Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Hughton too negative in the big games?

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
maybe slightly too negative in big away games. but wouldn't change him for anyone else and we are going up!

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Well Leeds played with one up front at home so which manager was the negative one. Stockdale didn't have a save to make despite picking the ball out of the net twice.

If Murray and Knockaert had taken their opportunities we would have got a valuable draw or even a win. Fine margins.

Chris is an amazing manager in my eyes and I believe he has earned us to trust his judgement

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Negative ? He plays two wingers and two strikers in a 4 4 2 away to Leeds and you question whether he is negative ? Of course he is not. In my view Leeds were pretty negative for a home team and had few shots on target.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Attack at home and defend away, that's it from what I can see.
Doesn't look like that is going to change and could cost us this season.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Some Norwich fans said they same just before he left, but the tactic seems to work well in the Championship where he is a very good manager, I thought last night the whole teams mentality was a point would be a good result given the Newcastle and Huddersfield result and sat back too much till Leeds scored.

I do think he has question marks about his ability to manage in the PL - but it would be completely different to the other jobs he has had when Brighton go up.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Well Leeds played with one up front at home so which manager was the negative one. Stockdale didn't have a save to make despite picking the ball out of the net twice.

If Murray and Knockaert had taken their opportunities we would have got a valuable draw or even a win. Fine margins.

Chris is an amazing manager in my eyes and I believe he has earned us to trust his judgement

Fine margins. We had 13 shots with 3 on target, the same as Leeds. Two of our were cleared off the line.

OP define big games. Only Newcastle have beaten us home & away. We've beaten other top 6 sides, or are you saying 3 points in March is worth more than 3 points in October?

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Fine margins. We had 13 shots with 3 on target, the same as Leeds. Two of our were cleared off the line.

OP define big games. Only Newcastle have beaten us home & away. We've beaten other top 6 sides, or are you saying 3 points in March is worth more than 3 points in October?

Games at the business end of the season where more is on the line... Every result is crucial now as the games are fast running out, and yesterday was probably our biggest game this season bar the Newcastle match at the Amex.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Games at the business end of the season where more is on the line... Every result is crucial now as the games are fast running out, and yesterday was probably our biggest game this season bar the Newcastle match at the Amex.

Completely disagree re yesterday. Derby was a bigger game for a kick off imo.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Completely disagree re yesterday. Derby was a bigger game for a kick off imo.

I think most people have accepted the defeat because Huddersfield lost too, however, if we'd won yesterday I think Huddersfield would have been demoralized at the 9 point gap, now there is still everything to play for.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think most people have accepted the defeat because Huddersfield lost too, however, if we'd won yesterday I think Huddersfield would have been demoralized at the 9 point gap, now there is still everything to play for.

True but we really needed to win the Derby game, so it was a bigger game imo. Not losing against Leeds and Forest would have been fantastic but home form is what will get us there imo. I have lost faith in us away from home recently. I don't see a single away game left that is winnable when you look at our results and the recent results of the teams we have to play away from home. Of course it doesn't necessarily go like that.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
True but we really needed to win the Derby game, so it was a bigger game imo. Not losing against Leeds and Forest would have been fantastic but home form is what will get us there imo. I have lost faith in us away from home recently.

How I feel.

We do need to win our remaining home games and see what happens away from home. Hopefully one win somewhere and at least one, maybe two draws somewhere.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Football is SUCH small margins. Murray scores with his left when he pulls it across goal or the smack straight at the 'keeper goes a foot either side....totally different game.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

It appears that way, but three points is three points no matter when you win them. Consistency is what wins the league, not big games.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Football is SUCH small margins. Murray scores with his left when he pulls it across goal or the smack straight at the 'keeper goes a foot either side....totally different game.

....but we have been saying this about Murray away from home, all season. He starts most games and has scored two goals. Like Knockaert, he is a ' home pony ', in his comfort zone and performing well. CH should be giving Hemed a chance in away games. To bring on the immature and unproven Akpong yesterday was a baffling decision.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Nobody has mentioned the masterstroke by Gary Monk to bring on Dallas when he saw what March was doing to them. These are the finer points that make a decent manager and CH has done similar when needed.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here