Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Huenemeier's vicious assault on disabled lees fan!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 8, 2005
I know it was a slightly ugly moment, and not actions to be condoned, but this is LEEDS. In the great scheme of things, this was unbelievably minor. Maybe I'll sound like an old git here, but when it comes to violent fans and this particular club, then we are talking a group of fans whose violence through the 80's (my formative supporting years) was truly dreadful.

Violence at Birmingham in 1985 led to a young fan dying from head injuries after a wall collapsed in the ground. The reason many people forget about that day (and look it up, the scenes were truly dreadful that day) was because it happened on the same day as the Bradford fire. And on the subject of Bradford, when Leeds played them at Odsal (?) Stadium the next year while Valley Parade was being rebuilt, the Leeds fans set fire to the chip van on the terrace - no horrendous, life changing memories being brought back up for the home fans on that day then, eh? Classy. And that's just two examples of their behaviour in the grounds, not talking about the cases of walking down streets vandalising cars, smashing windows, setting fire to vehicles by lighting their fuel tanks ......

This bloke, shoved an opposing player when he came close, and swore at him. Not great, and it wouldn't happen at the theatre, but can we not get too carried away by this, it's not crime of the century, it probably wasn't even crime of the evening, in Elland Road.

#perspective

Agreed. It highlights how clean football has become that this is a big incident now. Not saying he was right to do what he did and he 100% would be banned if he'd done that at the AMEX, but it doesn't even compare to the type of hooligan that we used to experience.

I'm more surprised that their club still carry out the marching on together thing with the nazi salutes. It's like a bloody nazi rally pre kick off!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
If nothing is done about the incident it is tantamount to saying that this type of behaviour is now permitted, ie if an opposing player is within touching distance it is ok to push him. What next, a punch?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Agreed. It highlights how clean football has become that this is a big incident now. Not saying he was right to do what he did and he 100% would be banned if he'd done that at the AMEX, but it doesn't even compare to the type of hooligan that we used to experience.

I'm more surprised that their club still carry out the marching on together thing with the nazi salutes. It's like a bloody nazi rally pre kick off!

not condoning what the clanger did....well out of order in my opinion , but what this has done is underline how pathetically nice we are to visitors at the amex.....oooohhhh 1200 travelling supporters ...clap , clap ......ooh johnny cllotpants plays his 200th game for fartchester utd clap clap ....faaaark that ....did any of you watch the forrest derby game at the weekend .....brilliant , proper atmosphere......most of the palace fans i know are looking forward to us going up so they can have a proper derby atmosphere again .......there are more edgy atmospheres in the high streets of luton , bradford , burnley and bolton on a saturday afternoon that what there are at most football matches.......sanitised to the hilt....for the better....?? i don't know.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
Aug 8, 2005
not condoning what the clanger did....well out of order in my opinion , but what this has done is underline how pathetically nice we are to visitors at the amex.....oooohhhh 1200 travelling supporters ...clap , clap ......ooh johnny cllotpants plays his 200th game for fartchester utd clap clap ....faaaark that ....did any of you watch the forrest derby game at the weekend .....brilliant , proper atmosphere......most of the palace fans i know are looking forward to us going up so they can have a proper derby atmosphere again .......there are more edgy atmospheres in the high streets of luton , bradford , burnley and bolton on a saturday afternoon that what there are at most football matches.......sanitised to the hilt....for the better....?? i don't know.

Agreed. Lets be honest it needed sanitising, it really did, but we have gone to the extreme at the AMEX.

That said, it is a nice and friendly place to take your family, but it isn't as intimidating to the opposition as it could be.

One thing we really noticed on saturday was how few women were in the Leeds support. Didn't see any behind the goal to our right. And they call us gay....

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Agreed. Lets be honest it needed sanitising, it really did, but we have gone to the extreme at the AMEX.

Yes, and yes.

