Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chuba Akpom: Evaluation Thus Far?

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Problem is he's come here off the back of 6 months out. He did have a great pre season for arsenal before the injury and scored a few goals something like 5 in 4 games. Thing is now he needs 90 minutes for 3/4 weeks to get his sharpness up. Problem is he is likely to get 15/20 min cameos here. I don't think we will see the best of him at any stage whilst he is here. Hopefully he will pop up with a much needed winner somewhere in the run in. There is a good player in there somewhere.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Impossibly to say, based on the amount of time he's actually been on the pitch.
Clearly brought in, just in case.

Heaven forbid, that he gets a decent opportunity to show us what he's actually capable of.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think I would prefer Elvis. So far.

Mar 2, 2014
It's a thankless task he's been signed for. I think he'd be better off dropping into league 1 and being a first choice pick and getting a run of games. He won't fulfil any possible potential he may be hiding all the time he's coming on for 10/15 minutes at the tail end of a game. I don't think there's a player in there at all, but we can't fairly judge the man because he's never going to get to play for us.

It's just a shame we felt the need to sign someone else's cast off than take a chance on someone we're investing in in the Development Squad. Is Tilley not going to get a chance? Or Connor Tighe? If we'd signed someone experienced to bridge the gap, you could understand it but we didn't. We signed some other clubs' kid which really doesn't offer us anything at all.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Not good enough.

About as effective as playing March / Murphy / Knocky up front.

He looks like he could have a good game in him but pretty sure he is destined for a standard below where we currently are.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Unable o give opinion until he at least has played a full game. However unlike many on here think he has a lot to offer to play off Murray or Hemed. Quicker then any of other 3 and is a handfull.

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
OK, know it's it's tempting fate and he'll now go on and score the goal that guarantees us promotion, but...

What's your evaluation of the little of him that you've seen thus far?

For me, he's a bit of a big lump of limited effectiveness in the COG, Hemed mould. As unlikely to make the grade at Arsenal as Wilson was to make the grade at ManU.

And if it makes you happier... :fishing:

Or just something new to discuss on a dull Monday afternoon :shrug:

How on earth can you put him in the same bracket as Hemed? Let alone putting COG in the same bracket as Tomer. He has a better goals per minute record than anyone in our squad and the 3rd best in the entire league from players with 10 or more goals. Hemed is quite clearly in an entirely different league to Akpom. You really do baffle me sometimes.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
The type of player that needs a run of 4-5 games to get up to speed but he's not going to get that here in our position, can't see he's any better than Manu but maybe he's a better trainer/character

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
It's a thankless task he's been signed for. I think he'd be better off dropping into league 1 and being a first choice pick and getting a run of games. He won't fulfil any possible potential he may be hiding all the time he's coming on for 10/15 minutes at the tail end of a game. I don't think there's a player in there at all, but we can't fairly judge the man because he's never going to get to play for us.

It's just a shame we felt the need to sign someone else's cast off than take a chance on someone we're investing in in the Development Squad. Is Tilley not going to get a chance? Or Connor Tighe? If we'd signed someone experienced to bridge the gap, you could understand it but we didn't. We signed some other clubs' kid which really doesn't offer us anything at all.

Excellent post, why not give our own young strikers a chance rather than a loan player that isn't better than what we already have?

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
would rather have a look at this young Irish lad banging them in at the moment......17 is no age to start making an impression nowadays ? Akpom, Obika in disguise !

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
He hasn't had a proper opportunity to show but I remember seeing him play for Arsenal's U 23s against us last season and he was considerably better than any player in our U 23s on that night. he just needs a chance but, as others have said, is unlikely to get it here.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I can see potential there but, at this moment, it is just that.
I'd certainly put him above COG

I believe that COG has more to offer at the moment. He would hold his own in a Div 1 or 2 side but not sure that Akpom could I was excited when we signed Akpom and expected more from him being at Arsenal but I must admit to being disappointed. at the moment but hope that he can prove otherwise. I dont see him as being as good as Wilson more a Manu mk 2.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Insufficient data to form a considered opinion yet, except to say that he's very quick, quite strong and pretty direct. Good qualities. Scoring would help...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There's no point slagging the guy off because all it takes is one goal scored at the right time for him to become - like Robbie Reinelt - an Albion legend.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here