Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings against. dirty Leeds

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I haven't seen a thread anywhere.. Apologies if I've missed one.

I only listened to the game, so would welcome the views from those who attended/ watched.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
To be fair, we played ok. Unstuck by a non challenged opening goal and a silly mistake for the pen. Anyone that rates the players low don't really have a clue. Personally thought, other than the pen, Tomori fitted in very well.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I wouldn't necessarily mark down any individual player on last nights performance, but I would make a point about our lacklustre performance in the first half and the game plan set by the management team. There was some poor body language and some words had between players which I have not witnessed previously and no clear leader on the pitch, the forwards worked hard to close down and pressurise the Leeds defence, but the midfield struggled to gain a foothold.
I question the strategy of going away and playing with a defence game plan and accepting a loss, when we could play our normal game and probably score but would do no worse than last night.
But not dwelling on this result we need to get back to winning ways, so lets hope the management team will be a little more positive because i believe the defencive strategy last night affected the players and their approach to the game.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Still no ratings?
Here are mine - 6-average

Stockdale 6 - nothing to do
Tomori 7
Rosenoir 6
Dunk 6.5
Huenenmeier 8
Kayal 7
Stephens 6
Knockaert 6
Skalak 6
Baldock 6
Murray 6

March 7

Thought we did okay but nothing more. I may have been generous with Murray especially given the chances he missed, but at least he was in the position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I question the not starting of March. He is so effective when he does come on and perhaps rather than chasing a goal or more we may be in a position to replace him when we are in front if required.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Thought we played ok.
Big moments were penalty as have no doubt we would have been pushing for equaliser in last 10mins and still cant understand why Dunk didnt jump with Wood for goal

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Thought we played ok.
Big moments were penalty as have no doubt we would have been pushing for equaliser in last 10mins and still cant understand why Dunk didnt jump with Wood for goal

Wood was very canny with that headed goal. He dropped off just before the cross came in, and lost Dunk, while allowing himself the forward movement to attack the ball. Hopefully, Lewis will learn from that.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Still no ratings?
Here are mine - 6-average

Stockdale 6 - nothing to do
Tomori 6.5 -- loses a point for that naive challenge
Rosenoir 6
Dunk 6.5
Huenemeier 7.5
Kayal 8 MotM -- tigerish and tenacious, hope that injury isn't too bad
Stephens 5 -- had his poorest game for a while
Knockaert 6 -- another frustrating finish, he needs to be less selfish
Skalak 5
Baldock 6
Murray 6

March 7

Thought we did okay but nothing more. I may have been generous with Murray especially given the chances he missed, but at least he was in the position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yours aren't too far off mine, so I've amended yours in your original post. Agree with your comment about Murray. It was close, we probably had more good opportunities than them.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Stockdale 6 - nothing he could do about the first goal, distribution good
Tomori 6.5 - apart from the lunge, did well defensively, although doesn't offer much going forward, we missed Bruno as an outlet and I think Knocky missed him too
Rosenoir 6.5
Dunk 6 - at (some at least) fault for their first
Huenemeier 8 - brilliant performance, some great tackles and so composed on the ball. Easy MOM for me
Kayal 7 - getting back to his snappy best. One great run in the first half
Stephens 6.5
Knockaert 6 - one of those (away) days again. Some bad decisions (one in particular after a good run when he should have squared it to Murray)
Skalak 6 - solid enough
Baldock 6 - industrious as usual but not one of his better games
Murray 6 - dominated their CBs in the air but missed two good chances

March - 6 - looked lively
Norwood/Akpom - 5 - no impact

We weren't bad at all, was a tight game away to a pretty decent team and their striker took his chances, ours didn't. Could easily have been 2-0 the other way on another day.

