Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Hughton too negative in the big games?

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
Their first goal was a bit soft and it looked like Dunk could have dealt with it better. I'm not blaming him just pointing out the fine margins in the game. Tomori's penalty was unfortunate in an otherwise good performance from him. Bearing in mind that our defense was missing 3 of our first choice defenders we weren't really troubled until the goal.

This, I thought the Leeds player was looking for the penalty as he had pushed the ball too far forward and was looking for a Brighton foot to fall over.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Nobody has mentioned the masterstroke by Gary Monk to bring on Dallas when he saw what March was doing to them. These are the finer points that make a decent manager and CH has done similar when needed.

Hardly. The summariser/commentators were drooling over that for the same reason whereas surely it was blinking obvious?!

That was not a masterstroke, it was an obvious substitution to shore up the Leeds defence.

Quite. And he not done it and March had inspired an equaliser and winner then the Leeds support would have been questioning his inability to spot such an obvious scenario.

What struck me more yesterday was how Knockaert kept drifting into the centre or deep to receive the ball leaving Murray isolated as Baldock had to cover the runs.

Disappointed to lose yes but not disappointed the way we set up, felt we were incredibly comfortable until they scored, then we had to change our style which so nearly bought just deserts and then a rash challenge killed the game off. Meh.

Just so frustrating to have to wait two weeks but given this gives the walking wounded a chance to recuperate I suppose it's a good thing.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It wasn't a soft goal. I'd rather believe Rosenior's description than yours, as I suspect he has a bit more experience than you.

[tweet]843390955743039488[/tweet]

Ok calm down, no need to be patronising, I think I know Rosenior has a BIT more experience than myself. I was thinking about the cross earlier that went through Dunk and Wood missed, my mistake sorry, but you can make your point without calling me cvnt in the process.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
When he plays negatively, he usually gets it right and we get the point or even a win. Well, that used to happen, but hasn't so much lately. If we go up it will serve us well in the premier league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
No, if anything he's far too proactive in how he approaches games. If anything, there are times when he should be much more reactive to the opposition standard and tactics we're up against.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Ok calm down, no need to be patronising, I think I know Rosenior has a BIT more experience than myself. I was thinking about the cross earlier that went through Dunk and Wood missed, my mistake sorry, but you can make your point without calling me cvnt in the process.

I think it's you who needs to calm down. My post was patronising but it wasn't abusive.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
we have won 4 games in 7. And last won away from home 10 days ago.

or two out of the last five, which projects a downward trajectory. Stats can say anything, but what we see and feel are more relevant. Eight games to go, its still very much in our gift, but many people have identified a more defensive game plan and poorer performance levels, maybe the players are uncomfortable at being put under pressure for long periods of the game defending, particularly when we have the ability and quality to go forward more.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
He played for a draw yesterday, and if we had got a point we all be happy.

Did he though? How many teams stick with 4-4-2 even in their toughest away games, including an out and out winger like Knockaert? I don't think it's a negative mindset tactically. Just that players are naturally cautious away from home and it's not always possible to impose themselves on the home team. There could even be an argument that if Hughton was MORE negative - by dropping in an extra central player - we could really get a grip on the match in midfield and build more attacks. But imagine how well that would go down with all of us geniuses that have the benefit of hindsight.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
or two out of the last five, which projects a downward trajectory. Stats can say anything, but what we see and feel are more relevant. Eight games to go, its still very much in our gift, but many people have identified a more defensive game plan and poorer performance levels, maybe the players are uncomfortable at being put under pressure for long periods of the game defending, particularly when we have the ability and quality to go forward more.

Ok. If it's purely based on fans watching the matches and gut feel then I've been at the matches and I disagree.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Bollocks, you were thinking "you cvnt" as you were writing.

" I'd rather believe Rosenior's description than yours, as I suspect he has a bit more experience than you." Has "you cvnt" written all over it.

You don't know me at all, because that is a word I've never used in my life. I don't think like that.
It was soft in as much as Wood was effectively given a free header due to Dunk's failure to put in a challenge.

Nine times out of ten, that would have gone over the bar.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I also wonder sometimes about the choices of substitutes used.
There were better prospects on the bench on Saturday than those that were used in my opinion.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It was soft in as much as Wood was effectively given a free header due to Dunk's failure to put in a challenge.

It was good centre forward play from Wood, faint to the near post, little shove on the defender as you check and come back out, who created the space for himself, that still needed a pin point cross.

In reviewing the goal a couple of times, the real failure is no one in front, at the near post or getting tight behind, Dunk should have been able to go near as he did, but someone should have been in behind or closer to that area. I'm not sure we concede there if your centre halves and defenders have been player together for weeks on end. It is a situation like that when that mental understanding, that instinctive ability to read and cover is badly missed. That isn't a criticism of those playing, just that you cannot gain that within a back four that have barely played together up against arguably the in from side in the league.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It was good centre forward play from Wood, faint to the near post, little shove on the defender as you check and come back out, who created the space for himself, that still needed a pin point cross.

In reviewing the goal a couple of times, the real failure is no one in front, at the near post or getting tight behind, Dunk should have been able to go near as he did, but someone should have been in behind or closer to that area. I'm not sure we concede there if your centre halves and defenders have been player together for weeks on end. It is a situation like that when that mental understanding, that instinctive ability to read and cover is badly missed. That isn't a criticism of those playing, just that you cannot gain that within a back four that have barely played together up against arguably the in from side in the league.

Yup. This.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here