No-one harks back to the dark days of the 70-80s, wishing we still had mindless violence going on up and down the country on a Saturday afternoon, but the middle ground was probably about 20-25 years ago when I felt perfectly safe at a football match, but there was still a proper atmosphere.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

We were accused of making nazi salutes at Millwall, whilst chanting seagulls.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
Aug 8, 2005
Yes, and yes.

No-one harks back to the dark days of the 70-80s, wishing we still had mindless violence going on up and down the country on a Saturday afternoon, but the middle ground was probably about 20-25 years ago when I felt perfectly safe at a football match, but there was still a proper atmosphere.

All seater stadiums killed a lot of the atmosphere. Although Leeds appear to have got this right with allowing standing behind the goal. It's not safe standing though, but that is a nonsense anyway.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

That said, it is a nice and friendly place to take your family, but it isn't as intimidating to the opposition as it could be.

One thing we really noticed on saturday was how few women were in the Leeds support. Didn't see any behind the goal to our right. And they call us gay....

I'll take that middle paragraph as I'm of an age where I'm quite happy with how things are at the Amex ..I'd also point out that it's been ideal to grow the fan base and attract family's who will be our future support

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall

To be fair, it is quite difficult to tell the difference in Leeds.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I know it was a slightly ugly moment, and not actions to be condoned, but this is LEEDS. In the great scheme of things, this was unbelievably minor. Maybe I'll sound like an old git here, but when it comes to violent fans and this particular club, then we are talking a group of fans whose violence through the 80's (my formative supporting years) was truly dreadful.

Violence at Birmingham in 1985 led to a young fan dying from head injuries after a wall collapsed in the ground. The reason many people forget about that day (and look it up, the scenes were truly dreadful that day) was because it happened on the same day as the Bradford fire. And on the subject of Bradford, when Leeds played them at Odsal (?) Stadium the next year while Valley Parade was being rebuilt, the Leeds fans set fire to the chip van on the terrace - no horrendous, life changing memories being brought back up for the home fans on that day then, eh? Classy. And that's just two examples of their behaviour in the grounds, not talking about the cases of walking down streets vandalising cars, smashing windows, setting fire to vehicles by lighting their fuel tanks ......

This bloke, shoved an opposing player when he came close, and swore at him. Not great, and it wouldn't happen at the theatre, but can we not get too carried away by this, it's not crime of the century, it probably wasn't even crime of the evening, in Elland Road.

#perspective

Agree......twattish fan (fairly gently) pushes player (possibly in anger at dropping his meat and potato snack) who ends up in crowd and swears at him, no harm done to anyone. Knob - undoubtedly. Assault ? Hardly. Bet Uwe gives not a **** about it.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Obviously we saw worse incidents in the 70s and 80s but players and officials having entitlement to protection from being manhandled by spectators isn't really an example of the game being over-sanitised, it is pretty fundamental. It is difficult to single out individuals in the case of mass pitch invasions but not here and some proportionate action should be taken. It's only the very high level of professionalism from Uwe and his team-mates that prevented this from being a much more unsavoury incident.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
The Palace fan who went on the pitch, to try and punch Delaney has got away with a ban, so I'm sure the Leeds fan will.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Bet Uwe gives not a **** about it.

The way he shrugged it off and didn't react in the slightest certainly suggests this. The bloke did behave like a knob and Leeds probably should take some action against him but I'm not sure why people are getting their knickers in such a twist about it.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

"Intimidating to the opposition"? What do you mean by this, opposition fans or opposition players?

If it's the opposition fans then the club's policy is to welcome them and encourage their return. They recognise the fan demographic has changed over the years and they won't change that policy, it's good for business. Sure there are a few bad apples like Millwall but in the main, who wants to intimidate women, kids & elderly fans?

If it's the opposition players then it's down to our players on the pitch and us as fans on the terraces with our noise to intimidate them.

I see nothing extreme at the Amex, unless it's home and opposition fans mixing after the game extremely well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here