View Poll Results: How do you say the word "Forehead"

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fore Head

    62 62.00%
  • Forrid

    33 33.00%
  • Something else (please state)

    5 5.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 39
  1. #11
    Members
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    253


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Funnily enough, I've been thinking about this recently as I keep hearing it pronounced four-head. It sounds very strange to me as well as being a nonsensical pronunciation.

    Perhaps one of the weirdos who says 'four-head' could explain how this rhyme would make sense

    There was a little girl,
    Who had a little curl,
    Right in the middle of her forehead.
    When she was good,
    She was very good indeed,
    But when she was bad she was hore-head.
    Simple...

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #12
      On fire Lord Bracknell's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      104 Upper Grosvenor Street, Mayfair
      Posts
      39,583


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Moshe Gariani View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Don't forget Keenya and Cuventry...

      My Mum talks posh so I know these things...
      My mum wasn't posh, but she always pronounced stair rods (as in "it's raining stair rods") as "sterruds", with no noticeable pause between the two syllables. Has anyone else come across this?
      не съгласявам се!

      What if there were no hypothetical questions?
    • #13
      Members GT49er's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2009
      Location
      Gloucester
      Posts
      15,030


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by maglers View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Simple...
      Simple.........but wrong!
    • #14
      Members Chicken Run's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      West Hove
      Posts
      6,386


      0 Not allowed!
      Spam
    • #15
      Together (sometimes) Thunder Bolt's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2009
      Location
      BN1 9BL
      Posts
      30,848


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Moshe Gariani View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Don't forget Keenya and Cuventry...

      My Mum talks posh so I know these things...
      Keenya was correct until they got independence. Jomo Kenyatta was the first president and the pronunciation was changed to Ken ya, from his name.
      Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
    • #16
      Members Bakero's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2010
      Location
      Sevilla, Espaņa
      Posts
      2,872


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by dazzer6666 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Forred according to Cambridge Dictionary

      http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...glish/forehead
      Forrid or forehead according to Cambridge dictionary.
    • #17
      You can't change fighters Muhammed 'im hard' Bruce Lee's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2005
      Location
      This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England
      Posts
      9,992


      1 Not allowed!
      Noggin
      Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible c'unt... me.
    • #18
      Members dazzer6666's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2013
      Location
      Burgess Hill
      Posts
      12,923


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bakero View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Forrid or forehead according to Cambridge dictionary.
      Not according to the audio.....
      "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"
    • #19
      Resident pedant Triggaaar's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Location
      Goldstone
      Posts
      29,876

      There's been an eruption
    • #20
      Resident pedant Triggaaar's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Location
      Goldstone
      Posts
      29,876


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Funnily enough, I've been thinking about this recently as I keep hearing it pronounced four-head. It sounds very strange to me as well as being a nonsensical pronunciation.
      How is it nonsensical? It seems it's the original pronunciation.

      Perhaps one of the weirdos who says 'four-head' could explain how this rhyme would make sense

      There was a little girl,
      Who had a little curl,
      Right in the middle of her forehead.
      When she was good,
      She was very good indeed,
      But when she was bad she was horrid.
      That was written by someone who wanted to make use of the 'forrid' pronunciation.
      There's been an eruption

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •