Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jakarta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, but you listen to his music not his 'life choices' don't you? Not many musicians would survive a close examination of their private lives...

Anyway 90 was a damn good innings considering where he came from and how he lived his life.
    So in effect, you're saying it's ok to be a paedophile if he churned out great music? So, by your reckoning, listening/streaming/downloading Gary Glitter is fine, because he bashed out some decent tunes. I'll also just download the Lostprophets back catalogue because, well, megalolz.

The man was a paedophile, pure and simple, and imprisoned under the Mann act in America. To me it's as distasteful to celebrate his life any more than it would be to look affectionately back at Gary Glitters life when he passes.
    I can take the despair, it's the hope I can't stand......

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Sounds like a bird, soaring high. An albatross perhaps? RIP.

1 Not allowed!
      I saw Chuck Berry in the 70s at The Rainbow. Played about 50 minutes with a pick up band, but nothing else was on that night and I'm glad I saw one of the legends. Beatles, Stones, Beach Boys all played his stuff plus the brilliant bit in Back to the Future. RIP CB.
      I hope you meet someone your height, so you can see eye to eye with someone as small as you!

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Is it PotG? View Post
      Sounds like a bird, soaring high. An albatross perhaps? RIP.

Yes, spot on there so much of his stuff has been recycled
      I haven't always followed the stripes. ||||

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Worthingite View Post
      So in effect, you're saying it's ok to be a paedophile if he churned out great music? So, by your reckoning, listening/streaming/downloading Gary Glitter is fine, because he bashed out some decent tunes. I'll also just download the Lostprophets back catalogue because, well, megalolz.

The man was a paedophile, pure and simple, and imprisoned under the Mann act in America. To me it's as distasteful to celebrate his life any more than it would be to look affectionately back at Gary Glitters life when he passes.
      Exactly all these things.

1 Not allowed!
      One of the fathers of our music world... Even if young folk didn't know it, we all owe him a lot.
      His body will lay to rest but his music will rock on

As for the negative comments about the man, nobody is celebrating or supporting all that he did. He was never a "good" human being- just an amazing musician . Many others in that business have flawed personalities.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Worthingite View Post

No, but they were different days, for example I love Led Zeppelin but they way they behaved on Tour with underage girls would be unacceptable now, does it stop me appreciating their music? No it doesn't.

0 Not allowed!
      Possibly where he is headed, a great song...

PsYcHoBiLlY fReAkOuT "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law"

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Super Steve Earle View Post
      I saw Chuck Berry in the 70s at The Rainbow. Played about 50 minutes with a pick up band, but nothing else was on that night and I'm glad I saw one of the legends. Beatles, Stones, Beach Boys all played his stuff plus the brilliant bit in Back to the Future. RIP CB.
      Was that the legendary gig in Finsbury Park with sun artists or a solo gig ?

You do know it is a religious cult / church now ?
      PsYcHoBiLlY fReAkOuT "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law"

0 Not allowed!
      Potential question in a Philosophy or Arts subject exam: "Does breaking the law invalidate the quality of an artist's work?"

Personally I am able to accept that, on the one hand, Chuck Berry was a supremely talented musician and song-writer..... and that is not an over-statement. Stuff that he wrote was streets ahead of anybody else in his generation. It was about everyday life for teenagers, witty and clever lyrics that were very well written and very well performed. The words icon and legend are over-used, but he came closer than most.

On the other hand, he was not a very nice man for all the reasons listed above, which I am not attempting to defend. It might alter the views of an individual about the person. It does not alter my own view of his artistic output, of which I am in awe, Teenage Wedding, Promised Land and Memphis, Tennessee being particular favourites.
      "In football, everything is complicated by the presence of the opposing team". Jean-Paul Sartre.