Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it too early plant my potatoes?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I gave up my allotment last year as it was getting too much for me and my son was not interested in working it if I kept it but am going to plant some potatoes in bags soon. Does anybody have any tips to get a good crop. Will probably buy the seed potatoes from Wilkinsons. I am also thinking of putting some runners in pots.

Use a compost bag turned inside out for the spuds. The black inside now being on the outside will absorb the sun and warm the soil quicker. Roll down to half way and fill bag to there, plant spuds normal depth. To earth up just roll the bag up as the tops grow and add more soil/compost. Don't forget to pierce the bottom of the bag for drainage and try to not under or over water.

You can also use old car tyres to grow in. Start with two tyres and add up to two more tyres as you earth up.

Good luck.

Btw, I planted 1st earlies up the allotment two weeks ago and 1st earlies at work Thursday just gone (all in the ground, not bags). Earlier than I'd usually plant up at the allotment, but I just have to get things in as and when I can up there. I'm sure they'll be fine.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
If anyone has nicely dug soil and fancies a bit of labour saving. Use one of these. Fantastic old tool for the job!

s893p.jpg

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here