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
From watching on TV

Stockdale 6
Tomori 7
Hunemeier 8 MOTM
Dunk 6
Rosenior 6.5
Knockaert 6.5
Kayal 7
Stephens 6
Skalak 6.5
Murray 5.5
Baldock 6

March 7
Akpom 5
Norwood 6

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Stockdale 6 - nothing to do so hard to rate him. Could he have come for the cross for the first goal, maybe, but probably not.
Tomori 6 - a generally impressive performance given the importance of the game, but loses marks for a reckless lunge for the penalty which wasn't needed.
Rosenoir 6 - average
Dunk 7 - always looks more stretched when not alongside Duffy
Huenenmeier 7 - decent enough performance
Kayal 8 - my man of the match, put in a very hard and capable shift and won a lot of the ball
Stephens 6 - less convincing than normal, went missing for a lot of the game and didn't use the ball very well
Knockaert 6 - one decent run, but otherwise supply to him was restricted well by Leeds. Stephens failed to bring him into the game enough
Skalak 6 - average
Baldock 6 - average, not much service, but worked hard as ever
Murray 6 - our only threat, but sadly didn't take either of the two great opportunities he had

March 7 - as always looked great off the bench. More direct than any of our other wing options and could have created a goal or two with a bit more luck
Norwood 6 - not on long enough to judge, but in the limited time he was there he didn't have the ball in the right areas

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Stockdale 6 - nothing to do so hard to rate him. Could he have come for the cross for the first goal, maybe, but probably not.
Tomori 6 - a generally impressive performance given the importance of the game, but loses marks for a reckless lunge for the penalty which wasn't needed.
Rosenoir 6 - average
Dunk 7 - always looks more stretched when not alongside Duffy
Huenenmeier 7 - decent enough performance
Kayal 8 - my man of the match, put in a very hard wormking and capable shift and won a lot of the ball
Stephens 6 - less convincing than normal, went missing for a lot of the game and didn't use the ball very well
Knockaert 6 - one decent run, but otherwise supply to him was restricted well by Leeds. Stephens failed to bring him into the game enough
Skalak 6 - average
Baldock 6 - average, not much service, but worked hard as ever
Murray 6 - our only threat, but sadly didn't take either of the two great opportunities he had

March 7 - as always looked great off the bench. More direct than any of our other wing options and could have created a goal or two with a bit more luck
Norwood 6 - not on long enough to judge, but in the limited time he was there he didn't have the ball in the right areas

Is wormking like the Lion King but smaller and less roary?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

That'll be it, Knocky has another bang average away and it's down to Stephens. Yes, I was there.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
That'll be it, Knocky has another bang average away and it's down to Stephens. Yes, I was there.

I was also there. Although not sure that's relevant.

My point is teams (other than Derby) are working out that the way to stop Knocky is not to let him have the ball. It's obvious (unless you are Steve McClaren) and this doesn't necessarily mean that Knocky has had a bad game.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

My point is teams (other than Derby) are working out that the way to stop Knocky is not to let him have the ball. It's obvious (unless you are Steve McClaren) and this doesn't necessarily mean that Knocky has had a bad game.

The point of the presence part was I was waiting for the question. I love AK in full flow as much as any fan, but many recent games (especially away) should be in the '3' score area.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Watched on the TV and the commentators made the point that we needed to get Knockaert more involved, more than Leeds cutting off the supply. I honestly think it's a bit of both. We seem to set up much more conservatively away. At home Knockaert is really at his most dangerous 30 yards from our own goal when our opponents' attack breaks down. We basically scored the same goal three times over against Reading for example, whereas at Leeds we never looked like hitting them on the break at pace.

I also think we missed Bruno in this respect, he links up with Knocky far better than Tomori.

Otherwise the marks on this thread are about right, Uwe and Kayal the two players who stood out, Stephens poor and Tomori doing nothing wrong except the penalty whilst generally not being Bruno.

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
Not only was Wood's movement good, he gives a little "hand-off" to Dunk's chest at the key moment which stops Dunk from getting close to him.

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
Standouts for me were Huenemeier, Kayal and Tomori (despite his one error in giving away the penalty). Would give them all a 7.5 or 8 out of 10.

The rest were OK. It was a fairly decent performance all in all, and on another day we actually could have stolen a victory. On the balance of play I don't feel Leeds warranted the 3 points.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here