Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Hughton too negative in the big games?

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
I can understand the mentality of keeping it tight in the first half, especially in tough away games, but on the few occasions we ran at the Leeds defence tonight they were shitting themselves. It's all very well trying to set up a 'counter attacking side' but sometimes I wonder if we'd be better off playing the likes of March from the start instead of giving the opposition too much respect.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It is easy to criticise after a few defeats but over the last two seasons CH's, frankly negative, away tactics have served us well

When it works, it's great but even then it tends to be nerve shredding. I'm just grateful he has chosen to go for it at home more often as there were plenty of games last season where we tried to sit on leads. It has been much better this season.

I guess what I am saying is that I am reluctant to criticise CH but I totally get what you are saying.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Yeah, he probably is. But overall he's not doing too badly is he. Second in the league and all that

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Yeah, he probably is. But overall he's not doing too badly is he. Second in the league and all that

He's definitely not but we are coming to the business end of the season again now. I'd hate for all our hard work to count for nothing yet again.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It is easy to criticise after a few defeats but over the last two seasons CH's, frankly negative, away tactics have served us well

When it works, it's great but even then it tends to be nerve shredding. I'm just grateful he has chosen to go for it at home more often as there were plenty of games last season where we tried to sit on leads. It has been much better this season.

I guess what I am saying is that I am reluctant to criticise CH but I totally get what you are saying.

I don't think he is negative. Today's stats were our 12 shots to Leeds 11, and 8 corners to their 3. Possession 50 50. Couldn't have done much more apart from score.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I do think he gives certain teams too much respect such as today and the two Newcastle games. In all of those I think we would have been much better off attacking than trying to stifle.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Mike Bailey was once accused of the same thing-be careful what you wish for,i suppose.

That said,we have an ex defender as manager and that's fine with me.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex

If I just gave you a thumbs down apologies. Using a crap tablet and meant to give thumbs up

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Didn't think we were that bad today. It will be a rollercoaster run in but I think we are safe for 2nd, just depends on how the mags perform on whether we finish champs

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
We never went out with any intention of taking that game to Leeds. We were at best going to try and nick a goal on the break probably late on. Their manager had the trump card with Chris Wood. It allowed them to play a patient game with the odd cross for him to get on the end of. Chris Hughton undone today but.............. like others have said his negative tactics have in the main paid dividends.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Hughton used to be able to pretty much guarantee a draw if he wanted last season. Whats happened this season?!

We lost 5 last season.

We've now lost 3 in 5.

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
I don't think he is negative. Today's stats were our 12 shots to Leeds 11, and 8 corners to their 3. Possession 50 50. Couldn't have done much more apart from score.

You can! if you dont score, then you dont allow your opponents to score! If they score then you score! Our away form mentality is poor at the moment !

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hughton used to be able to pretty much guarantee a draw if he wanted last season. Whats happened this season?!

We lost 5 last season.

We've now lost 3 in 5.

Defence is no longer settled and the midfield is less effective away from home too

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here