Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Hughton too negative in the big games?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I don't think he is negative. Today's stats were our 12 shots to Leeds 11, and 8 corners to their 3. Possession 50 50. Couldn't have done much more apart from score.

Most of the good stuff came after they scored after 65 mins or whenever it was. We were negative up till then.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Because a goal changes the game. Until then, the tactics were fine, and we still had the point which we started with. Even after going a goal down, we created two great chances, both odds-on to bring a goal, but as it turned out, neither did. 1-1 changes the game again.

Skalak does a lot more in defence than March, so it makes abundant sense to start with him in a game like this when a point is an excellent return. Going all-out attack from the off is crazy when both teams start the match with a point.

Tactics were fine, but didn't work out. It happens. But over the season, his tactics have got us into second place and 1-10 to go up automatically. Works for me, even if not for the after-timers.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
It was another poor performance and another away game where certain key players failed to perform. These are the players who razzle dazzle at home but tend to give shorter shrift away. Hughton keeps faith with these players and surprise, surprise, away form doesn't improve.
He needs to rattle the cage more, shake things up and show these players that going through the motions away is not acceptable.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I do think away from home Hughton is a tad defensive. At home we are a different animal.

I admit the 1st half we were pretty poor but 2nd half we were far better and u know what... Leeds are a bloody good side at home and fighting for outside chance of top 2 they ain't a forest..they played well and I thought we played well 2nd half if just 1 chance went in we would of got something from the game

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
How March did not come on earlier is beyond me

Plus....why did we not see Hemed.....plus why was Murray on for the whole game?...two away goals all season. Plus why bring on Akpom instead of Hemed? Plus why give Skalac so long? Plus....WHY NORWOOD?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I don't think he is negative. Today's stats were our 12 shots to Leeds 11, and 8 corners to their 3. Possession 50 50. Couldn't have done much more apart from score.

This, if Murray had shot anywhere else at goal, instead of straight at Green, we would have got a point. Murray's finishing was pants today, and the truth is it has been for weeks. I'm sure my comments won't be popular.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
This, if Murray had shot anywhere else at goal, instead of straight at Green, we would have got a point. Murray's finishing was pants today, and the truth is it has been for weeks. I'm sure my comments won't be popular.

No complaints here.
He simply shouldn't start every away game. He does nothing away from the Amex to justify it. He and Knockaert both play at a lower level away from home and it shows. Hughton does himself no favours by giving Murray start after start.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

Will be with me. Don't know why other posters can't see that Woods finished his chance very well after fluffing his lines a couple of time before whereas Murray hit Green and scuffed slightly wide with his two best chances. End of basically.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
It was another poor performance and another away game where certain key players failed to perform. These are the players who razzle dazzle at home but tend to give shorter shrift away. Hughton keeps faith with these players and surprise, surprise, away form doesn't improve.
He needs to rattle the cage more, shake things up and show these players that going through the motions away is not acceptable.

It wasn't a poor performance, it was a disappointing result that could have been different had a couple of chances gone our way.. Leeds were very lucky not to concede an OG from Kayal's cross, Murray hit Green with the ball when all he needed to do was find a metre either side. Small margins, might have gone either way.

Sometimes we just have to accept that there is another team on the pitch..Leeds are rather one trick pony - without Woods they would be bottom half of the League - but they are well marshalled by Monk and got the rub of it tonight.

As for rattling the cage, CH did that last week. Posters were drooling over the same 11 that started tonight (bar Bruno out injured) frankly I thought Derby were so gash that it was difficult not to put on a good performance.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

They will with me, because they are spot on. Hemed deserves a run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Who's to say that if we'd played Solly and gone for it big time, we wouldn't have been 2 goals down by the break? Nobody knows. At half-time, it was looking like a pretty decent away performance with the strong possibility of winning it late on. Hughton plays the percentage and very successfully on the whole.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here