Post
      It wasn't just the rugby lot that caused trouble though.......................s everal other sports involved
      Thankfully not the American Football team though from what I have heard. They get rid of all their aggression & violent tendencies on the field, rather than off it!
      "We are not footballers....we are cyclists."
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      They should have all been at the Amex learning how to serve a pint
      THOSE IN GLASS PALACES SHOULD NOT THROW BRICKS