Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 512131415161718 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gritt23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know it was a slightly ugly moment, and not actions to be condoned, but this is LEEDS. In the great scheme of things, this was unbelievably minor. Maybe I'll sound like an old git here, but when it comes to violent fans and this particular club, then we are talking a group of fans whose violence through the 80's (my formative supporting years) was truly dreadful.

Violence at Birmingham in 1985 led to a young fan dying from head injuries after a wall collapsed in the ground. The reason many people forget about that day (and look it up, the scenes were truly dreadful that day) was because it happened on the same day as the Bradford fire. And on the subject of Bradford, when Leeds played them at Odsal (?) Stadium the next year while Valley Parade was being rebuilt, the Leeds fans set fire to the chip van on the terrace - no horrendous, life changing memories being brought back up for the home fans on that day then, eh? Classy. And that's just two examples of their behaviour in the grounds, not talking about the cases of walking down streets vandalising cars, smashing windows, setting fire to vehicles by lighting their fuel tanks ......

This bloke, shoved an opposing player when he came close, and swore at him. Not great, and it wouldn't happen at the theatre, but can we not get too carried away by this, it's not crime of the century, it probably wasn't even crime of the evening, in Elland Road.

#perspective
    Agreed. It highlights how clean football has become that this is a big incident now. Not saying he was right to do what he did and he 100% would be banned if he'd done that at the AMEX, but it doesn't even compare to the type of hooligan that we used to experience.

I'm more surprised that their club still carry out the marching on together thing with the nazi salutes. It's like a bloody nazi rally pre kick off!

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

4 Not allowed!
      If nothing is done about the incident it is tantamount to saying that this type of behaviour is now permitted, ie if an opposing player is within touching distance it is ok to push him. What next, a punch?
      never forget what Stanley, Archer and Bellotti did

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Giraffe View Post
      Agreed. It highlights how clean football has become that this is a big incident now. Not saying he was right to do what he did and he 100% would be banned if he'd done that at the AMEX, but it doesn't even compare to the type of hooligan that we used to experience.

I'm more surprised that their club still carry out the marching on together thing with the nazi salutes. It's like a bloody nazi rally pre kick off!
      not condoning what the clanger did....well out of order in my opinion , but what this has done is underline how pathetically nice we are to visitors at the amex.....oooohhhh 1200 travelling supporters ...clap , clap ......ooh johnny cllotpants plays his 200th game for fartchester utd clap clap ....faaaark that ....did any of you watch the forrest derby game at the weekend .....brilliant , proper atmosphere......most of the palace fans i know are looking forward to us going up so they can have a proper derby atmosphere again .......there are more edgy atmospheres in the high streets of luton , bradford , burnley and bolton on a saturday afternoon that what there are at most football matches.......sanitised to the hilt....for the better....?? i don't know.
      FLOUNDERING...!!!

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by sydney View Post
      not condoning what the clanger did....well out of order in my opinion , but what this has done is underline how pathetically nice we are to visitors at the amex.....oooohhhh 1200 travelling supporters ...clap , clap ......ooh johnny cllotpants plays his 200th game for fartchester utd clap clap ....faaaark that ....did any of you watch the forrest derby game at the weekend .....brilliant , proper atmosphere......most of the palace fans i know are looking forward to us going up so they can have a proper derby atmosphere again .......there are more edgy atmospheres in the high streets of luton , bradford , burnley and bolton on a saturday afternoon that what there are at most football matches.......sanitised to the hilt....for the better....?? i don't know.
      Agreed. Lets be honest it needed sanitising, it really did, but we have gone to the extreme at the AMEX.

That said, it is a nice and friendly place to take your family, but it isn't as intimidating to the opposition as it could be.

One thing we really noticed on saturday was how few women were in the Leeds support. Didn't see any behind the goal to our right. And they call us gay....
      Exiled Geordie

0 Not allowed!
      Safe standing and away fans by the pitchside should help the atmospheres around the country.

3 Not allowed!
      Agreed. Lets be honest it needed sanitising, it really did, but we have gone to the extreme at the AMEX.
      Yes, and yes.

No-one harks back to the dark days of the 70-80s, wishing we still had mindless violence going on up and down the country on a Saturday afternoon, but the middle ground was probably about 20-25 years ago when I felt perfectly safe at a football match, but there was still a proper atmosphere.
      "I looked straight across to Graham Turner and their whole bench was in tears."

0 Not allowed!

We were accused of making nazi salutes at Millwall, whilst chanting seagulls.
      Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
      If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed. -Mark Twain

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gritt23 View Post
      Yes, and yes.

No-one harks back to the dark days of the 70-80s, wishing we still had mindless violence going on up and down the country on a Saturday afternoon, but the middle ground was probably about 20-25 years ago when I felt perfectly safe at a football match, but there was still a proper atmosphere.
      All seater stadiums killed a lot of the atmosphere. Although Leeds appear to have got this right with allowing standing behind the goal. It's not safe standing though, but that is a nonsense anyway.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Bolt View Post
      Snow flakes are pretty and every one of them unique.
      They're also extremely delicate and can't stand the heat
      "But you accept that there is an increased risk of vehicle/bat collision"

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Easy 10 View Post
      They're also extremely delicate and can't stand the heat
      Which is why I liked the old name of melts. It sounded more descriptive.
      Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
      If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed. -Mark Twain