Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 613141516171819 ... LastLast

2 Not allowed!
    Did anyone scream for a Policeman at the time?
    The definitive archive of Albion programmes

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Massive up 170417 LamieRobertson's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Giraffe View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Agreed. Lets be honest it needed sanitising, it really did, but we have gone to the extreme at the AMEX.

That said, it is a nice and friendly place to take your family, but it isn't as intimidating to the opposition as it could be.

One thing we really noticed on saturday was how few women were in the Leeds support. Didn't see any behind the goal to our right. And they call us gay....
      I'll take that middle paragraph as I'm of an age where I'm quite happy with how things are at the Amex ..I'd also point out that it's been ideal to grow the fan base and attract family's who will be our future support

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Hiney View Post
      Did anyone scream for a Policeman at the time?
      No.

4 Not allowed!
      Agreed. Lets be honest it needed sanitising, it really did, but we have gone to the extreme at the AMEX.

That said, it is a nice and friendly place to take your family, but it isn't as intimidating to the opposition as it could be.

One thing we really noticed on saturday was how few women were in the Leeds support. Didn't see any behind the goal to our right. And they call us gay....
      To be fair, it is quite difficult to tell the difference in Leeds.
      The definitive archive of Albion programmes

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gritt23 View Post
      I know it was a slightly ugly moment, and not actions to be condoned, but this is LEEDS. In the great scheme of things, this was unbelievably minor. Maybe I'll sound like an old git here, but when it comes to violent fans and this particular club, then we are talking a group of fans whose violence through the 80's (my formative supporting years) was truly dreadful.

Violence at Birmingham in 1985 led to a young fan dying from head injuries after a wall collapsed in the ground. The reason many people forget about that day (and look it up, the scenes were truly dreadful that day) was because it happened on the same day as the Bradford fire. And on the subject of Bradford, when Leeds played them at Odsal (?) Stadium the next year while Valley Parade was being rebuilt, the Leeds fans set fire to the chip van on the terrace - no horrendous, life changing memories being brought back up for the home fans on that day then, eh? Classy. And that's just two examples of their behaviour in the grounds, not talking about the cases of walking down streets vandalising cars, smashing windows, setting fire to vehicles by lighting their fuel tanks ......

This bloke, shoved an opposing player when he came close, and swore at him. Not great, and it wouldn't happen at the theatre, but can we not get too carried away by this, it's not crime of the century, it probably wasn't even crime of the evening, in Elland Road.

#perspective
      Agree......twattish fan (fairly gently) pushes player (possibly in anger at dropping his meat and potato snack) who ends up in crowd and swears at him, no harm done to anyone. Knob - undoubtedly. Assault ? Hardly. Bet Uwe gives not a **** about it.
      "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"

2 Not allowed!
      Obviously we saw worse incidents in the 70s and 80s but players and officials having entitlement to protection from being manhandled by spectators isn't really an example of the game being over-sanitised, it is pretty fundamental. It is difficult to single out individuals in the case of mass pitch invasions but not here and some proportionate action should be taken. It's only the very high level of professionalism from Uwe and his team-mates that prevented this from being a much more unsavoury incident.

0 Not allowed!
      The Palace fan who went on the pitch, to try and punch Delaney has got away with a ban, so I'm sure the Leeds fan will.
      Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
      If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed. -Mark Twain

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by dazzer6666 View Post
      Bet Uwe gives not a **** about it.
      The way he shrugged it off and didn't react in the slightest certainly suggests this. The bloke did behave like a knob and Leeds probably should take some action against him but I'm not sure why people are getting their knickers in such a twist about it.
      *JCL since 1976 - FA Cup final, replay and semi, two play-off finals, Hereford, three Championships, eight promotions, five relegations, four home stadiums*

1 Not allowed!

"Intimidating to the opposition"? What do you mean by this, opposition fans or opposition players?

If it's the opposition fans then the club's policy is to welcome them and encourage their return. They recognise the fan demographic has changed over the years and they won't change that policy, it's good for business. Sure there are a few bad apples like Millwall but in the main, who wants to intimidate women, kids & elderly fans?

If it's the opposition players then it's down to our players on the pitch and us as fans on the terraces with our noise to intimidate them.

I see nothing extreme at the Amex, unless it's home and opposition fans mixing after the game extremely well.
      We've come a long long way together, through the hard times and the good
      I have to celebrate you Brighton, I have to praise you like I should
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Bolt View Post
      I don't think the fan should be arrested for assault, but I do think he should be banned from Elland Road, as you can guarantee, would happen if one of our fans had done the same at the Amex.

Quite. Though I would make any ban time limited.