Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Student Rugby at Falmer

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Why is there no thread on this??

Just seen a report on the BBC South programme, but missed the first bit, what happened?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Amazing scenes - drunk students using a Sussex v Brighton rugby game as an excuse to play at being hoolies, chucking flares and bottles. Apparently it was a sort of universities sports day between the 'rivals' from opposite sides of the A27.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Amazing scenes - drunk students using a Sussex v Brighton rugby game as an excuse to play at being hoolies, chucking flares and bottles. Apparently it was a sort of universities sports day between the 'rivals' from opposite sides of the A27.

Were there any Dirty Leeds fans there?

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Apparently the Sussex uni kids had a banner targeting the kids from the Poly along the lines of "Your dad works for my dad". Incendiary stuff, eh..

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Apparently the Sussex uni kids had a banner targeting the kids from the Poly along the lines of "Your dad works for my dad". Incendiary stuff, eh..

As pots and kettles go, that's about on a level with Ipswich fans taunting Norwich for being yokels.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I don't get where all this "varsity" stuff has suddenly appeared from. Seems like every uni now has to have a rivalry with a local one, for the sole purpose of a weekend loosely based around sporting fixtures but mostly drinking. Students + sports + lots of alcohol + a randomly concocted "rivalry" encourages by both student unions, it's hardly surprising it gets a bit out of hand. Can't see how it's really newsworthy.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I don't get where all this "varsity" stuff has suddenly appeared from. Seems like every uni now has to have a rivalry with a local one, for the sole purpose of a weekend loosely based around sporting fixtures but mostly drinking. Students + sports + lots of alcohol + a randomly concocted "rivalry" encourages by both student unions, it's hardly surprising it gets a bit out of hand. Can't see how it's really newsworthy.

It was great in Nottingham. There were crowds of circa 15k for both the football and the cricket (at Meadow Lane / the City Ground and Trent Bridge). Don't recall any naughtiness though.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I don't get where all this "varsity" stuff has suddenly appeared from.

Ever heard of the boat race! That's been going a little while.

Seems like every uni now has to have a rivalry with a local one.

It'll spread to football next!

for the sole purpose of a weekend loosely based around sporting fixtures but mostly drinking. Students + sports + lots of alcohol

It was just on Sunday. I expect the 'drinking' will be done solely at the after party next year.

A randomly concocted "rivalry" encouraged by both student unions.

You think it's random that two Universities next door each other have a rivalry? Odd.

It's hardly surprising it gets a bit out of hand. Can't see how it's really newsworthy.

Almost any story with Hoolie behaviour is newsworthy. Especially for the Argus.

When I was a student at Sussex University, we used to scoff at the word "Varsity". It conjured up pictures of Oxford and Cambridge that were the complete antithesis of everything we thought Sussex stood for.

And, if we were going to do violence, the targets we selected were political, like the American embassy or government ministers meeting in Brighton.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Junior (is at Brighton) was telling me about this last night and showed me a few of the filmed 'moments' (he didn't go, because we were coming back from Leeds, obviously...............). All appears to have got slightly out of hand :D The rugby results have been declared 'void' and the inquest has started apparently. It wasn't just the rugby lot that caused trouble though.......................several other sports involved

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Ever heard of the boat race! That's been going a little while.

It'll spread to football next!

It was just on Sunday. I expect the 'drinking' will be done solely at the after party next year.

You think it's random that two Universities next door each other have a rivalry? Odd.

Almost any story with Hoolie behaviour is newsworthy. Especially for the Argus.

Wow, I must have touched a nerve. I've never had a post taken apart line by line. Yes I've heard of the boat race. What I meant to say was, since when has it been applied outside of Oxford/Cambridge? Pretty sure most of these things are now done over a weekend as well. And regarding the concocted rivalry, I've no idea what its like to be a Brighton or Sussex student and whether there's a long running thing, but my knowledge of living down here is that there's no historical animosity between the two unis (given one is a relatively recent institution). Certainly a bit bizarre at my old uni where the Varsity weekend is against a university from 2 hrs drive away!

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
It was great in Nottingham. There were crowds of circa 15k for both the football and the cricket (at Meadow Lane / the City Ground and Trent Bridge). Don't recall any naughtiness though.

Sounds good - wasn't aware of it - how long ago was this?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Junior (is at Brighton) was telling me about this last night and showed me a few of the filmed 'moments' (he didn't go, because we were coming back from Leeds, obviously...............). All appears to have got slightly out of hand :D The rugby results have been declared 'void' and the inquest has started apparently. It wasn't just the rugby lot that caused trouble though.......................several other sports involved

One of mine is also at Brighton, he was also coming back from Leeds yesterday, I'm really glad he wasn't involved in this.

It sounded like he had a safer night out in Leeds on Saturday night, than going to watch that rugby match.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
One of mine is also at Brighton, he was also coming back from Leeds yesterday, I'm really glad he wasn't involved in this.

It sounded like he had a safer night out in Leeds on Saturday night, than going to watch that rugby match.

My thoughts exactly.

Mine's dropped out of one of the sports teams setup because the whole culture is around the 'social evenings', and if you don't want to get involved in the drinking games and humiliation every week (the 'social evenings' include loads that have no intention of actually playing/training) then you're basically ignored. Shame really, should be about the sport first.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here